View Poll Results: Which short story should win?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Define Line" by Luka Datas

0 0%
  • "The Heart of the Maze" by Keldrean

1 12.50%
  • "The Dark" by MrBF1V3

2 25.00%
  • "Of Watches and Waistcoats" by Facing

0 0%
  • "Afterkingdom" by RJ

2 25.00%
  • "Queen Oregano and Her Consort Turmeric" by danielausema

2 25.00%
  • "Unanswerable Question" by Hereford Eye

1 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

January/February 2015 Short Story Voting Thread, updated

The deadline has passed for the short story entries, and we have seven* excellent** stories:

"Define Line" by Luka Datas

"The Heart of the Maze" by Keldrean

"The Dark" by MrBF1V3

"Of Watches and Waistcoats" by Facing

"Afterkingdom" by RJ

"Queen Oregano and Her Consort Turmeric" by Daniel Ausema

"Unanswerable Question" by Hereford Eye

Well done getting your entries in on time, all. Be sure to give every story a read and vote in the poll. One vote each, and don't vote for your own story

*I missed one the first time, so this is a new thread and new poll
    ** I'm just assuming, as I have yet to read them...

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What's the voting deadline? I hope it spills over into the weekend when I'll have more time to read...

The 28th. I didn't put a definite closing time when I created the poll, but let's set it at midnight GMT...which is, umm, 7 pm Eastern, 4 pm Pacific. Is that enough time?

Yeah, I have some reading to do.

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    I went with the Kitchen folk as the story seemed the most complete and coherent of the bunch. This time, I learned a great deal about my own style - things Flung Poo has been attempting to tell me for years - and I look forward to next time.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Is that enough time?
    Pfft!!

Silly question. There is never enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by N. E. White View Post
    Pfft!!

Silly question. There is never enough time.
    So true...

Better get my reading skates on!

Maybe we could start putting the deadline in the subject line of the Voting Threads?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford Eye View Post
    I went with the Kitchen folk as the story seemed the most complete and coherent of the bunch. This time, I learned a great deal about my own style - things Flung Poo has been attempting to tell me for years - and I look forward to next time.
    I appreciate your style. First thing I read from you was about the court case trying to make a point. Being a little nosey and curious here, what did you learn? Are you going to try to change?

My vote is 80% for the kitchen story.

Once again there were many wonderful stories and the diversity of them makes comparisons difficult.

I'm going with the Heart of the Maze. Other stories did a better job with structural elements but this is the one that most grabbed me. If the point of the contests is to help each other improve our writing then I'm unwilling to deduct marks for a lack of editing.

I didn't look up once while I was reading this.

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    ... what did you learn? Are you going to try to change?
    A bunch of us carried on a lengthy debate a while back on what makes a story a story. This time around, there were two entries that hammered me with the notion that a story needs a crisis to make it complete. I have vigorously maintained that a conversation that reaches a conclusion constitutes a complete story while Flung Poo and Katherine the Great - well, Her Greatness kinda sorta leaned to my way of thinking - and my entry this month followed my bent. When I found myself dissatisfied with stories because they seemed more like chapters than complete stories, then I had to re-examine my stance. Re-examination left me conflicted as I still think my entry was a complete story but it also failed to contain a crisis. So, that's what I learned - that there are some conventions which ought to be heeded or, when ignored, should be self-explanatory in that ignorance.

Am I going to change? I'm a really old dog so I can't provide any certainties about new tricks. My micro-fiction for this month = still in work - is a case in point. With just 100 words to work with, I can justify to myself not worrying about crisis or no crisis but I find it difficult to kid myself about such things. We'll see how that turns out.

BTW: I play games with Fung Koo and KatG's handles because it's easy and because they have both been willing to teach me my craft over many years despite my cantankerous nature.
    Last edited by Hereford Eye; February 27th, 2015 at 11:42 AM.

Red face

I'm in conflict over whether to vote for "Unanswerable Question"

It worked for me, it felt complete. Knowing that the author knows that it might or might not be an "actual" story makes it feel more deserving.

I'm now 60% with the Kitchen story and 35.5% with the Great Question story.
    1 cup imagination. 2 cups jibber jabber. Mix and pour onto a bed of experience. Bake well.

I voted, now I will try to go back and make some meaningful comments. All good stories btw.

B5

It was a real toss up for me between Watches and Waistcoats and The Dark because both of the stories travelled.

In the end I voted for The Dark because it told a straight forward story that matched the theme and was the easiest one for me to understand on the first read through.

A few of the others were great but I really had to dig under some quite overwritten passages to gather their meaning.

Not an easy vote, as I enjoyed reading them all, but I went with AfterKingdom by RJ. And hopefully I'll find the time to offer comments on each in the next day or so. The vote is very tight at the moment, with no clear winning story, so if you haven't had a chance to vote yet, please read the stories snd vote soon!