Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Similarion a good book?

I am reading J.R.R Tolkiens book The Similarin and right now it is boring.

If anyone else has read this book, can you please tell me if I should finish it drop it at the library?

Finish it.

During class, I literally dropped my head on the desk it was so boring.

JUst tell me if it gets better and maybe more understandable.

It can be very difficult to read especially at the start with the whole creation of the world thing but I started to enjoy it more towards the end where they were explaing about the elves and the nem of numeanor.
    Its worth the read

Blog Entries
    No offense, SubZero, but The Silmarillion is pretty deep with a lot of characters and it may be too much for someone who has seen so few summers. If you don't get into it, put it aside for a couple of years and then try again. Please, no offense intended!!!

The Silmarillion is the history of Middle-Earth prior to LoTR. It reads somewhat like a history, too.

Some, like myself, find it very interesting to read the background of the M.E., what Gandalf actually is, and how the Elves arrived at the point in their history we find them at in LotR.

The Silmarillion is the BEST Tolkien work EEVVVERRRRR!!!!!!111111 one one one one one. It's a bit difficult to get into, but it's got some awesome tales - specifically the tale of Beren and Luthien (HoME3 has it in lay format, which is just beautiful), and the Children of Hurin. They're both pretty tragic, but just beautiful.... IMO, Tolkien NEVER topped these two tales.

A far superior work to Lord of the Rings in my opinion.

Silmarillion is the best book ever. Period.

IMHO ofcourse.

They're both pretty tragic, but just beautiful.... IMO, Tolkien NEVER topped these two tales.
    I'd agree with you but the I remember the tale of 'Aldarion and Erendis'.... Sigh.... and the Fall of Gondolin from HOME II....

Abstainer from Foolosophy
    Eh its decent. The problem is that it was edited to read like the author's own fan fiction. Which dries it out and makes it stumble quite a bit. Plus the really interesting stories are rather abbreviated and lack a great pace. But that is what you get when you read dead people. Well dead people that left some notes and a greedy heir.

Not that I did not enjoy the book at the time. But I was a kid when it came out there really was not the scope that there is today. Plus I think his son would have been much better served had he taken more time and put more effort into it so that some stories were not later published half-assed in Unfinished Tales etc.

The best thing about the book? It led to the fantastic career of Guy Gavriel Kay. Any one of his books far outpacing The Silmarillion in quality, imo.

My advice if you really want to stick with it and finish is to treat it as supplemental reading (assuming you have something else to read -- and unless economics preclude, what is the matter with you if you don't?). Read one story in it and then read something else. Or read it only in a specific locale or time -- your commute or break. Make it the book that you read right before you go to bed (help you relax and fall asleep from the sounds of it).

The Silmarillion is my favorite of Tolkien's books. For me it is like reading mythology and I love mythology, even though it can be hard to follow and drag at some points. There are some really great tales in it that are awesome, so I really think you should finish it. I also agree that you may want to read it in small bits. Read a single story at a time or something like that, but since you have already started it definately finish.

The Similarion's the indepth history behind the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. All of our worlds should be so detailed. As you read it, you'll realize that buried in those pages are so many potential stories just waiting to spring forth.

Personally I liked it, but it reads more like ancient mythology when you compare it to the LoTR, which has the voice of a (slightly) more modern storyteller. Some of the stories are really excellent, and really I wish more online gaming people would read it, since there's a ton of cool names to borrow/steal/pay homage to.

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    I tried to read the Similarion every year from 12 to 18. I finally stopped trying. I picked it up again when I was 25 and was actually able to read it. It's slow. It's methodical. It's good. But you really need to be in the right frame of mind at the time you start reading it or you'll never make it thought.

My advice, don't read it all in one sitting. Read a chapter here and a chapter there and you'll have an easier time with it. Read other material inbetween and it'll lighten the load.

That's my opinion.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    I'd do what Maus suggested, read a little bit at a time.

Myself, I found it boring, and tried to get through most of it, but was unable to do so. I can appreciate the quality of the book, but, I just could not get into it.

Definitely recommended if your a fan of the Lord of the Rings, which I am, but, it takes time to get it all.

Keyoke