Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by MWStover
    the French edition of HEROES DIE is the only edition of one of my novels to have earned out its advance and actually paid royalties
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Heroes Die has always been a paperback in the US, isn't it ?
    In France, the only publication available is a hardcover sold by l'Atalante at high price (more than 20$) and has never been sold as a paperback.
    This high price could explain the earnings, but I'm only guessing...

To be honest, I have little esteem and confidence in many french editions and translations. Want an example why ? The paperback edition of Shatterpoint has a backcover featuring Han and Leia, a picture form Last Command. I think you know better than I that Han and Leia never show up to help Mace on Haruun Kal...

Anyway, original version is the best, but it's too bad for all the people who only read French...
    If your agent has any news concerning Blade in France, could you please keep me informed, so that I tell your french fans ?

Now about your books, I have a little question : where does Kollberg's power suddenly come from ? Why does the board say thay work for him ? Is he an incarnation of the Blind God ? It is how I saw it and I hope I got it correctly.
    I hope characteurs such as Deliann, Raithe or Orbek will be there in Black Knife. I like Caine but I have some affection for backup characters and I appreciate to see many interesting guys playing such a role in Blade.
    You said before you have an other Overworld novel in mind, will it be featuring Caine or new characters ?

Red face A question that will probably sound silly...

I don't really think about it.

It's fun. That's all I care about.

The only image I have -- that I'm aware of -- is that I'm a person who will give a straight answer to a straight question, the first time you ask. The single most common reaction I get is a sarcastic roll of the eyes and a "Don't sugar-coat it, Matt; tell us what you REALLY think."

Because that's exactly what I do. Every time.

If that image ever bites me in the bum, I'll take the scar and be proud of it.
    I know this question is going to make me sound as "young and naive" as I probably am, could potentially be viewed as insulting, and isn't necessarily a good question to make an opening appearance on, but…

For my question: Do you have any original writings that lack such, erm, colorful language as is owned by Heros Die?

Background (if you're interested in that sort of thing):

I've read—and loved—all three of your Star Wars books. Shatterpoint fascinates me with your structure (telling the reader things that the narrative character doesn't realize seems tough); Traitor is a lot of fun from the psychological exercise; RotS… [shivers] I had to put that down every so often just to chew on it.

Because I liked these so much, I decided to look at your original fiction, and checked Heroes Die out from my local library. I, erm, promptly returned it.

I'm a visual learner from words, specifically monochromatic typed, so I can't really read things with such colorful language unless I want to start automatically thinking & saying it. But I want to read more of your work… Therefore, I'm asking the question that I'm asking.

And do I have a knack for writing awkward sentences. Eh.

Thank you!

"Misti"

I apppreciate your interest, Misti, but unfortunately the answer is no. The only one of my other works to lack the, erm, colorful language, was The Real Flash Gordon, which -- due to a trademark dispute between Avon Books and King Features Syndicate -- was never and (apparently) will never be published.

Hari Michaelson was a street kid, and he talks the way people who grow up on the streets talk. If you pick up the Barra & Co. books --Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon -- you will find a smaller percentage of colorful language . . . but the protagonists are mercenaries, not courtiers.

You get the picture.

Thank you, sir. I appreciate your taking the time to answer me.

"Misti"

agitated and opinionated
    I apppreciate your interest, Misti, but unfortunately the answer is no. The only one of my other works to lack the, erm, colorful language, was The Real Flash Gordon, which -- due to a trademark dispute between Avon Books and King Features Syndicate -- was never and (apparently) will never be published.

Hari Michaelson was a street kid, and he talks the way people who grow up on the streets talk. If you pick up the Barra & Co. books --Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon -- you will find a smaller percentage of colorful language . . . but the protagonists are mercenaries, not courtiers.

You get the picture.
    FREE FLASH GORDON!!!!

Limpwicks.

Spoilers for 'Betrayal'

SPOILERS

I'm assuming here that you've read 'Betrayal.' So now that the Sith's out of the bag, I've got to ask: was Vergere a Sith? Was she laying the groundwork for Jacen's conversion in 'Traitor,' as was implied in 'Betrayal?'

Basically, did you writers have him tapped as Darth Jacen even then?

And, in terms of Jacen's developing character, do you have any thoughs or comments you'd care to make?

Take care

P.S. How's 'Cain Black Knife' coming?

I have no comment on Betrayal. Sorry.

My confidentiality clause is still in force.

But thanks for asking.

Caine Black Knife is going . . . well, crummy. But it'll get better soon, I'm sure.

Ah well, I had to try. Thanks for the quick response.

Mr. Stover,
    I know you may have been asked this question before, but im a big fan of your books of Caine and was wondering what other books you may recommend.
    I hope you have a better time with writing Black Knife.

Thanks

Uh, Moderator
    Have a look at the thread further down in this forum titled "Who I think you really ought to be reading by MWStover"

thanks i appreciate it

May the Force be with you Rheingold's Avatar
    Retroactively; A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....
    It seems like this forum isn't very active, but I was wondering, are you ever going to post on starwarsontrial.com again? There are a whole bunch of questions waiting to be answered in the Ask the Defense thread....

Thanks!

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Hello Matthew

It seems Blade of Tyshalle is out of print. Yet Heroes Die is not. Do you know why this is so? Seems very unfortunate doesn't it? Is there a new deal in the works to reprint Blade?

Secondly, do you have any idea when the third Caine will be released, if at all? Or do the Star Wars tie-ins have priority for you?

Considering the immenent "Cain Black Knife," I can't help but recall a statement made by Caine in "Blade." Something along the lines of "I wish I could meet the guy who keeps reaching down in my life and turning everything to (explitive)."

And I realized, that would be you.

So, considering everything you've put Caine through (and presumably will put him through in the next book) what would happen if you ever met your main character face-to-face?

Hello, Mr. Stover, I joined today so that I could ask a few questions of you. Let me begin with a few personal details.

I am a Senior in high school. For my Senior Project, I am writing a short novella set in a personally modified version of Star Wars. I'm utilizing no known characters. I should have well over threescore pages now, yet I have only six. "Writer's block" is beating me more thoroughly than Mace beat those nameless guards at the sanisteam showers on Haruun Kal.

Every time I sit down to write my "masterpiece", I change plot details. For some reason, no particular sequence of events satisfies me. Not only that, but a few changes have necessitated the slight alteration of two of the main characters.

1) How do you settle on one specific timeline?

2) How late do you make significant changes to the story in some way?

3) How do you set up the skeleton for the story?

4) Do you make an outline?

5) Do you write the whole thing in the order it appears in the book?

The odds that you'll reply before Monday are slimmer than a mortal's odds of defeating a god incarnate, considering how you've not reponded to this thread in well over a year. Yet ask, I must.

Well, thanks for your time. Much luck and success with all your endeavours!