Another title/author question

Hi,
    I am not sure whether this relates more to sf or fantasy, but I guess I'll post it in both. My husband was looking for a book he remembered reading as a child (in the 80s). He thought it may have been by Andre Norton, the main impressions he remembers are it being about someone with mind powers, mainly he thinks having a mental shield that let the protagonist go up against a mind-controlling bad guy. He thinks there was an Egyptian feel to the setting and maybe some time/space travel components.

The book was definitely written in or prior to the mid-1980s, and would have been available in Australia (he borrowed it from his public library in Canberra, Australia...)

If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
    Marika

Try The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. (1983)

Brendan Doyle is asked to give a lecture on Coleridge shortly before an eccentric millionaire plans to jump backward in time to a lecture given by the poet himself. Unfortunately, Doyle is kidnapped in London after the lecture and cannot return to 1983. With the aid of Jacky Snapp, he fights to thwart a sorcerer who wants to turn the tides of history, and, in the process, discovers more about the obscure and mysterious poet William Ashbless than he ever bargained for.

Does this sound like the book you're looking for?

Could be... That sounds closer than anything I've found so far. I'll see if I can locate it and give my husband a look.

Thanks!

You're welcome. Let me know if that's not it.

It might also be a series by Anne McCaffrey involving generations of people with mental powers in the far future. I can't remember what the series was called, but I think some of the individual titles were "Ravenna" and "Lyon's Pride" or something like that. Something to do with Pegasus too.

Anne McCaffrey wrote two series like that.

Her Talent Series
    To Ride Pegasus
    Pegasus in Flight
    Pegasus in Space

And her Tower & Hive series:
    The Rowan (aka A Meeting of Minds)
    Damia
    Damia's Children
    Lyon's Pride
    The Tower and the Hive

That was it, thanks, Ex. I used to have "To Ride Pegasus" -- it might be at my mom's still. And I read "The Rowan" (not Ravenna) and didn't like it that much. But they were telepaths dealing with space transport and dealing with a very strong new telepathic presence, if I remember correctly, which is why I thought of it.

There's also Joan D. Vinge's "Catspaw" and "Psion" books, which were very popular, though I don't know if they were available in Australia.

Catspaw had psychics and conspiracies but in the future.

There's a ton of books with Psychic characters.

There is an Andre Norton novel called "Wraiths Of Time" where a young woman is sent back in time to ancient Egypt where she is some sort of priestess. I read this book back in the 80's so don't remember too much about it.

Thanks for the leads...

Hello all,

Expendable, I got "The Anubis Gates" for my husband as a Christmas present... it was not the right one, though he does remember reading it, probably in Uni .

We will now try looking at the Anne McCaffrey, Joan D. Vinge and Andre Norton suggestions... he thinks that he may have combined some elements from other books, but is definitely looking at a protagonist with strong defensive mental powers and some sort of travel element (whether time, space or alternate dimension, he is unsure...)

Thanks for the help, we'll let you know if any of your suggestions bear fruit.

Marika