Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Character who has captured your heart and soul

I have been rereading Carey's Kushiel books, and I find myself once more falling into absolute adoring love of the Cassiline, Josceline Verreuil.
    When I read the scene where he engages the traitorous Casseline, Robert, at the end of Kushiel's Chosen, I once more felt deprived that I could not watch this battle somehow. Or, his battle in the snow, in the first book, in which he dispatches several Skaldi to protect Phedre.

I don't thinnk any other character has captivated my imagination.....captured my heart and soul......the way Josceline does. His devotion to Phedre through everything she must do and be stuns me.
    I wish I had time to write more about him, but have to get back to my students and their exams.

Would you share with us any characters that have captivated you, won your heart and soul, made you want to be with them, watch them in action, etc.?

Blog Entries
    I think I would have to go with Smeagol/Gollum. His life is so heartbreaking and tragic, you cannot help but feel pity for him. All the evil things he did in his lifetime were all attributed to that damn Ring. Sad.

The Stark family from A Song of Ice and Fire, Tyrion and even Jaime in the 3rd book. Maybe because I'm from a pretty northern place but something about the way the Starks lived their lives struck a chord with me. I found myself thinking that if I lived in that world I'd be proud to have people like that leading my part of the country.

I'd also have to say Drusas Achamian from the Prince of Nothing series.

Also Perrin Aybara from Wheel of Time. His mindset in the earlier books reminded me very much of me. Now that he's a married man and leader of men it's not really the same anymore, but I can still sympathize with him more than anyone else in WoT.

OH! And Alain from Crown of Stars. The ultimate nice guy forever finishing last.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Fitz from Farseer and Merlin from The Merlin trilogy.

I'm partial to some of the Stark children as well, particularly Robb and Bran as well as their father, but not quite to the same extent.

Blog Entries
    FitzChivalry is definitely my next choice, after the Casseline. I adored Fitz from the very beginning of his saga until the end.

Gollum
    Fitz
    Tyrion
    Jaime

All the Stark Children...It isn't their fault that their father and his best friend were disloyal thugs. Justice was done however. Nice life they paved for their children though.

All of the choices listed appeal to me. I'd add Sabriel from Garth Nix's books.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntiePam
    All of the choices listed appeal to me. I'd add Sabriel from Garth Nix's books.
    Absolutely. And I also agree with Smeagol.

Blog Entries
    Glelas, Jaime and Tyrion are not Starks. They are Lannisters. Eddard Stark was the loyal one.....Jaime Lannister is the King-slayer, and his family is trying to usurp power from the rightful heir, Stannis Baratheon.

Lan (WoT)!!! He's my hero, but since he got married....why do they do that?

Fitz from the Farseer Trilogy (Hobb) would be my definite number one. He is a sympathetic character who has faced great challenges while retaining a quiet dignity. Complex characters are wonderful!

Second (more sci-fi than fantasy) would be the Keats cybrid from Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos. Simmons does this so well and I was so haunted that, when in Italy, I visited the house where the real Keats died but referred to it by talking about the Keats cybrid!

Third would be Tyrion. What a wonderfully complex character who is both disgusting and enchanting. It will be interesting to see how Martin shapes our attitude towards him in the coming books.

Although I may be ridiculed for some of these, here are some of the characters who I feel that way about.

Elric (Michael Moorcock)
    Walker Boh (Terry Brooks)
    Anakin Skywalker
    Frodo Baggins
    Harry Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanuumea
    Glelas, Jaime and Tyrion are not Starks. They are Lannisters. Eddard Stark was the loyal one.....Jaime Lannister is the King-slayer, and his family is trying to usurp power from the rightful heir, Stannis Baratheon.
    I know. If I wasn't clear I apologize. I meant the Stark Children as part of the list.
    Gollum
    Fitz
    Tyrion
    Jaime
    The Stark Children

I just gave my two cents on the Stark children because as the story progresses I feel more sympathetic to the Targaryens. It was Robert who is the usurper. And I feel bad for the predicament Ned left his children in as well.

Ged - Earthsea
    Croaker - The Black Company books
    Aillas - Lyonesse trilogy
    Gillian - The Uplift Trilogy
    Haplo - The Deathgate Cycle

Prefers to be anomalous intensityxx's Avatar
    I'm having a hard time thinking of one. Usually if a character captures my heart and soul, I go straight to the heart and mind behind the character and get a crush on the author.