Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well I don't know about this heart and soul or love thingy but one of the better characters i've encountered would be Alain from Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott.

Can't believe so many have said fitz. Great character but bloody annoying at times with him always feeling sorry for himself.

I loved a lot of characters when I was younger, but for some reason I don't encounter any more characers whom I really like. But here goes:

John Carter and Dejah Thoris (Burrough's Mars series)
    Robin Hood and Will Scarlet
    Lancelot, Gawain, Agrivane, Morgan Le Fay (from a childrens Tales of the Knights of the Round Table)
    Marius (Anne Rice)
    Morrolan, Vlad Taltos, Loiosh, Sethra Lavode (Steven Brust)
    Aral, Cordelia, Elane, Bel Thorn (LMB)

LotR books: Aragorn, Faramir, Eowyn, Legolas (and the elves as a whole)
    LotR movies: Aragorn, Legolas, Eomer

Thomas Covenant from Donaldon books

Croaker from Black Company books

Daenerys Targaryen from ASOIAF

Felisin from Malazan books

Dorcas from The Book of the New Sun
    Sol Weintraub from Hyperion

Alain from Crown of Stars. Man, the Gods must really hate him. Can't wait to read the end of his story.

Arithon from The Wars of Light and Shadow. After everything he has been through, his greatest struggle is still with himself. Very moving.

Tanis Half-Elven from Dragonlance has been the character I have connected with the most. I was drawn to his struggle to help everyone, but sometimes making a mistake. Even after all these years, for me, he is what I compare other hero's too.

Lord Tolandruth (Tol) in The Ergoth Trilogy and Cael in The Thieves' Guild.

While I am not quite done, I have been drawn to Theo Vilmos in The War of the Flowers. Finally, Simon in the Osten Ard books is almost up there with Tanis for me.

Boromir

Boromir (LOTR) really pulled at my heartstrings...

Fitz Chivalry- Farseer and Fool Trilogy

Tyrion Lannister- A Song of Ice and Fire

Gollum/Smeagol- Lord o' the Rings

Ender Wiggin- Ender's Game

Sam Vimes- Discworld

Druss- The Drenai series

Raistlin Majere- Dragonlance

Thomas Covenant- The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

I wouldn't say these characters have captured my soul, but I do think of them as soul mates.

Slaine MacRoth.
    Conan.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    I'm with Kahn, I am intrigued and enjoy reading about many of the characters I have discovered over the years but I guess the one who really captured my imagination is:

WAYLANDER

Also Caine from Heroes Die is a pretty likeable guy.

I like characters who are pretty far from perfect, but show amazing, heroic qualities when cornered... I also like it when they are as hard as nails.

They are just so testosterone laden!Waylander and Caine are good characters, great even, but don't you think that they are a bit of a caricature of 'hard men' for want of a better term? They just don't seem well rounded to me...

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Leiali, if you are in love with me, just come out and say it!!! Stop following me around the forums insulting me

What's wrong with being a caricature of a hard man? I disagree mind you. Both characters showed very well, the downside of living a life of violence, the loneliness, the sadness, the self-loathing, the inability to get close to someone and fall in love. Maybe you should take that very question to Stover in his thread, or do you mind if I do? I would love to hear his opinion on that.

Of course they're not "well rounded" Leiali.
    They're lumps of stone with chips knocked out of them from all the wear and tear of their lives.

I don't know you, but I'd take a guess you're an Orli fan.

my favs in no particular order.

1: Raistlen Majere Dragonlance
    2: Elric
    3: Drizzt Forgotten Realms
    4: Fitz Farseer
    4: Jon Snow Game of Thrones
    5: Pug Magician
    6: Merlin Mary stewart Trilogy or Jack Whytes books
    7: Garion Belgariad

that all I can think of for now.

Kahn - Dunno what Orli is?!
    Juzzza - You wish. And no, please don't take this to Stover. I really enjoyed Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle, but to be quite frank, Caine is scary and so is Stover. No personal insult intended, I think the world occassionally needs a kick up the backside, but I don't want that to be narrowed down to little old me.....

And to get back to the subject at hand, I think what I mean by insulting you there, is that in order to have my heart and soul captured by a character, there has to be a certain amount of substance to them, that isn't just defined by their fighting ability.The characters in question I have also found to be a bit (especially Caine) self absorbed. That makes them more realistic I guess, as those who achieve phsyically in life tend to need to get into ' the zone' like athletes for example, and noone else can get in there with them can they? but that doesn't half leave an interested party out in the cold. I'm rambling a bit. but I did put Strider in as one of my fav's and he is similar, but the bit that makes him more of a hero for me is the struggle to be a well rounded king, and also capable of sustaining a relationship during armageddon. The perfect man really
    Last edited by Leiali; December 21st, 2004 at 05:15 AM.