Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Yes we should... altho it'll have to be good to top my profound badness at ping pong.

I'm amazed at how many cons are on in WA alone this year that Radthorne can drive to.

You know in Australia, the same core group of people go to nearly every con in every state (and only five of the states are having them in 2005, remember we only have one major city per state and one con) but if you compare the size of Australia to the size of the USA... that is pretty amazing (mind you if you compare the price of airfares in Aus to those in USA, that is pretty amazing too, mind you they probably don't have to peddle so hard in the US).

Anyway, a con in Australia is about meeting familiar faces. I'm not sure I'm ready for an American con.

Please, let's go back to playing ping pong in our knickers. I think that's a far more interesting topic... When did you say we got out of that bar? (I can see that tanking Rocket up a bit will lead to a highly entertaining evening...)

And yes, Rocket is very wicked. She professes to being an innocent sheep, but lurking beneath that wooly exterior lay the heart of a dragon, seeking to fly free and escape the boundaries of suburbia. And she does so, by writing excellent prose that is both humorous and dark in turns. It is by that which we can see the true sheep.

There do seem to be cons around every corner up here. As Maus said, I even have my own, RadCon. I don't even know what the Rad in that is supposed to mean. At the regional ones that I'm driving to, they are fairly insular, in that I see many of the same people at all of them. They range in size from about 300 up to 2500 attendees. I believe CascadiaCon, the North American replacement for WorldCon while it's in Scotland, is anticpating 3000 people.

I'm not entirely sure either how this many cons can be supported, but they seem to keep on going. Being such a small fry, I try to go to anything where someone invites me to be on panels. Building "buzz" is a slow process, but if you keep working at it methodically, eventually something may come out of it. I have one delightful older woman who comes to almost every con and sits in my panels knitting caps and things for her grandchildren. She's read The Road to Kotaishi and asks me at every con when the next book is coming out, because she really, really wants to read it. Another couple of months and she should be able to get her hands on Sabakushi!

Rad means "radical", I guess? That's a pretty good abbreviation for an sff writer. Doesn't work with my name, I just get "Crog", which is way uncool.

I love the story of the old woman knitting at your panels. There are irresistible echoes of the old women knitting around the guillotine in Revolutionary France, but so long as it's not your head.

Cons do sound like potentially overwhelming events, but obviously I must check them out if I want to be a fully rounded person (preferably with the True Sheep at my elbow to keep me safe). (True about her work, too, Rocket, ewe modest thing).

Oh god, it's too early in the morning. I'd better get some coffee.

I'm not sure where RadCon's Rad comes from, but mine has a slightly more offbeat story to it. When my son was born, I suggested to my then-wife that we both change our names, combining mine (which used to be Radke) and hers (which was Hawthorne). Thus we, and our son, became Radthornes. (Alas, the relationship proved less enduring than the name idea). When Lise (my present wife) and I married, she elected to adopt the Radthorne name as well. Thus there are only four of us Radthornes in the world. (If you plug my name into Google, 95% of what you get back is for me, with most of the rest related to either Lise, my son, or his mother. There's also a gamer who combined parts of his first and last name to get Radthorne as an online handle, and some dog kennel in England from the 80's that had that name, but that's it.) "Radthorne" also sounded better than "Hawke" which would have been the combination of the other two halves. And as much as I thought about it, I resisted the temptation to name my son Hawke Radthorne. That would have been pretty cool, though, huh?

And I think "Crog" is a lovely name. Ok, maybe not lovely. But it does have a certain edginess to it... maybe write a little sci-fi with it?

Guillotine?!? And I thought she was such a sweet little old lady... I must be careful not to "off" any of her favorite characters, or I might be in big trouble...

The True Sheep... I really like that! And I shan't let her forget it, either! I know what berg she is in; are you in the same one? Are you, like, neighbors and have just been holding out on us? Or has the Official Author Forum served to lay the foundation for a new Antipodean friendship?

Crog sounds like someone with a club who likes to drag her boyfriends round by their hair... I should stop there.

Berg, Rad? As in Iceberg? I think the word is burb. As in 'burbling saditude" (Vandermeer, get out of my head!). And I know we're not neighbours because Alison is next to the sea, and I'm smack dab in the centre of ALL the burbs.

It's really cool about you having one dedicated fan, Radthorne. I think you need a fanclub. We could chase you at cons, tear your hair out and sell it on ebay for hundreds... that would get you noticed.

Well, it's not like you're in Alice Springs, or some such place...

One dedicated fan... thanks heaps! Well, at least I like the bit about people chasing me at cons (at least, if they're chasing me because they like me, not because of that guillotine businss )

Crog sounds like someone with a club who likes to drag her boyfriends round by their hair...
    I wish. I'm too short. But in fantasy novels, well, I can become anything I like.

No Rad, I haven't met the True Sheep yet, but I'm looking forward to bumping into her one day. If I'm guessing right, she must live around 15 minutes drive from me. Not that I drive.

The genesis of your name is pretty interesting, Rad, it beats those ugly hyphenations. (I just kept my surname; in fact, between me, my husband and my children we have officially four different surnames, which causes various confusions sometimes.) And part of me regrets that you spared your son the name Hawke Radthorne, though I bet he doesn't. I'm pretty keen on the rad fanclub. Not so keen on the chasing, though, I disapprove of running.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Sheep
    And I know we're not neighbours because Alison is next to the sea, and I'm smack dab in the centre of ALL the burbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by alison
    If I'm guessing right, she must live around 15 minutes drive from me.
    Hmm, methinks there is a dichotomy here somewhere... Not neighbors, but only 15 minutes apart... Those wide open spaces in Australia aren't that wide, are they?

I'm pretty keen on the rad fanclub.
    Cool! You're the first honorary member.

And - you're short? S'funny, from your website picture I would have thought you to be tall. And you'd think a sheep would be short, but she's not... (Assuming you can twist her arm for a picture that isn't all covered in wool). She is, in fact, also a killer at that odd Australian netball game... (Speaking of dangerous running...)

I'm only tall when I'm here. I went to American once. I was short...
    and really thin...

Quote Originally Posted by Radthorne
    Just as a quick note (I'm updating this one at work so will have to wait until this evening to put in a lot more stuff), I have a radio interview playing this week on the web. You can listen to it as a streaming audio file at DragonPage.com, which is a weekly talk show of SF and fantasy topics.
    Okay, so I'm a week late tuning in... but it's not archived yet. I can find the cover etc. but no link.

Sorry... such a slow poke, low on rocket fuel.

nd - you're short? S'funny, from your website picture I would have thought you to be tall. And you'd think a sheep would be short, but she's not... (Assuming you can twist her arm for a picture that isn't all covered in wool). She is, in fact, also a killer at that odd Australian netball game... (Speaking of dangerous running...)
    Nope. Five foot three. All my children, apart from the nine year old, are taller, and pat me on the head. It delights them, if not me.

Netball - bad childhood memories! Now, if I am bad at pingpong, I am a complete klutz at that. I was always put in the position where I would do least harm. The only sport I was ever any good at was fencing (no, not that kind, Rocket Sheep, the kind with bendy rapiers). That was cool! En garde!

(Heading into my second last chapter today! Woohoo!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Sheep
    Okay, so I'm a week late tuning in... but it's not archived yet. I can find the cover etc. but no link.

Sorry... such a slow poke, low on rocket fuel.
    Hmm, not only don't they have me yet under their previous guests list, but the entire prior week's show isn't archived yet. Seems like they're the slow pokes! Well, I'll give 'em another week or so and see if they can get it posted up. I do intend to post my bit of the show on my website, as soon as I can get around to extracting it.

And Alison and I will just have to move ahead with plans to get you out to that bar, so that we can re-juice your rocket fuel...

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    The only sport I was ever any good at was fencing (no, not that kind, Rocket Sheep, the kind with bendy rapiers). That was cool! En garde!

(Heading into my second last chapter today! Woohoo!)
    I always wanted to learn fencing. Seemed like a good complement to badminton, which is the only sport that I can play at all.

Congrats on approaching THE END! When you reach it, then Rocket and I have to take YOU to the bar!

Congrats on approaching THE END! When you reach it, then Rocket and I have to take YOU to the bar!
    I feel like I will seriously deserve a drink. This has been a tough one. (And not just for my poor hero!)

Sometimes I think getting to the end of a first draft of a book is the best part. I always feel quite delirious. Is it the same for anyone else? Or do you feel kind of sad?

Sometimes I think getting to the end of a first draft of a book is the best part. I always feel quite delirious. Is it the same for anyone else? Or do you feel kind of sad?
    I think I feel the same. While my outlines are fairly thorough (as far as the big picture of the story), the first draft has all the details worked out, all the "life" of the book. I know that all the other drafts to follow will just be improvements to that first one, so it does feel like a major accomplishment.

I was only sad when I delivered the sequel to the first book to the publisher, for I knew I would not be revisiting those characters again - "they'd written their last." And that was kind of sad in a way. After creating them, and giving them life, I knew they would no longer have something "new" to say; it was now only what I had put down on the page.

Nalo H told me she hates writing but she loves having written. I'm pretty much the same. I love being finished.