Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I love writing when it's going well. When it's not, there's probably nothing more frustrating. I mean, some days you just go, and others you can't write a word, and I never really know why the difference!

Ok, I've made an extract of the radio interview and put it up on my website. It's a 4MB MP3 file. The link is at the bottom of my review page, or you if you prefer to go in through the front door, from my home page of www.KevinRadthorne.com, look for the Review button toward the middle of the right hand side (I moved that button from the star burst that used to be higher up, and made it a regular button).

Let me know if I sound like a wonky American. (Sorry 'bout the funny accent; can't be helped...)
    Last edited by Radthorne; March 29th, 2005 at 09:17 PM.

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    You sound vewy vewy quiet... admittedly there's a street sweeper going to town right outside my window but still... something is wrong... probably my pooter.

Oh yes... don't fiddle with the fn key (I've never had an fn key before). Hey, you're not wonky at all!

Now I can see why you go on panels and things, never said um... or snorted once!

Great interview!
    Last edited by Rocket Sheep; January 26th, 2005 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks! Guess I'm just a soft-spoken kinda fella...

The "panel persona" is generally a whole different Kevin from the real one (not too different from the "radio interview" Kevin who was created out of whole cloth for that last little exercise). The artificial personas attempt to sound convincing, erudite, and humble, while not disclosing that their owner may not have a clue, that his mind internally resembles a street sweeper run amok on a quiet suburban Australian street, and that he must be very full of himself to think that anyone wants to listen to what he has to say.

The real Kevin sits here typing out messages to friends and readers in far away places, and (like Alison) is relieved that those who look askance at social ineptitude can simply click their way elsewhere to another thread!

Certainly sounded confident and full of knowledge to me.

I liked how the radio guys sounded like a couple of surfer dudes. RAADthorne. You know in NZ you'd get called Ridthorne.

They did seem to be kinda making it up on the fly as they went...

Ridthorne, eh? As in, "Puh-leaze, will someone rid us of that thorn?" I somehow imagined it in an English accent as "Rahd-thorne".

Actually, it would probably be more like Rudthorne. We tend to do away with vowels altogether... to busy chasing the hobbits out of the sheep paddocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Radthorne

Let me know if I sound like a wonky American. (Sorry 'bout the funny accent; can't be helped...)
    Sounded good to me I can't say anything about the accent because I don't get to hear different accents so often.

Very good

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDagger
    Sounded good to me I can't say anything about the accent because I don't get to hear different accents so often.

Very good
    Thanks, Silver!

I'd certainly like to hear English spoken with a Finnish accent. You and your fellow Finns on SFFWorld will just have to get together and make a recording of yourselves and post it somewhere!

I'd certainly like to hear English spoken with a Finnish accent. You and your fellow Finns on SFFWorld will just have to get together and make a recording of yourselves and post it somewhere!
    all of them are finnish-swedes (including me) meaning they would not speak english with a ugly finnish accent but with a more natural Swinnish accent..

note: Finnish-swedes are people in finland whose ancestors came from sweden to finland (don't know when )
    we usually speak both finnish and swedish fluently.

Cool interview, Raaaad! You sounded very self-possessed and knowledgeable. The persona thing is interesting, no? My fear is that one day it will take over, like an alien parasite, and the sweetly amok street sweeper self will be lost forever...

The "panel persona" is generally a whole different Kevin from the real one (not too different from the "radio interview" Kevin who was created out of whole cloth for that last little exercise). The artificial personas attempt to sound convincing, erudite, and humble, while not disclosing that their owner may not have a clue, that his mind internally resembles a street sweeper run amok on a quiet suburban Australian street, and that he must be very full of himself to think that anyone wants to listen to what he has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordMaster
    all of them are finnish-swedes (including me) meaning they would not speak english with a ugly finnish accent but with a more natural Swinnish accent..

note: Finnish-swedes are people in finland whose ancestors came from sweden to finland (don't know when )
    we usually speak both finnish and swedish fluently.
    A Finnish-Swedish sub-cult!

So, do you and the other Finn-Swedes on SFFWorld all know each other? As in, from the same-town sort of thing? (Must be a hotbed of scfi-fi/fantasy activity lurking over there...)

Quote Originally Posted by alison
    Cool interview, Raaaad! You sounded very self-possessed and knowledgeable. The persona thing is interesting, no? My fear is that one day it will take over, like an alien parasite, and the sweetly amok street sweeper self will be lost forever...
    Why, thank you.

No fears about the fabricated personas taking over; I only trot them out for public appearances. In private the street sweeper runs rampant, gunning the spinning brushes into a frenzy just about the time poor Sheepie tries to lay down to sleep, then cruising effortlessly off into the night, nothing but a neat and tidy street in his wake.

A Finnish-Swedish sub-cult!

So, do you and the other Finn-Swedes on SFFWorld all know each other? As in, from the same-town sort of thing? (Must be a hotbed of scfi-fi/fantasy activity lurking over there...)
    Yes, we Finn-Swedes at sffworld know each other. We are best friends or then we are related

About the record...no way

Sffworld even has enclaves?

I'm just heading over to the Finnish-Swedish quarter now to get a...
    a... vodka?