Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Hi Kevin and all - Back from the Black Swamp (truthfully, I've been trying to get a job in between feeling like a washed out dishrag - I think The Novel caught up with me).

Gosh, those cons do sound bizarre. I will definitely get to one. I haven't sung nursery rhymes for a long time and it would probably do me good.

Yes, I did indeed rip the code from a friend's website, in the spirit of net openness. Most browsers these days handle frames, and if you stick in a little default page for those that don't, it probably helps. The ones that drove me mad in the early days of the net were the frames that nested one inside the other. Some people went completely ape. Those wallpapers! Poetry sites were especially bad.

Yes, the cons can most definitely be bizarre. Particularly when you're trying to talk about serious writing and there's a Klingon sitting in the front row glaring at you menacingly... Perhaps the biggest fear is going down the narrow hotel hallways with a bunch of Goths coming the other way, all wearing clothing with sharp, spikey bits. I'm always afraid I'm going to emerge skewered on somebody's costume. But fortunately, most of those coming for the writing panels look normal (relatively speaking).

That's a good thought on having an alternate non-frame page. I'll ponder that for the first "revision." (It took me a couple of years to get around to making this update, so....)

And welcome back from the Swamp!

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    Don't recall which thread I read this in, but you'll be delighted to know that I ordered my copy of part 1 and part 2 from Amazon and they still say 'Ships in 24 hours'. They should be arriving tomorrow as they arrived in SD this morning. Who knows, I may even have them tonight.

I've still got a pair of books to finish reading first, but yours is next in my to pile.

Quote Originally Posted by maus99
    Don't recall which thread I read this in, but you'll be delighted to know that I ordered my copy of part 1 and part 2 from Amazon and they still say 'Ships in 24 hours'. They should be arriving tomorrow as they arrived in SD this morning. Who knows, I may even have them tonight.

I've still got a pair of books to finish reading first, but yours is next in my to pile.
    Whoo hoo! Thanks, Maus, not only for the purchase but for the Amazon shipping info. Very good to know! I'm glad they're keeping things straight in the inventory department.

I hope you enjoy the books - I'll be looking for your feedback when you're done!

On the News & Information front...

Last night I delivered the final cover art modifications for The Sands of Sabakushi to the publisher, and also finished proofing the final PDF "galleys" of the interiors. All is on schedule for the books to be available by Norwescon on March 24th.

Speaking of Norwescon, I also just got my schedule for the con. I have two panels, two critque sessions, a reading, and an autograph session. The panels I have been assigned to are "Self Editing Secrets" on Thursday 3/24 at 9:00 PM (hint: my secret is to make sure you have a good editor to back you up!); and "Happily Ever After?", having to do with how you create endings, on Saturday 3/26 at 9:00 PM (these guys have a thing for late panels...) The autograph session is at 12:00 PM on Saturday, and the reading at 1:30 PM. So if any of you are in the Seattle area that weekend and are just wondering what the heck you're going to do with yourself, do come to to con and see me. Here's a link to the con's home page.

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    So I just noticed, as I was thumbing through book 1, that there was a bookmark inside. It's a bookmark/advertisement for Sands. I've got a question. The bookmark says Sands will be available in 2003. Is that a typo? Or is this an older bookmark?

Just curious.

Read the first chapter (I'll read the rest after Gary's trilogy). You've got me hooked already. And despite what the radio interviews said, the names aren't difficult at all to get used to. Well done, Kevin.

When I finish each book, I'll post a review here and on Amazon for you.

Quote Originally Posted by maus99
    So I just noticed, as I was thumbing through book 1, that there was a bookmark inside. It's a bookmark/advertisement for Sands. I've got a question. The bookmark says Sands will be available in 2003. Is that a typo? Or is this an older bookmark?

Just curious.

Read the first chapter (I'll read the rest after Gary's trilogy). You've got me hooked already. And despite what the radio interviews said, the names aren't difficult at all to get used to. Well done, Kevin.

When I finish each book, I'll post a review here and on Amazon for you.
    You're the man!

Many thanks - I look forward to your comments.

That is indeed one of the older bookmarks. Initially Windstorm was producing the books in-house, and as a way to make effective use of the cover stock they also made up bookmarks, trimmed them off the cover sheet, and inserted them into the books. At the time, we wern't sure when Sabakushi was going to come out. 2003 turned out to be a bit premature!

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    So is "put up with nagging sheep" one of your self-editing secrets?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Sheep
    So is "put up with nagging sheep" one of your self-editing secrets?
    Not exactly; that one runs more toward, "Listen politely to sheep, nod knowingly, and say 'Yes, dear,' before moving on."

Actually, in point of fact, sheep have been known to provide very cogent advice on editing topics. Stubborn authors may not always take it to heart, or might prefer divergent points of view (pun intended), but that does not negate the value of said advice. It all gets filed into the "study for applicability for the next book" pile (which is happening right now, as a matter of fact).

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    "Yes dear"?

Mruffle, miffle, piffle, riffle...

I'll take that as an editing suggestion Something like this:

*** Edit notation from Sheepie: for "Yes dear", substitute "Brilliant suggestion! I shall incorporate that immediately!" This better conveys what you, as the author, are trying to say. Right? Right??? ***

(It's so fun to tease sheep. They come up with such innovative ways to depict grumbling).
    Last edited by Radthorne; March 11th, 2005 at 09:24 AM.

Hmm, I was going to order Kev's stuff straight from Windstorm or go to Amazon, but given what Gary's been saying, and the news that the chains are stocking some, I think I will go to the Chapters store and try to order it there and ask about GemQuest too. That ought to help, right? If we all besiege the chains for all the SFFWorld authors, we could start....well, something maybe.

I never thought I'd say this, but man, do I have way too many books to read right now. What a happy problem!

Quote Originally Posted by KatG
    Hmm, I was going to order Kev's stuff straight from Windstorm or go to Amazon, but given what Gary's been saying, and the news that the chains are stocking some, I think I will go to the Chapters store and try to order it there and ask about GemQuest too. That ought to help, right? If we all besiege the chains for all the SFFWorld authors, we could start....well, something maybe.
    Absolutely!

I checked at a Borders over the weekend, and one can now order the books at the in-store kiosk. I don't know if Barnes & Noble has managed to get the Windstorm titles physically into the stores yet, but my understanding is that it's working through the process, via B & N's Small Press department. The books are up on Barnesandnoble.com (albeit still missing cover art and descriptions, but at least they're there...)

I'm sure Gary will join me in thanking you profusely, not only for your support but for nudging your local store to pick up the SFFWorld folks.

We have so many books around the house that my wife keeps threatening to open up a used bookstore. She says we have plenty of inventory (as I hover protectively in front of the bookcases...)

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Yes, KatG, I do thank you as well. It's a tough road for us poor, humble authors. We truly need all the help we can get. These big, monolithic chain stores gobble us up like fodder and then out we come, either on to the shelves or into the can.

I just spoke to our publisher, Kev, and Ingram is all straightened out. They now have stock on my titles and Barnes and Noble can order as they would from any other publisher. I assume that's the case with your books as well.

Excellent!

And - nice avatar there, Gary