Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fingers Crossed for the Hugo Award...

We find out on Sunday if A Feast for Crows has won the Hugo Award for Best Novel. George RR Martin has won several Hugos before for short stories and novellas over his 35 year career, but never the biggie. A Storm of Swords was also nominated but lost out to an obscure novel called Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. The competition is also tough this year (I believe Charles Stross' Accelerando is the favourite, by a whisker)

The award will be announced at Worldcon, which is taking place right now in Anaheim, California. Over 100 members of the Brotherhood Without Banners are partying there at this very moment (give or take the time difference) and giving George maximum support. So, good luck to George!

(and it seems that most people are assuming that if AFFC wins, it will be a vote for the whole series, not necessarily just AFFC by itself )

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I enjoy the Harry Potter books, but I can't believe that The Goblet of Fire beat out A Storm of Swords. Ridiculous...

The Hugo Award sort of loses all credibility after that choice.

Let's hope that A Feast for Crows wins, even though it might be the weakest of the series, and as such, a pretty stupid time to give him a Hugo. But I still think he deserves one, regardless.

Let's hope that A Feast for Crows wins, even though it might be the weakest of the series, and as such, a pretty stupid time to give him a Hugo. But I still think he deserves one, regardless.
    I remember a big discusion thread about the WFA award, and whether it was appropriate for Storm of Swords to win, as it does not standalone in plot at all. The argument GRRM fans gave was that the book can be judged by itself, and was good enough to deserve the award whether or not there was an ending to the story, or coherent plot without reading the earlier books.

But now it seems that GRRM fans think that the books shouldn't be judged by themselves, but that the quality of the series as a whole should be taken into consideration.

The fanboy mentality i just don't understand.
    Last edited by Yobmod; August 25th, 2006 at 04:01 AM.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For those who are not aware, the full list of nominees are:

* Learning the World by Ken MacLeod (Orbit; Tor)
    * A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin (Voyager; Bantam Spectra)
    * Old Man's War by John Scalzi (Tor)
    * Accelerando by Charles Stross (Ace; Orbit)
    * Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (Tor)

And as much as I liked/loved Feast, I'm not totally convinced this is the year for him, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong!

Hobbit
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Yobmod
    I remember a big discusion thread about the WFA award, and whether it was appropriate for Storm of Swords to win, as it does not standalone in plot at all. The argument GRRM fans gave was that the book can be judged by itself, and was good enough to deserve the award whether or not there was an ending to the story, or coherent plot without reading the earlier books.

But now it seems that GRRM fans think that the books shouldn't be judged by themselves, but that the quality of the series as a whole should be taken into consideration.

The fanboy mentality i just don't understand.
    A book is a book, whether it's part of a series or not. A book that is part of a series therefore requires the reader to have read the prior books. Many voters might not be prepared to do this, which naturally means that serial instalments are already at a disadvantage compared to stand-alone books. My personal choice would be that the book wins the award since it's the 'Best Novel' award. In this case than AFFC should not win since reportedly it isn't as good as the other books on the list (of the other books I've only flipped through Accelerando and wasn't taken with it, but Spin is also supposed to be very good). If the Hugos resurrect the 'Best Series' award (only ever awarded once, to the Foundation books) then ASoIaF can then be considered for that award in its totality.

The problem comes from the attitude of the voters. It may be felt that this is the only time GRRM has a really good chance to win and they vote for him on the basis of not just AFFC, but ASoIaF and indeed his entire 35-year career to date. It's not ideal and not 'right' by the rules of the award, but it happens in other mediums all the time (Spielberg's much-delayed Oscar for his whole career, although arguably Schindler's List also deserved it; the kudos heaped on Return of the King was also a reward for the whole trilogy, not just the one movie).

As for Rowling, well I think she killed any chance of being nominated again by her dismissive attitude to winning the award. Not having heard of it before, fair enough (Rowling isn't an SF&F fan), but not bothering to have it collected and only getting around to saying "Thank you," three years later is just rude.

And....George didn't win Robert Charles Wilson won for Spin instead, with Accelerando coming second. A Feast for Crows actually came last. On the plus side, the BwB party was by far the largest and most spectacular at Worldcon.

Best moment of the weekend from the sound of it: Kevin J. Anderson coming out of his reading for Hunters of Dune (total attendance: 8 people) and over 80 members of the BwB filing past for a reading from A Dance with Dragons

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you've had a good time, Werthead. Thanks for the update; though we've mentioned the results HERE we didn't yet know the running order. I rather expected Spin myself.

Did the BwB have the cake with an ice wall this year?

Hobbit
    Mark

As for Rowling, well I think she killed any chance of being nominated again by her dismissive attitude to winning the award. Not having heard of it before, fair enough (Rowling isn't an SF&F fan), but not bothering to have it collected and only getting around to saying "Thank you," three years later is just rude.
    What? And that's the time she beat A Storm of Swords (one of the best fantasy books I've ever read)? Infuriating!
    Best moment of the weekend from the sound of it: Kevin J. Anderson coming out of his reading for Hunters of Dune (total attendance: 8 people) and over 80 members of the BwB filing past for a reading from A Dance with Dragons.
    LOL! Nice...
    Last edited by Evil Agent; August 28th, 2006 at 10:53 PM.

I wasn't actually there, unfortunately, as I live about 6,000 miles away and didn't have enough money to go However, there was a sympathetic BwB posse get-together in London where we sent to see Snakes on a Plane and pretended we wouldn't rather be in LA

Hopefully I'll get to the 2008 Worldcon. But many BwB members have been posting all weekend about what's been happening at this year's event.

There was also a 'live' chess match with fans representing red (Dorne) and green (Highgarden) sides. George RR Martin played Dorne and his friend Daniel Abraham (author of the recent A Shadow in Summer) played Highgarden. Dorne won. Photos here.

Cheryl Morgan, herself a former Hugo Award winner, did say this as well:

"George Martinís fans run great parties and have the best wine at the convention."
    Triple A!

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    I am so sorry for George that AFFC didn't win. I really loved the book and thougt it was a great "in-between" book. Well if George is right and we have ADWD this next year we can keep our fingers crossed again. We all know it will be an awesome book.

Uh, Moderator
    Out of the list of nominations I'd only read A Feast for Crows and Spin. And while George may be a popular author of a popular series, A Feast for Crows was nowhere near the novel that Spin was. Can anyone tell me they really enjoyed AFFC as much as the previous novels? That it really worked as a stand alone novel?
    I'd hate to see Martin take the Hugo for what I believe is by far his weakest offering in the series so far. How about we all just wait for Dance and hope it's actually deserving of an award?

I plan on reading Accelerando soon, which was the favourite leading into the awards, to see if it displaces Spin.

Prefers to be anomalous intensityxx's Avatar
    Saturday was my first-ever Hugo ceremony. I was unprepared for the powerful emotional bonds in evidence, and for the intense pride I felt at being a part of that community as a lifelong appreciator of sf. It was worth the trip just for that. (Yay Spin!!!)

I'm sorry, but this JK Rowling story has truly destroyed the credibility of the Hugo award for me. It's so ridiculous! Why on earth did Goblet of Fire win an award!?!? Simply because it's a bit darker than the previous volumes? It's just a good story, like the other books, but there's nothing amazing about it. It's not very well written, either.

A Storm of Swords, on the other hand, was simply mindblowing! Truly a one of a kind achievement, and I don't know if Martin will ever replicate it (unless, perhaps, in his final volume?). I think that was the time to give him a Hugo, and it was a horrible, horrible mistake on the part of the judges, to give it to Rowling. Her attitude proves that, and the judges deserved that slap in the face, for making such a terrible judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent
    ..and the judges deserved that slap in the face, for making such a terrible judgment.
    There are no "judges" for the Hugo. It's purely a fan award. Any member of the WSFS (who attends the convention?) can cast a vote. So the Hugo is in the hands of the people...so not surprising that popular things will more often win than less popular things. And HP certainly has a bigger following than GRRM.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Somehow I thought the Hugo was more than a fan-based popularity award.