Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
    Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    I have no problem with your inspiration, sir; understanding what you were after doesn't change my reaction though. I'd still zoom in de-emphasizing but not removing other elements of the picture.

As a dabbler in art, and a student of the craft throughout my younger years, I'd say that HE has got the composition issue backwards. The tree trunks, the sunbeams and the vertical elements of the wagon all lead the eye downward to the old man and the hart.

Now that I've pissed you off, , I'd love to read The Dance. I've got some free time now that I'm only waiting for feedback on Rose|Thorn.

Put me down too, I guess. I'm getting more and more curious. And Brian, I could look at the first chapter or so of yours. I'm still working my way through Dawnstorm's and things are crazy, but I feel guilty, and I'm curious with all your research knowledge about what you've done. So if you want, I'll PM you my email.

On the picture, I think HE, Brian and Kevin all have good points. What if you cropped it a little, just to see what that does? But I do like the magnificence of the setting in the current one, that they are there in this great sea of green. I was actually drawn to the figure of the deer first, then the background, then the man and wagon.

Me having things backward? Is that possible? Could the universe survive such a singular event? Has it survived a lifetime of such events already?
    Leading down to is not the same as emphasis is it? When I look at the art, I am left pondering the sunlight in the forest and wondering what that wagon is doing there. But, being backward can be an interesting approach to life, don't you think?

I have BrianC's e-mail address; your greatness needs to PM me hers.

Okay, now that you've read the story, am I still backwards?
    Last edited by Hereford Eye; August 11th, 2006 at 11:25 AM.

While the analysis of The Dance continues...

Just messin' around, trying some more things on unrelated topics. I call this one "Brother and Sister."

And just because I can't leave well enough alone... something completely different...

Alright, enough fooling around. Here's some serious pirate work...

Oh what, you just want to see HE's head explode or something? This should be interesting. The kids scare me. They have doll faces. I'm not going to even touch the other ones.

Haven't read "The Dance" yet, but will soon.

The Man and Deer: I like it, with the light, and forest and wagon, although that deer needs more work. Guess I side with KatG on it.

Brother and Sister: Looks like they are in a school play.

The Hover Train is cool, too, except the train doorway she is sitting in should be darker.

The Pirates: The barmaid sure likes looking at the one-eyed pirate waving at another barmaid. The other pirate looks jealous that no barmaids are looking at him.

Pirates:
    (1) First, we have a new acronymn from the IT generation: it is IT and it stands for improbable tits. She is blessed with IT.
    (2) The highlighted pirate's patch looks brand new and therefore fake. I suspect he is a pirate wannabe, particularly since he has those oh-so-cute skull and crossbones on his shin guards.
    His mate looks more like the real thing so it's may be a case of Johnny Depp showing Orlando Bloom the ropes.
    (3) The set decorator just could not resist the impulse to put a flower on the table even though no pirate bar worth its salt would put flowers on the table, even using old chianti bottles cleaned and shined for the occasion, unless this is supposed to be an out of the way place in the French Quarter during Mardi Gras. Then the eye patch makes sense as the dude is a tourist on the make and - liek all tourists - looking in the wrong direction.
    Train
    Everything in it suggests a China Mieville Perdido Street Station locale. My quibble is the lighting on the girl. Where the hell is it coming from? Is she self-illuminating? An angel? A djinn - can there be female djinns or would they be djinettes? Would a pair of them be a djinette set?
    The Kids:
    Radical Thorn, sir: Did you ever read comic books? Do you recall a Marvel series about an Asian martial arts expert whose writers loved Fleetwood Mac, the hero was always listening to their music and they used their lyrics all the time? Anyway, one of his main foes was a cartoon character as opposed to a comics caharceters whose name I think was Bynocki or something like that. He lived on an island near Hong Kong and was a maniacal little devil. These kids remind me of him.

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    WOw! That's some home entertainment system in the second pickky! I want one... and note the use of rungs for non-g trips. Much more sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford Eye
    The set decorator just could not resist the impulse to put a flower on the table even though no pirate bar worth its salt would put flowers on the table...
    Flowers? I see no flowers there... Does anyone else see flowers? Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford Eye
    Radical Thorn, sir: Did you ever read comic books? Do you recall a Marvel series about an Asian martial arts expert whose writers loved Fleetwood Mac, the hero was always listening to their music and they used their lyrics all the time? Anyway, one of his main foes was a cartoon character as opposed to a comics caharceters whose name I think was Bynocki or something like that. He lived on an island near Hong Kong and was a maniacal little devil. These kids remind me of him.
    The direction of HE's mind often baffles me, and on occasion, scares me as well...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Radthorne
    Flowers? I see no flowers there... Does anyone else see flowers? Did I miss something?

No, HE most likely forgot to clean his glasses.....

LOL, now that HE's had the first volley (dijinnette set, have to remember that one,) and gone to check his eyesight, here's my take:

Kids: Object to the doll faces as mentioned above. Too much Chucky/Children of the Corn for me.

Train: Like the train, and the woman seems to be illuminated by lights that also light up the undercarriage of the train, but agree that it's a little strange. What I don't like is Sonja barbarian warrior woman sitting in the train. Not that I'm against contrasts, but this one doesn't work, IMO.

Also, what is she trying to do? It looks as if she's trying to look forward, to the front of the train. If that's the case, then logically, she would want to crouch forward, propping her hand on the ramp instead of her knee, so that she could see out the front better.

Pirates: I go with the IT judgement and the spotlight on her is just sort of silly. (Plus where it is coming from -- there's only a lone candle high up on the wall.) And the pirate captain does look a little too clean, though the composition of the whole picture -- minus the tits -- is good.

Oh, hell, it's a #%^%$@ candle! Unfocus your eyes or don't clean your glasses and it looks like bloom riding a stem in the chianti bottle. Why the %$#^ would anyone leave a candle on the sidebar where the casks are?

But, thank you, anyway; it's comforting to know my mind has a direction.