Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast
    And, just because it was quick to do, here's a little sci-fi based render...

EDIT: I decided to give her a better background than the first one, so I've swapped out the first picture. Eagle-eyed viewers should pick up on the interesting detail in the background...

Last edited by Radthorne; August 26th, 2006 at 12:34 PM.

Cool vidscreens! LOL. Love her suit, too. Why are the black and red wires so bright? Or is that the shadow of the very bright red wire?

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    She's a fan of yours, I take it, with something from The Road to Kotaishi on every screen. Must be exhilirating to know that you're still being read in the 24th century! I, for one, am envious.

This one seems to take the beaver motif further than I've ever before encountered.....or perhaps it is a caterpillar signifying man, woman, life, death, and infinity, grasshopper.
    Last edited by Hereford Eye; August 28th, 2006 at 03:04 PM.

Looks like a stillsuit. Channi? Channi is that you? On an ornithopter?

I was beginning to wonder here... I get grief if there's no new pix for a day or two, but then I post two in a row and all is silence... then boom! Everybody's back. Fickle crowd, you are...

Dazzlinkat: hmm, you're right about those wires. No, there are two there, no shadows. I have the whole background set to a matte finish, so I'm not sure why those two things are jumping out so much. I'll go in with Photoshop and tone 'em down.

Another interesting little tidbit for those of you who are really paying attention. You may recall a while back a scene with a bald guy in a sharp suit, and his ultra thin lady in the short skirt hanging on his arm? That was the same lady. I just re-dressed her and put her in a different context.

Ok, now that I've got everybody's attention again (Kat? Are you there?), here's another picture:

Ooh, ooh, I get to go first on this one. This composition is well balanced and easy to look at.

You knew it was coming, so I won't disapponnt you:
    a. This is from a nursery rhyme where little Bo Sheep has lost her bow and doesn't know where to find it but if she leaves it alone and carries a blade, it will get jealous and come home, right?
    b. Another one of those scarves worn below the hips. They haven't invented low riders yet so these scarves fill in till the Parisian designers get the mesage. Imagine what happens if she must mount her noble steed to pursue some dandy in distress.

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford Eye
    a. This is from a nursery rhyme where little Bo Sheep has lost her bow and doesn't know where to find it but if she leaves it alone and carries a blade, it will get jealous and come home, right?
    b. Another one of those scarves worn below the hips. They haven't invented low riders yet so these scarves fill in till the Parisian designers get the mesage. Imagine what happens if she must mount her noble steed to pursue some dandy in distress.
    a. Yep, forgot that. Was intending to add it, but it was getting late and it slipped my mind... I've added it to the picture above, slung on her back with the quiver.

b. What, you think warrior women have no fashion sense? And who says she has a horse? Besides, it's perfectly reasonable for someone with a sharp, pointy thing in her hand to wear any affectations she wants to, I say...

Lady Warrior pic is awesome!!! Is it ok to copy and print onto photo paper or do I have to buy it from your site? (If its there?) If her armor was gold on green, instead of gray on blue, and the front piece of her helmet had the symbols looking like green paned eyecovers, she'd BE my character Kira!

Buy it? Don't be silly. I have download files full of Kevin's pictures. But, if you'd like a large, signed print, Kevin does sell his artwork at sf conventions and such. Guess you're going to have to start figuring all that out, Kev. Can that promotional site with the totebags and such handle artwork too? (I have a lovely "Road to Kotaishi" totebag that I carry around, but my husband stole it from me and left it at his office at the moment.)

The sf one, cute on the screens, but I can like neither the woman's hair nor outfit. Compositionally it's interesting, but the figure doesn't move me.

The fantasy woman warrior coming through the Stargate or whatever, I like the background, I like the outfit, but I'm not sure the two go together. What if you did make it a green and gold costume?

What if you did make it a green and gold costume?
    Ah, ha, I suspected it and now the proof is out there for all the world to see. You're a closet Green Bay Packer fan.
    Which just goes to show it's a good thing you are married with children and the Radical Thorn is likewise spoken for. It would never work as he is obviously a Dallas Cowboy fan.,,,blue and silver, you see. And, that is both strange and dangerous as he lives in Seahawk territory.
    It is not a stargate in the background, it is a metaphorical response by the painter and the viewer to the Amazon's obvious charms...probably only works for males and a small percentage of females. The question for the day is how does he get TLWSHLWH to wear all these outlandish costumes when she sits for him?

NOOOOOOOOOOO its gold not packer mustard yellow

I happen to be a life-long Vikings fan.

Football?? How did we end up there? I wander away for a few hours, and see what happens...

Dazzlinkat: Thank you very much! I'm glad you like this one. In terms of green and gold, this is about as close as I can come:

Unfortunately, the helmet is not part of the rest of the outfit, and does not share the same textures, only coming in the one color. So while it looked ok in the blue/silver version, it's perhaps a little off in this one.

On the question of downloads and/or buying pictures: yes, you can download the images if you like. I have no issue with that, and am flattered that anyone cares to do so. (Standard creative caveats, would appreciate people not using it as their own work, etc. etc.) As for printing them, keep in mind that these are posted at web-resolution, i.e. 72 dpi, so they'll look pretty cruddy if you try and print 'em out.

For the pictures I display (and sometimes sell) at convention artshows, I have them printed up at 300 dpi, and then get them matted at a framing store with nice doubled mats. Most of these are about 10" square, with a 2" mat border; a few are larger than that. The colors of the mat really help bring out the image a lot.

As for selling images via CafePress (which is where the Kotaishi bookbag that KatG has came from, and is a great place for doing promotional materials), I could do that with the art, as they have some standard poster size things (16 x 20 for $17.99).

The only issue there is one of my own making. The art shows (at least around here) have not come up with any standards for how to deal with computer art. Generally the shows are supposed to be for original works of art, which are displayed and hopefully sold; and the better known artists also have prints of these works for sale at the shows. Well, with computer images of course there is no original (other than the bits and bytes in the computer). But if you called them all prints, then there'd be nothing to hang in the show for people to see... So what I've done, sort of on my own, is to only make one physical print of each thing I do for the art shows, and if it sells I don't print and mat any more of it, so that the buyer feels that they've actually obtained a one of a kind original of sorts. They don't necessarily know that, but at least I feel like I'm doing the right thing with it. So if I sell art prints on CafePress or something similar, then I'd probably want to do it with ones that I'm not going to display in a show.

Now that I've said all of that... Dazzlinkat, if you'd like a nice quality print of either version of our warrior woman up above, I can do a non-matted one for you and send it to you. Send me a PM if you're interested and we'll work out the details. I'm pretty reasonable.

New version is very nice.
    Now, in response to a question asked on another thread, this is taken from a bookmark Holbrook and I had done to promote Seven Threads.
    http://www.sffworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=875
    Of course, I'm not wearing my Aussie hat, my eye patch, and you can't see my Navajo belt buckle, but that's me two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford Eye
    New version is very nice.
    Now, in response to a question asked on another thread, this is taken from a bookmark Holbrook and I had done to promote Seven Threads.
    http://www.sffworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=875
    Of course, I'm not wearing my Aussie hat, my eye patch, and you can't see my Navajo belt buckle, but that's me two years ago.
    And a very fine representation it is! (And great fodder for potential imagery to come...). Many thanks!

potential imagery to come
    In the spirit of Rocket Sheep, whose spirit soars above, beyond, and through the forum, a crit of this remarkable prose phrase follows:
    potential imagery suggests visions possible but nor realized, perhaps waiting the proper stimulant or appropriate moment but very definitely neither imminent nor qualifiable. Philosophers have debated for centuries whether a potential image has any reality whatsoever. Is the future real and therefore not only predictable but predestined? The LFWA* vociferously denies this possibility. The FMA** work themselves into a frenzy refuting this concept all the while blithely unaware they are treading down that path.
    to come indicates probability at certainty, another instance of predestination.
    Ergo, therefore, and to wit, potential imagery to come is a logical contradiction. Logical contradictions are permissable only in the fantasy genre. That such a phrase makes its appearance in a discussion forum is not surprsing since the orginator of the phrase tends to write fantasy novels. It is unfortunate that this tendency appears to be spilling over into his daily life.

* League of Free Will Advocates
    ** Fundamental Monotheist Agglomeration
    Last edited by Hereford Eye; August 30th, 2006 at 08:45 AM.