Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Philosophy has always been a discipline that most people assume has no practical value at all. Yet, as you said, when I first joined the 'real world' after being in a University setting most of my adult life, I found that I was much better at evaluating and understanding business relationships and how people interacted. Though I truly believe that many gravitate toward areas that suit their personal affinities, regardless if they do so intentionally. So philosophy just taught me how to think more clearly and it provided me with a different level of awareness that I utilized in all of my endeavors.

I am a better person for every moment I studied philosophy and every philosopher whose thoughts I spent the time to understand. And more practically, I am a better negotiator, as well as more aware of motive and response.

It is different than any other discipline, isn't it? Get a PhD in anything, and people are generally willing to concede you your expertise, but such most definitely isn't the case with philosophy.

I think that says a lot.

Well, what is the expertise of a philosopher? Thinking? We should hire ourselves out to think for people. Maybe if we could turn our talents into something that earned us some money, the world would value us differently. What are 'think tanks' come to 'think' of it? More scientists and political analysts than philosophers, I imagine.

Part of the problem is simply that very few even know what philosophy is about. Though they may not know the intricacies of physics, they recognize that physicists created the atomic bomb. Practical value seems to validate things in our society. It was not always this way. I wonder when and why it changed.

We should hire ourselves out to think for people.
    Ahem... Isn't that what writers do...

So are all writers philosophers?

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    More than that, you are creators!

That means you create the philosophy, science, law and the populace of your worlds!!!

Writing is all about manipulation... It just seems like 'creation' because the thoughts we put in readers skulls weren't there before.

I'm not convinced this is the case with philosophy.

You are so cynical, Scott. The brain is a sponge. Now, that sponge may have certain characteristics before we squeeze it with our words, but how much it can absorb in the end is not in our control.

Yes, I realize I'm going Cleric on a buried thread.

How's this?

I picked up the first book of your series, because it was huge.

I *bought* the first book of your series, because it mentioned you have a PHD in Philosophy.

It often seems that the most fame worthy people don't get noticed until they croak. This even happens to the purely academic, who should supposedly get more credit than a writer, philosopher, or artist. Not sure what the deal is with that... "oh, he's dead, now we can all pretend or admit that we liked him and maybe he was right."

Somehow the average person seems to be able to go through life without considering that they might question their parents, culture, religion, -insert authority of choice here-. Someone has done all the thinking for them, so that they might have more time to make the tough choices like what ply to wipe their bums with. Maybe if they get a really thick sheet, they'll finally be able to remove their heads. Of course these people wouldn't see the value in critical thinking, as it's something they have never personally experienced. Nor would they appreciate Philosophy in general, because they can't imagine that what they've been taught and lead to believe -is- a philosophy. Their beliefs are fact and unquestionable, of course.

As for the people who appear to have brains, but fail to realize that good writing can occur in any genre... I have no words. Willful ignorance is my biggest pet peeve. All of these people make me want to go live in a cave.

It makes me wonder how many brilliant ideas and discoveries were lost, due to the brains that conceived them getting burnt out and finally saying the equivalent of "Screw you all, I'm taking this to the grave! Stay in the dark ages for all I care!"

This really is cool! An author actually admitting he likes fantasy

For some reason I always thought of fantasy authors in reallity taking the mickey out of the prose they actually earn their money with.

I seem to remeber reading interviews with (I think)Feist and Jordan , both not really a fan of their own genre.

Just finishing up the first selection i`ve read from you and i`m hooked. love how you spin a story and create a world. I sit down at my pc and open up some graphics software and just start creating, its just inside and has to come out. It`s my therapy, my sanity. Perhaps you didnt consciously intend to be a writer but it was in there lurking and you honed it and fed it really nice. You`re a writer, a talespinner, a creator, you take us to places we never imagined and take our breath away. just my way of saying thank you.