Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Books

i'm english as well..waiting for it to come out here

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Sheep
    Is that how you came to be sucked into this whole Fantasy bend Aussie is on... or did you come via the Deltora Quests etc? Or both?

No, i actualy got into Fantasy through none other than Tolkien. I was never really interested in it before that. I have to say that one of my absolute favorite Aussie fantasy writers is Sara Douglass. One of the things that troubles me, is the thought that the whole "Cadvan- Maerad" relationship (if it ever happens) will end up like a "Stardrifter- Zenith" one, (They're from the Wayfarer Redemption trilogy by Sara Doulass), which had an incredibly tragic end. I also just finished The riddle and i loved it, though it got a bit weird at the end.

By the way has anyone read any Sara Douglass?
    Last edited by Gemini; March 12th, 2005 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Cadvan
    Wahay, we're getting quite a number of Cadvan-lover's now- maybe we aught to start a fanclub! I think I like him for his flaws and stuff, and he's funny too- an added bonus.
    What do you lot imagine he looks like? I usually think along the lines of Billy Crudup in 'Stage Beauty' but maybe with longer hair. It never really specifies how long it is though...hmmm *goes off to think about hot Cadvan*
    Yeah Cadvan's great. i always imgined him with short hair, hmmmm i don't really now how to describe him. You know the actor who played Haldir (his name's Craig Parker, i think) in Lord of the Rings, well like him, trust me he looks a lot more rugged and manly (lol) without that girly blond hair, (it's really brown/ black) if you ever watch the extra's on the extended version of Two Towers, you'll see him as he's truly mean to be.

i am WAY too obsessed! Bli Bli is so dead... i guess you can tell from the way i keep making posts here tonight, i'm so bored.

go to
    http://members.aol.com/No1toTrust/ev...tors/craig.jpg
    to see a comparison photo of Craig .... do you agree?
    Last edited by Gemini; March 12th, 2005 at 11:01 PM.

Jelly Fetishist
    Hmm...
    Craig's a good looking chap, but as Cadvan...hmm. He doesn't really do it for me. Maybe if his hair was longer, but for some reason I always think of Billy Crudup as Cadvan.
    I suppose because it often describes Cadvan's 'rare brilliant smile', and he does have quite a nice smile too.
    Maybe take a look at these pictures:

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/ima...o_05_hires.jpg

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.c...3765670474.gif

not sure at all for the haldir actor..Billy i can see where you're coming from though..

Jelly Fetishist
    Mweheh, glad someone agrees with me!

I can see where your coming from, in their own way they actualy sort of look similar, but Craig'll always be Cadvan for me. Speaking of what Cadvan looks like, how do you picture Maerad?
    Last edited by Gemini; March 12th, 2005 at 10:59 PM.

Jelly Fetishist
    I can't think of any actress who I associate her with. But I'm in the process of doing some Treesong reated fanart at the moment, and i've done a watercolour portrait which I might put up on Elfwood or DeviantArt some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Cadvan
    I can't think of any actress who I associate her with. But I'm in the process of doing some Treesong reated fanart at the moment, and i've done a watercolour portrait which I might put up on Elfwood or DeviantArt some time.
    You know, nether can i. That's great about the fan art, because i was actualy looking for some the other night and there wasn't any... so dissappointed.

Talking Hey

Hey Alison, I'm a huge fan of your books, I've got them all and I have 'The Crow' on back order from my book shop. I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about 'The Crow' because i'm really excited about it. I've read your previous forums and congradulations on finishing the first draft. Can't wait to hear from you.

Wow, you take your eye off the forum for two seconds (ok, a couple of weeks) and see what happens - !!! The Cadvan fans come out of the closet and mayhem breaks loose...Apologies for being absent. I was busy doing my magazine and other things that are late because The Crow took a little longer than I planned.

Thanks to all those posting here about the books. It's great to hear your responses. I "answered" the $64 million question (will Maerad and Cadvan finally get it together?) in another thread...the fact is, even the author doesn't know. Though they obviously remain great friends, at least. And Cadvan is very much the kind of man I find attractive myself (difficult, tormented, a bit arrogant, a pain in the bum really...but also generous and fair and funny and brave &c&c ) He's not really based on anyone I know, though I married someone a bit like that, but on a composite of some people I know plus maybe some fictional heroes. Like most characters in the books, I guess.

As for The Crow... here the story shifts to Hem and Saliman, down in the South in Turbansk, and the war. I know it's a risky move - especially with the Cadvan fans - but I think Saliman is pretty cool as well. And a little less difficult than Cadvan! The Crow picks up where The Gift leaves off, more or less, and finished on Midwinter Day, the same day as The Riddle finishes. I won't say much more, except that Hem was great to write - he grows up a lot - and there are some interesting new characters, a couple of whom took me by surprise. It's called The Crow for a couple of reasons, but a major reason is Hem's pet crow, Irc, who I ended up liking a lot. It's definitely the darkest so far. When I have time to breathe a little I'll put a couple of sample chapters up on my website, and let you know.

The bad news is (for Australians) that it looks like Penguin won't be publishing it until May next year. It was going to be November - but I said too many people would be very cross with me! So it actually comes out at the same time as the UK edition will. I should say none of this is confirmed yet, but that's what the plans are at this stage.

Re: what Cadvan and Maerad look like: well, everyone has their own picture of fictional characters. The US edition of The Gift (there it's called The Naming) actually has a picture of Maerad on the cover - it's not bad actually! She has a very determined chin. Still, not quite how I think of her. Cadvan is in the background, not quite as I imagine him...I think he's a kind of cross between some gaunt rock star and a dark-haired Sean Bean. But that's just me. I love the fact that everyone has their own pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by alison
    Wow, you take your eye off the forum for two seconds (ok, a couple of weeks) and see what happens - !!! The Cadvan fans come out of the closet and mayhem breaks loose
    Well we are quite voracious... but i was so extatic when (i strongly recommend you DO NOT read this if you haven't read the Riddle!)
    Spoiler:
    I found out Cadvan wasn't dead!!!!! (of course i knew that all along! ) I actualy had to go to work just when i got up to the bit where he 'dies', so i was reasoning with myself all day about how he couldn't actualy be dead. I was so happy when i got to the final chapter when he and Maerad meet up again, that i jumped around the room. I was on this nice little high for two days after i read that,
    quite nice really

MAY 2006!!!! ah well, i can wait. If i can make it to July 16th, i can make it to May (... a daunting thought, i'll have graduated by then and will be out in the big scary world, hmmm)
    Last edited by Gemini; March 18th, 2005 at 05:45 AM.

The US edition of The Gift (there it's called The Naming) actually has a picture of Maerad on the cover - it's not bad actually! She has a very determined chin. Still, not quite how I think of her. Cadvan is in the background, not quite as I imagine him...I think he's a kind of cross between some gaunt rock star and a dark-haired Sean Bean.
    Any chance of giving us a peek?

BoA Manager
    Wow, you take your eye off the forum for two seconds (ok, a couple of weeks) and see what happens - !!! The Cadvan fans come out of the closet and mayhem breaks loose...Apologies for being absent. I was busy doing my magazine and other things that are late because The Crow took a little longer than I planned.
    Well thats what you get for being away so long!! **lil face telling u off**

Lol. soz i had drama this afternoon and i is playing the most wicked evil demon tis so kewl and now i'm a little high.

The bad news is (for Australians) that it looks like Penguin won't be publishing it until May next year. It was going to be November - but I said too many people would be very cross with me! So it actually comes out at the same time as the UK edition will. I should say none of this is confirmed yet, but that's what the plans are at this stage.
    Damn Penguin!!!! they did this to some other authors too and its kinda getting annoying!! oh well my friend said she was gonna get it for my for chrissie it'll just be my birthday instead now!

I too have my own visions of Maerad and Cadvan's appearances and the scary thign my friend and i have the same ideas give or take a few minor details like hair style and stuff but twas so funi! we think to alike and tis getting scary!

I remember reading somewhere that The Crow wasn't based in Maerad and Cadvan as much but i cant remember where? and that was just after i read The Gift so it was general info? did u put it somewhere on ur site alison?

oh well homework beckons! (on a friday night too isn't it horrible!)
    ~ Tari

Exclamation

HA! I found it all by myself!!!!!!! Go to
    http://www.coolresources.com/item/1_...977_index.html
    to see a picture of the American cover... i'm quite resourceful when i need to be!
    I like it. Hmmm, Maerad looks slightly Elven. One question though..... what the hell is that bat THING on the branch behind her, (two actualy) and why oh why is Cadvan blurred and indistinct....sigh.
    Last edited by Gemini; March 18th, 2005 at 10:18 AM.