Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries
    Just saw on your blog, Matt, that your tour for Revenge of the Sith starts in North Carolina. I have a great feeling that this tour will be huge for you. Hopefully you'll get to trek a little farther north and east! (Newport, Rhode Island is really beautiful in the spring/summer!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Spears&Buckler
    Just saw on your blog, Matt, that your tour for Revenge of the Sith starts in North Carolina. I have a great feeling that this tour will be huge for you. Hopefully you'll get to trek a little farther north and east! (Newport, Rhode Island is really beautiful in the spring/summer!!)
    Having actually BEEN to Newport (no kidding!) I can truthfully attest that it is beautiful even in November.

I don't know what the schedule's going to be; I certainly hope for SOMETHING in the NE area, if only for the chance to get in another round of drinks with Bob Salvatore (though he's mostly a white wine guy . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by Spears&Buckler
    That sort of sucks. I have to be out of town that day or I would come out to the RDU event and ask a few intriguing questions about your Overworld stuff and try to drum up some more sales for that stuff....maybe if the event is really early in the morning I can make it. *sigh*

Which reminds me of a general comment/question I need to put over in your Interactive thread when I get a chance.

Since I move in June, I hope your tour passes somewhere near either of my locations...

Urhm...

If you ask me we should be thanking people like Stover and Zahn who step up to write these novels ... they handle the franchise far more adeptly than its creator/owner...
    Too true...

I'm not much for SW (despite reading Zahn's continuation and the following series until I finally gave up) but I do appreciate the fact that all these great writers are jumping in. I mean, writers who I bow down to like Stover, Sean Stewart, Elizabeth Hand, and Michael Stackpole did it so that means there's something good there, right?
    Last edited by estranghero; February 13th, 2005 at 11:06 PM.

I kind of like the idea of multiple authors taking an active part in the same mythos. Not specifically in relation to these SW novels, but here I'm also thinking of how this is almost considered a 'normal' thing to many Baen novelists. Guys like Drake, Ringo, Weber, Flint et all happily co-author and swap and share stuff. Eric Flint in particular seems more or less set on opening up his 1632 universe to anyone who can do it justice. I suppose Feist's Tales of the Riftwar franchise would qualify as well.

At the end of the day, if people don't want to read stuff that is 'franchised' (or however you want to term it), they will vote with their wallets. For the moment, though, it seems like there is a market there.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prohasta

So how is doing sharecrop stuff okay but writing more commercial fantasy not? And don't give me the line about SW being a great pool to take a dip in, crap. For George Lucas maybe it's great, but for another writer, it's just sloppy seconds.

So why not work that mind muscle and come up with something that's gritty but also expands your readership. Not saying it's a kneejerk, one-two, probably is a deadlift double your usual load, but hey, better than just treading water in someone else's skanky pool, what?
    LOL, and finally... someone actually pokes the bear.

Gotta say Prohasta, that Stover gave his slant on elves, pixies and well... fantasy generally in HD and BOT, challenging some of the stereotypes in gritty, foul-mouthed fashion... So, why would he not take the SW franchise by the horns, and test everything the stock fanboy thinks of Jedis and their code?

I would say (without putting words in Matt's mouth), it was a challenge and if you're gonna mess with a franchise... Star Wars is a good place to start no?

Makes sense to me... I just can't wait for the Stover-penned episode of the Muppet Show... Seeing Piggy do some real damage, Caine style.

**MOD NOTE**

Just a note for members who may stumble upon this Ma'elStover ruled end of the SFFW universe... The context of this thread is to poke the bear, but mean what you say... fingers hover on mod buttons all the time, but people seem to like the semi-contact in here, also the Bear seems to stay in his cave more often than not and doesn't venture much into standard SFFW territory... Phew. So, in short, this is not an invite to dive into the rest of forums calling members Jerks and poking authors... Wait until you're invited, thanks folks.

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza
    So, why would he not take the SW franchise by the horns, and test everything the stock fanboy thinks of Jedis and their code?

I would say (without putting words in Matt's mouth), it was a challenge and if you're gonna mess with a franchise... Star Wars is a good place to start no?
    Ma'ElStover... Heh.

In reference to the above, I need to say but one thing: there is no Dark Side.

http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordpress/

Question

Ok, I will admit I had never heard of Mr Stover until today. Then again, don't go looking for fantasy much. These books are more in the Gemmellesque mode, with swearing as opposed to more of the namby-pamby elf/dragon stuff?

I would (and have) happily read anything by Gemmell. Fantasy I have read recently I guess is The Raven series - bit of fun, not the world's best writing by any stretch.

Steven Brust is a favorite, too, so perhaps I would be more likely to like these than not?

Thought this was the critics' thread. haven't read too much of that.

SPOLIER-

Alright: the end of BoT seemed like a deus ex machina to me. I think I got whiplash from that sudden plot reversal.

Also, Stover tends to overuse the itallics. We get it when you're making a point, no need to hammer it in.

Hmm, that's about all I can think of.

Also, I loved your work with the Baltimore Ravens.