Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I swing the other way I like Blade of Tyshalle better, its to me a much deeper analysis of who Caine is. Saying more would spoil it

I was kidding, sheesh

I was kidding and knew that at least Mr. Stover would realize that (since I've reviewed favorably every book of his that I've read).

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    We know you were kidding Mervius, I just thought it was funny is all...

I knew Merv was kidding indeed -- and I am VERY happy to see you here, buddy!

And thanks for the plug, too!

Haven't seen you around [dead cities] much lately. Hope all's well . . .

BoT v. HD

Thats a tough one. They say you never forget your first and HD was my first exposure to MWS.

Though I have to say, I have never read a book that left me with such an incredibly large Sh!+ eating grin on my face as BoT.

I'm going with Blade of Tyshalle. Heroes Die was huge, don't get me wrong, but I found I got more out of the angle of BoT wherein

Spoiler:
    instead of struggling to suppress Caine and be Hari it's more of a process of embracing his flaws. Reconciling himself with the truth that he really is Caine and some of what he felt in the first book were more like abhorrent qualities become after his renaissance in the second one his strengths... I dunno it meant a lot to me for some reason. I guess not many characters are portrayed gravitating toward evil tendencies as a good thing but if it's all about being yourself there's bound to be some people who are gonna wind up being nasty friggin people.

The Blind God was a harrowing conscience-kick to the materialistic head too. It's interesting that the only sollution there was to his particular problem in the end was to shut him off, deny him entry to Overworld. I can't see the mass of humanity ever being free of what the Blind God represents. How do you unravel a knot like that?

Edited to add funky new spoiler tags... Jac
    Last edited by Jacquin; January 22nd, 2005 at 06:01 PM.

What - exactly - do we mean by 'poke,' here...

Just wanted to clear that up before admitting that I've done it before, and it's not so bad.

Aww . . .

I bet you say that to all the boys . . .

*hah-khagh*

What were we talking about?

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    I'm gonna throw in my two cents here. I've only read a couple of chapters of BOT becuase it was so touted as a great book by a great author. I won't deny that the writing is good. My trouble is that the main character is an abrasive jerk. I had a hard time accepting him and hence, put down the book.

I will pick it up again one day. I always finish what I start reading once it goes into the must read pile. I guess it was drastically different than what I was reading (MSaT by Williams) and it was a brutal jump. Like I said, I will pick it up again one day. Just giving you my first impression.

Quote Originally Posted by maus99
    My trouble is that the main character is an abrasive jerk.
    He doesn't get any nicer.

You might try HEROES DIE first -- BLADE is a sequel, after all . . .

But he doesn't get any nicer in that, either.

Both books were great, but I definitely preferred Heroes Die. I was really really shocked reading the first few pages (I mentioned I am very PC and was a little surprised at the proliferation of expletives), which I enjoyed so much I settled down to a good read. I prefer Hari Michaelson to Caine, but also I thought you couldn't really have one without the other, and if I were Hari, it would be easier to cope with life if Caine were a potential presence.

I see what you mean Maus99 in that I think if he existed and I met Caine, he would irritate me immensely - but that sort of character would do. It's kind of part of his charm.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Yea, give HD a try first Maus, the problem is that you joined the party when Caine was dealing with his demons, beating up his teachers and peers. Wait until he starts killing people for fame and fortune... MUCH BETTER Still had demons mind you, literally and metaphorically.

... You aren't saying that you need to like every main character you read in order to read on, are you?

Good writing gives you a context for the abrasiveness and reasons why someone is a jerk... you just skipped a whole book of reasons.

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    I think the initial trouble I had was going from Simple Simon (in MSaT) to Complex Caine. I also started out with the wrong book in the series, agreed. I do plan on starting them in the correct order, it was just a shocker for a main character to be so outside the norm or descent, simple good guy.

As I'd said, good writing, just wasn't the character I was expectiong.

Blog Entries

Book Tour?

I heard through the grapevine (grapevine = Matt's blog) that Matt Stover will be going on a book tour for his Revenge of the Sith novelization. Can't wait for that! Hopefully he comes to the Southern New England area so I can tell him how much I can't stand him in person!!

Anywhere in the general vicinity would work. I'd be willing to drive to Dallas if needed....