Recommendation Please :)

I'm sure you get a ton of these types of threads and are thinking to yourself "Ugh, another one?" but I'm looking for a good series (preferably completed, I hate waiting! Just recently read The Warded Man and The Desert Spear and now I have to wait for the last of the trilogy!)

First, let me explain the type of fantasy/adventure book I like.

I am a big fan of zero to hero (who hasn't been until they play it out lol) but, I particularly like a main character to be more melee based than magic. Swords and hand to hand really strike my interest most of all, but I enjoyed the young adult series The Strongbow Saga which is mainly focused on his Archery ability.

So what I'm looking for is an epic book(or series) focusing on one main character, that has good character development, doesnt have to have a complete lack of magic, a little can add good spice to a tale, but one that is mainly focused on melee with his struggle as a youth, his training, and his triumph.

Ones set in the dark ages tend to strike my fancy the most, but I'm open to any time setting

Preferably in the Adult category.

Thank you ahead of time for any recommendations.

the deed of packsineron... oh hell, somebody else will know how to spell it.

by Elizabeth Moon,

fairly low magic, great action, very good story.

new series that shows a lot of promise is Rhone by John A. Karr

Quote Originally Posted by werewolfv2 View Post
    the deed of packsineron... oh hell, somebody else will know how to spell it.

by Elizabeth Moon,

fairly low magic, great action, very good story.

new series that shows a lot of promise is Rhone by John A. Karr
    Thanks for the reply I'll add it to my list of hopefuls but reading the synopsis has brought me to add a few more things to what I'm looking for.

I'd like the book to have a male protagonist, not that I'm sexist at all, it's just what I'd prefer to read at the moment

Also, humans only as a race would be preferred as well. I like my main character to be powerful, but half demon, or half god, is a bit too much of an advantage haha

But I'll definitely add these and take a look at it in the future, thanks for both of the recommendations!
    Last edited by mrmike; May 11th, 2010 at 01:16 AM.

Night Angel by Weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Night Angel by Weeks
    This looks interesting, thank you for the recommendation

Starving reader though, so I welcome more!

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    The Book of Words by J V Jones: starts with the proverbial baker boy and follows his epic journey to [guess what] kinghood. Has some very funny characters along the way.

Or, if you haven't read it yet, the other baker boy from "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" by Tad Williams. An even grander scale, with better style and a much larger world.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    I'm sure you get a ton of these types of threads and are thinking to yourself "Ugh, another one?"
    Hi mrmike,

Welcome to the SFFWorld Forums. Yes, I was thinking that, how did you know?

We get a lot of "what can I read next" threads on just about a daily basis. We find that such posts usually get the same response. Actually looking at what's already on the Web site or utilizing our [URLhttp://www.sffworld.com/forums/search.php]SEARCH[/URL] function will usually answer most people's requests. Perhaps it is uncommon, but we like people to have a look around rather than just demand (even if it's polite!) immediate gratification for their own personal needs.

With such a large and complex site it can be difficult to see everything going on, admittedly. But if people think that there's answers out there they will point people in the general direction.

So, rather than people coming here and repeating the recommendations they've provided in other threads, I'll direct you to some of those threads:

The New and Improved Recommendation - Fantasy / Horror
    If you like ^^^^^ then you might like #####
    Looking for something 'magical'.
    Gimme some good adventure books! (Similar to Three Musketeers,Locke Lamora or Sharpe)
    Book that just blew your mind....
    Just started in Epic Fantasy - What to read?

Looking to start new series
    Need help picking new fantasy series to read
    **looking For Fantasy Trilogies**
    Hopefully putting this in the right place (looking for a new series to read)

my next series to read
    Fantasy series
    Looking to start new series

All that having been said, I'm closing this thread.