Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1

    Malazan, worth reading past book 3?

    hey, so i just finished reading memories of ice from the malazan series and i must say, it was awesome. however i really, really did not enjoy the first one. the second was okay too, but not on the third books level.

    so is it worth continuing on in the series or does it have a downfall in quality once again, because frankly i do NOT want to read another gardens of the moon, and i've heard the third book is the best one.

    oh and i used the search feature and couldn't come up with anything of particular use. so yeah.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, CANADA
    Posts
    6,132
    Most people say Books 2 and 3 are the best... but I found Books 4, 5, and 6 to be my favourites (especially Book 5). If you're enjoying it so far, keep reading.

    I'm up to Book 7, and they've all been great. There are no more books like Book 1. The only flaws that persist are some unnecessary side plots (sort of like in Book 3, with the Mhybe and the Bauchelain/Broach side stories), but the rest is still awesome as ever.
    Last edited by Evil Agent; May 9th, 2010 at 05:09 AM.

  3. #3
    http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tacoma, WA/ Seoul, South Korea
    Posts
    1,611
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    Most people say Books 2 and 3 are the best... but I found Books 4, 5, and 6 to be my favourites (especially Book 5). If you're enjoying it so far, keep reading.

    I'm up to Book 7, and they've all been great. There are no more books like Book 1. The only flaws that persist are some unnecessary side plots (sort of like in Book 3, with the Mhybe and the Bauchelain/Broach side stories), but the rest is still awesome as ever.
    I have only read up to book 4 but I have the next two books in my pile. Since book 5 starts on a new continent I have taken some time off to read a few other novels. That said, I think that each new book in the series is better than the previous book.

    I recommend you keep on trucking through Malazan.

  4. #4
    Well I just recently picked up House of Chains, 200 pages in and it's great so far. I find it better structured than DG/MoI, maybe it'as because the book follows only one character so far...*shrug*

  5. #5
    Registered User Werthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,670
    Books 2 and 3 are the best, IMO. 5 and 7 are also pretty good. 4 and 6 are the weakest in the series. 8 is well-written, but almost mind-numbingly dull and inert. 9 is middling-to-decent, but way overlong. If 10 is anything like 9, there is no reason they couldn't have been one book.

    Bringing in Esslemont's Malazan books, Night of Knives is okay but a bit forgettable, whilst Return of the Crimson Guard is pretty good, somewhere around the quality of Erikson's Books 5 and 7.

  6. #6
    Dazed Rambler Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    503
    I'm with Evil Agent here. While I loved Memories of Ice and Deadhouse Gates had the fantastic Chain of Dogs, my favorites are Midnight Tides (5) and The Bonehunters (6). House of Chains (4), isn't as good as Deadhouse Gates or Memories of Ice, but is certainly better than Gardens of the Moon.

  7. #7
    Book 3 is the best by some distance, book 4 and 5 are still well worth reading, but after that the decline starts, at least IMO. Book 8 is quite weak, though in a very different way than GOTM.

  8. #8
    Registered User Werthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,670
    I think on a first read-through, 1 can come across as one of the weaker books in the series. However, it improves immensely on re-reads until it becomes one of the stronger books, thanks to its relative conciseness and lack of inexplicable WTF and DEM moments (GotM is more or less fully comprehensible at this point). I don't think a lot of the other books improve as much on re-reads.

  9. #9
    I loved books 1-4, but could not get through the interminable book 5, Midnight Tides. It was a slog with no action for hundreds of pages. Book 6, Bonehunters, was another good one, with good characters and plot, and plenty of action. I am 200 pages into Book 7 and about to give up - nothing has happened except people walking around and a lot of talking. Part of why I read fantasy is the action, and books 5 and 7 have almost none. I'll give Reapers Gale another hundred pages, but that's it.

  10. #10
    Lord of the Frozen Wastes
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Books 2 and 3 are the best, IMO. 5 and 7 are also pretty good. 4 and 6 are the weakest in the series. 8 is well-written, but almost mind-numbingly dull and inert. 9 is middling-to-decent, but way overlong. If 10 is anything like 9, there is no reason they couldn't have been one book.

    Bringing in Esslemont's Malazan books, Night of Knives is okay but a bit forgettable, whilst Return of the Crimson Guard is pretty good, somewhere around the quality of Erikson's Books 5 and 7.
    That's good to hear about the Crimson Guard. I read Night of Knives and liked it, but thought it was a little lacking in some departments (obviously you have to give him slack as it's his first book), so it's good to hear that he is improving.

  11. #11
    Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, CANADA
    Posts
    6,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Books 2 and 3 are the best, IMO. 5 and 7 are also pretty good. 4 and 6 are the weakest in the series.
    You know, this seems to be the general opinion... but I am an exception. I loved the Karsa intro to Book 4, and (for some reason I still can't figure out) I found Book 6 the hardest to put down. I loved Book 6. I read it in under two weeks, which was by far the quickest I've ever read a Malazan novel. Book 3, by comparison, took me 10 weeks (mostly because I struggled with the very slow first half).

    My overall favourite was probably Book 5. I just liked how different everything was, as well as the spectacular contrast between the Edur and Letheri societies.

    Wert, I'm wondering why you consider 4 and 6 to be the weakest in the series, when your description of 8 (and even 9) made the latter ones sound far worse.
    Last edited by Evil Agent; May 9th, 2010 at 02:11 PM.

  12. #12
    Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, CANADA
    Posts
    6,132
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_geo View Post
    I am 200 pages into Book 7 and about to give up - nothing has happened except people walking around and a lot of talking. Part of why I read fantasy is the action, and books 5 and 7 have almost none. I'll give Reapers Gale another hundred pages, but that's it.
    I hear you. I felt exactly the same way, and I did give up, halfway through Book 7. I put it down for an entire year! But trust me... the second half is so good, and so much better than the pointless first half. Keep reading.

  13. #13
    I should be working metalprof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, IN
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Electronic6 View Post
    Well I just recently picked up House of Chains, 200 pages in and it's great so far. I find it better structured than DG/MoI, maybe it'as because the book follows only one character so far...*shrug*
    Your're about 50 pages ahead of me, and like you and Evil Agent, I'm loving this Karsa Orlong story. It moves along well, and doesn't have a lot of cryptic nonsense while still dropping hints of how Orlong's story fits in with the big picture.

    Ken

  14. #14
    Registered User DelphicRaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere between Here and There
    Posts
    45
    I really think the Malazan series starts to pick up at book 3. Book 3 was one of my favorites in the series, truly a fantastic read. Personally, I think book 8, "Toll the Hounds" was one of the weakest but still good to read. In my humble opinion, I think each book you read, more of the story becomes clear. The scope is huge, and sometimes it can be confusing and hard to understand at times but it's really worth pushing through. I really do think it starts to pick up around book 3. It would be a shame to make it through books 1 and 2 just to give up before it gets really good.

    [Edit] I just realized I'm a moron and didn't really answer the question. Yes, it's worth reading past book 3. I somehow had it stuck in my mind that the person was asking if it was worth reading past book 2 instead of book 3. Oops.

  15. #15
    alright it's settled, seems opinions are rather mixed other than the fact that it never gets as bad as gardens of the moon, which i only endured because of all the good things i read about book 2 and 3. i wouldn't want to do that again, they're so long!

    i bought books 4-6 anyway lol. shame books 7-9 don't come in the same edition i have

    thanks guys.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •