Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett

As you guys already know, The Desert Spear is the sequel to a fairly popular novel here The Painted Man (The Warded Man in the US). It's coming out in 3 months from now, in early April... in a simultaneous release in the UK and the US... don't know where else. I guess one has to pay attention to which version one has to buy, from which publisher... depending if you read The Painted Man or The Warded Man previously. I'm not particular about the details, but I think some characters have some slight name changes between the two versions.

Later on this month the novella The Great Bazaar and Other Stories will be released:
    http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Mer...oduct_Count=20

So, to the reason why I created the thread now was because I just saw on Pat's Fantasy HotList Blog a post with an excerpt from The Desert Spear which I thought some of you here might be interested in. I haven't read it yet, but here's the link to it:
    http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2...-v-bretts.html

Product Description

The sun is setting on humanity. The night now belongs to voracious demons that arise as the sun sets, preying upon a dwindling population forced to cower behind ancient and half-forgotten symbols of power. These wards alone can keep the demons at bay, but legends tell of a Deliverer: a general—some would say prophet—who once bound all mankind into a single force that defeated the demons. Those times, if they ever existed, are long past. The demons are back, and the return of the Deliverer is just another myth . . . or is it?

Out of the desert rides Ahmann Jardir, who has forged the warlike desert tribes of Krasia into a demon-killing army. He has proclaimed himself Shar’Dama Ka, the Deliverer, and he carries ancient weapons—a spear and a crown—that give credence to his claim. Sworn to follow the path of the first Deliverer, he has come north to bring the scattered city-states of the green lands together in a war against demonkind—whether they like it or not.

But the northerners claim their own Deliverer. His name was Arlen, but all know him now as the Warded Man: a dark, forbidding figure whose skin is tattooed with wards so powerful they make him a match for any demon. The Warded Man denies that he is the Deliverer, but his actions speak louder than words, for he teaches men and women to face their fears and stand fast against the creatures that have tormented them for centuries.

Once the Shar’Dama Ka and the Warded Man were friends, brothers in arms. Now they are fierce adversaries. Caught between them are Renna, a young woman pushed to the edge of human endurance; Leesha, a proud and beautiful healer whose skill in warding surpasses that of the Warded Man himself; and Rojer, a traveling fiddler whose uncanny music can soothe the demons—or stir them into such frenzy that they attack one another.

Yet as old allegiances are tested and fresh alliances forged, all are blissfully unaware of the appearance of a new breed of demon, more intelligent—and deadly—than any that have come before.
    http://www.amazon.com/Desert-Spear-P...2739878&sr=1-1

You can discuss The Warded Man/ The Painted Man in the following thread:
    http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20642

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I bought the fine UK hardcover of The Painted Man, so I will be looking for the UK Desert Spear as well. The only thing that concerns me is whether or not HarperVoyager will release this one in the same format. Those who have it will know The Painted Man was published in a small hardcover format, smaller than the other hardcover releases even from the same publisher. I hope they maintain that format, if they don't I will buy the US version simply out of spite. Format changes for first releases is not done.

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up on the novella, will be looking to pick that up. Was disappointed that Desert Spear got push back to this year, but sure it'll be worth the wait and it's not as much of a wait as the other next in series books I am waiting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion View Post
    I bought the fine UK hardcover of The Painted Man, so I will be looking for the UK Desert Spear as well. The only thing that concerns me is whether or not HarperVoyager will release this one in the same format. Those who have it will know The Painted Man was published in a small hardcover format, smaller than the other hardcover releases even from the same publisher. I hope they maintain that format, if they don't I will buy the US version simply out of spite. Format changes for first releases is not done.
    Assuming this is the version you have, it seems like The Desert Spear should have the same dimensions... of course assuming their information is correct:

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9...graphicdata-26

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9...graphicdata-26

I had pre-ordered The Great Bazaar and Other Stories, and Bookdepository had it slated for release for January 1 (though I was sure this was wrong), and Amazon had it listed for January 31st... and this was just recently. Now I see that the order from BD still is "Awaiting Publication", so I go over to Amazon to see that the date has been pushed back to February 28.

Did they simply have the wrong dates all along? Or was it pushed back for some reason? Wondering if anyone here knows and if I can trust the February 28 date.
    Last edited by Bastard; February 2nd, 2010 at 08:31 PM.

This is due to the publisher, Subpress release dates are extremely variable. February 28th is also not a firm date, it could be out sooner or later, depends on where it is in the queue with their printer/shipper.

This is due to the publisher, Subpress release dates are extremely variable. February 28th is also not a firm date, it could be out sooner or later, depends on where it is in the queue with their printer/shipper.
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Just got a notification from Bookdepository that they'll be cancelling my order for The Great Bazaar and Other Stories.

Anyone buy this book from them and got cancellations too?

I loved The Warded Man and read it while I was in Japan. I've been holding off on reading the novella until the 2nd book came out so I could go right from one into the other, but topics like this make it difficult!

Anyone buy this book from them and got cancellations too?
    No, but I did order for instance Mirror Kingdoms from them, due on February 28th, and I just heard it will be shipped perhaps in April. So like I said, not very reliable. There are other Subpress products that are hard to get via Amazon, though you could try for the Great Bazaar there...

Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    Really looking forward to this book.

No, but I did order for instance Mirror Kingdoms from them, due on February 28th, and I just heard it will be shipped perhaps in April. So like I said, not very reliable. There are other Subpress products that are hard to get via Amazon, though you could try for the Great Bazaar there...
    I ended up buying it from Amazon, and they got it to me in no time. Thanks.

Well, I did end up reading The Great Bazaar and Other Stories, and I did enjoy it quite a bit.

It pretty much has 3 sections. The first one has a couple of new scenes of Arlen exploring and fighting a demon he hadn't faced before that point. I didn't care much for this scene. The other scenes centered around Abban and although I really didn't care for him at the start, by the end of it I thought it was great... it really brings some insight into the character and he ends up being, to me, much more interesting than he was first painted. The scenes deal with an explanation of who he is, his family his status, his rivals, then Arlen comes, and how he deals with him, and how he can get him illegal materials, and how they end up going about it until "the **** hits the fan" as far as the scene goes.

After that section we have a Deleted Scenes section. Each deleted scene is prefaced by a word from the author and commentary explaining the scene and an explaining why it was cut. The first scene was what was supposed to be some sort of prologue for the series, or at least the introduction into the series. I really didn't care much for this scene.

The second scene, which pretty much was my favorite in the whole book other than some segments with Abban, dealt with how Leesha deals with helping one of her former friends, who had become an "enemy". And during the course of it, we see how Leesha has become a strong character. Really enjoyed the scene.

The third section is a glossary of sorts and has a ward grimoire, with drawings of the types of wards, with explanations for each of them, and against which demons they're to be used. I haven't read this section yet, but I think it's a pretty good companion to keep handy when reading the rest of the series. I know I'll keep it handy for references. It should be particularly helpful in the Desert Spear since we'll be dealing a lot with Krasia and some of their "strange" words.

Now, waiting for the book to arrive. I hope it doesn't get delayed too much to get here. In all, it got me excited to read from this world again. I'm pretty pumped up to see the new characters and new point of views introduced, if the Abban section was but a preview to how new character POV might go and the insights they might give.
    Last edited by Bastard; March 30th, 2010 at 10:02 AM.

Cant wait!. Finished The Great Bazaar the other day and my appetite has been wet.

Edit: Yay my copy of The Desert Spear is being shipped.
    Last edited by Scrambles; March 30th, 2010 at 04:25 PM.

Heh. I'm in a similar position here. I only just finished The Warded Man for the first time today, but I'd already ordered The Desert Spear and The Great Bazaar when I was halfway through the book. I've received The Desert Spear already but I wanted to read The Great Bazaar first. Hopefully that'll arrive tomorrow and I can get cracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappster View Post
    Heh. I'm in a similar position here. I only just finished The Warded Man for the first time today, but I'd already ordered The Desert Spear and The Great Bazaar when I was halfway through the book. I've received The Desert Spear already but I wanted to read The Great Bazaar first. Hopefully that'll arrive tomorrow and I can get cracking.
    Highly recommended you wait, if you read my post you'll see that it will make the experience with The Desert Spear much better in my opinion, plus it seems like a good companion book with the Krasia Dictionary and the Wards Grimoire.

I'm still waiting for The Desert Spear to arrive, but not expecting it soon. I think it'll be a couple of weeks at best.