Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Books with Very Powerful Protagonist, and only 1 POV

Hello all...I'm new here.
    (But not that new to fantasy.)

Anyway...yes, this is a request for recommendations. But I have searched for a bit in other recommendation threads, and haven't found anything like what I want (or that I haven't read so far). You can recommend a recommendation thread to me, of course.

Here is what I like:

• Only one POV, and that of the main character. I like to associate with my character, and switching POVs isn't fun. And it ruins the book when I wish to go back to a different POV all the time.
    • The protagonist is very magically powerful. Enough so that the common problems, i.e. a small patrol of soldiers or a few wolves, isn't a bother. He should not have to fear 90% or more of the things a normal person/adventurer in that land would fear. (His focus should be more on "important" foes.)
    • And the type of magic: I don't like magic controlled by spells/poems/songs/items much. The magic in the Inheritance Cycle or Belgarath the Sorcerer is the best... mostly mind/will controlled. Eragon in the Inheritance Cycle usually spoke a word, but it was quick (and he could do it in his mind). I just don't like when a magician is reciting a lonnnggg spell while the enemies are bashing up him or his friends. Plus, I think spells make less sense than willing something.

Thanks!

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserWraith View Post
    Hello all...I'm new here.
    (But not that new to fantasy.)

Anyway...yes, this is a request for recommendations. But I have searched for a bit in other recommendation threads, and haven't found anything like what I want (or that I haven't read so far). You can recommend a recommendation thread to me, of course.

Here is what I like:

• Only one POV, and that of the main character. I like to associate with my character, and switching POVs isn't fun. And it ruins the book when I wish to go back to a different POV all the time.
    • The protagonist is very magically powerful. Enough so that the common problems, i.e. a small patrol of soldiers or a few wolves, isn't a bother. He should not have to fear 90% or more of the things a normal person/adventurer in that land would fear. (His focus should be more on "important" foes.)
    • And the type of magic: I don't like magic controlled by spells/poems/songs/items much. The magic in the Inheritance Cycle or Belgarath the Sorcerer is the best... mostly mind/will controlled. Eragon in the Inheritance Cycle usually spoke a word, but it was quick (and he could do it in his mind). I just don't like when a magician is reciting a lonnnggg spell while the enemies are bashing up him or his friends. Plus, I think spells make less sense than willing something.

Thanks!
    The only one that comes right to mind is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It is told from the magician Kvothe's prospective as someone is writing down his story. So it is a giant flashback with sections taking place in present day.

Hopefully others will chime in with more suggestions.

Uh, Kvothe isn't magically powerful, like, at ALL. Not in the first book anyway.

The Wheel of Time is the obvious suggestion. Rand is Teh Ubermensch, and his magic is of the non-verbal variety. True, as the story progresses, more POVs appear, but the first book is focused entirely on him. The Prince of Nothing doesn't quite work, alas, because even though Kellhus is insanely powerful (won't spoil in what ways), it is not a single-POV book. I think Mistborn works too, at least book 1 (which is self-contained anyway).

But honestly, today's fantasy just doesn't use a combination of those three. Single-POV books are a rarity, and uber-powerful characters seem to have lost the public's love. It's hard to make them interesting.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    True but Kvothe's power is alluded to.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wheel of Time is a really bad recommendation for what he's after. I can't actually think of a book with one PoV and that character is all powerful.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Ursula K Le Guin - Earthsea - powerful wizard messes up the world and then tries to fix it.

C S Friedman - Coldfire books : Gerald Tarrant is pretty much unbeatable, and I don't remember much jumping in POV's, although Tarrant is not always the focus.

Most of the other books I'm thinking about use multiple POV's.

Supercalifragilistic
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. No doubt this is what you are looking for. Yes in the first book he is not all powerful. But, it is only the first book. I guarantee you will like it.

Blog Entries
    Brent Week's 'Shadow' trilogy might be what he is looking for, though there is some PoV skipping.

The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher

Quote Originally Posted by LaserWraith View Post
    [*]The protagonist is very magically powerful. Enough so that the common problems, i.e. a small patrol of soldiers or a few wolves, isn't a bother. He should not have to fear 90% or more of the things a normal person/adventurer in that land would fear. (His focus should be more on "important" foes.)
    Honestly, this sounds like a recipe for a really boring book.

Data Error
    Hmmmm.

Check out Elminster.

Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    One POV usually mean first person view books.

I recommend Dresden Files by Jim Butcher and The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny.

I also second the Earthsea trilogy (but not that the POV changes from book to book).

I second the Chronicles of Amber. I think it fits the criteria well.

Quote Originally Posted by DailyRich View Post
    Honestly, this sounds like a recipe for a really boring book.
    Actually, I was just thinking that myself ... but then again, there's no accounting for taste, right?

Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    Oh, and there's also Harry Potter, although I'm not sure he's qualified as "very powerful".