Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Sir Gregory of Brillatain

The netherworld between the two

Sir Gregory of Brillatain says:

Geekdom and PopJockclique? I was stuck somewhere inbetween. Too noble strong and dashing for the former (they suspected me a spy) but too smart and well mannered for the 'petty kingdom' whose menbership I declined. I mostly sat alone at lunch for "stuckup" was my tag. Just being quiet and demurr earned me that moniker.

Still, the geeks were never mean or rude, but the others were constant pains.

I think the explosion of Fantasy and Sci Fi in recent years is more based on the internet and the free flowing and sharing of ideas that has made available. It is now a simple matter to join a forum, blog or other type of discussion group and instantly find other people who enjoy reading or watching or participating in the same things you do

This in itself removes a lot of the 'geek' stigma which was previously associated to fantasy in particular as well as sci fi - how can it be geeky when thousands upon thousands of other people, obviously educated, who I can talk to about it on the web, like the same things?

There has been a number of campaigns over the past decade in the 'popular media' trying to reassert the geek image to followers of fantasy and sci fi, but they have largely failed because of the internet. As the popularity for fantasy and sci fi movies and books grows larger, it makes them more and more mainstream, making it harder for any type of stigma to be again attached to them. Kind of like the women's lib movement

It is now no longer geeky to watch sci fi shows like the new Battlestar Gallactica series - my Uncle was telling me that back when the original aired on television you were considered a 'loser' or a 'geek' if you were an adult and enjoyed that type of show. Recent studies have shown that as many as half of the people polled at the time the first BSG series aired were too embarrassed to claim they actively read or watched fantasy / sci fi due to the implied loss in social status from being perceived as a geek or loser

I'm 24, and I'm not sure where that puts me in terms of above or below average age on here.

However, what it does mean is I get to personally see a more modern generation of geeks, and it's pretty clear that, while there is a way to go, the whole culture is getting more and more accepted. As such, I've met people who I never would have expected to be geeks. One of my best friends, a brazillian girl I met when helping her find her way around our college campus, as she had just moved here, and I was amazed when I found out that one of her errands after class was to find a local gaming shop. I don't think I've ever met what is considered the "typical" nerd, which doesn't surprise me since it's actually a fairly social lifestyle, if just within its own group

Frightened Anarchist Ultraboris's Avatar
    Fantasy is criticized and stigmatized because of this entire bunch of movies that Hollywood is recording based on fantasy books. Movies are very bad and commercial in many cases, so people rate entire fantasy world with quality of this movies. Fantasy movies are fantasy elements closest to the ordinary consumer, so they think movies are the only elements of fantasy world. They don't read books, they don't play games... Blah!

I started down the path of geekdom when I got my first computer, a shiny new Vic-20.

I immediately began to program my own 'choose your own adventure' video games, and later, when I got a C-64 with it's fast-as-light floppy drive, my friend and I began programming smallish rpg's between marathon rounds of A Bard's Tale IV.

We soon found ourselves immersed in Tolkien and Dante. I quickly created a library of every AD&D 2nd edition manual, as well as tending to a huge collection of dice in every imaginable configuration (my favourite being my 1d100).

Now this was mid-to-late Eighties. Our parents quickly looked at the evidences and concluded (perhaps naively) that we were devil worshipers. His mother invited a priest over and went through all his albums and books. My uncle burned all my AD&D books and homemade adventures.

I have an almost insatiable appetite for science, philosophy and religion. I love little snippets of information or novel programs that do something no one else would have an interest in. My daughter says I embody the very ideal of the Geek.

That's my story.. that's me.

I think a geek use to be the guy at a carnival or circus side show who bit the heads off of chickens.
    From those humble beginnings the Geek has evolved. Yeah, I say unto you, Geeks may well be the highest form of life on the planet! I have many Geek-like qualities, straight A's in school, always with a book, I thought the Legend of Zelda on Nintendo was the 9th wonder of the world, and I still look up at night, just in case there is an alien space craft hovering somewhere in the sky. I am also envious of the guy on here who has a replica of the One Ring and Sting.

Misery loves company, and in the same sense people dont like those who are different. So many, esp growing up have huge spaces in their lives and nothing to fill them with. So when they see that we love to read and dream they feel inferior and threatened. I have a passion in life, its digital artwork...and one of the subjects I love to work on is fantasy. most cant understand that I dont do it because im so bored like they are, its because its inside me and has to come out, I love doing it.
    I used to play lots of boardgames, even created my own fantasy games. I love creating worlds and such. My first fantasy read was The Hobbit in 1975 and its been a love affair from there.
    There are few things as sad to me as people who waste their lives, who dont even try. At least the so-called geeks are using their imaginations and creating in their own minds if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeolas View Post
    There are few things as sad to me as people who waste their lives, who dont even try. At least the so-called geeks are using their imaginations and creating in their own minds if nothing else.
    Here here! Or better yet, "Hear here!"

When I first started doing digital art I was working at target. Most of the people there went clubbing alot...alot lol. They gossiped and got in fights and made their lives a soap opera. They had nothing to do so they filled their lives with that, well its their lives so they can do as they like. They wanted me to go drinking with them often and I declined, which they could never understand. To them the artwork had no meaning so they thought I needed to be just like them, that had meaning because it was their meaning. To me it would be folly and a waste.
    It`s your time and your life kids so spend it as you wish. Dont let the `cool` people get under your skin. they just want everyone else to waste time like they do so they dont feel so bad. People who are falling want to grab onto as many others as they can because it makes them feel better about their own fall.

I kind of took it the other way,tried to build a "fantastical" strength training system. Made myself stronger, faster, smarter,(but, unfortunately, not more handsome!) and continue to do so. When people see me with a book, they look at me like they think I am running some kind of con! I am a no limit Geek. Fantasy is for the evolved!!!

haha I know what you mean....people really shouldnt stereotype in life. nor should we ever feel bound to a stereotype, we should build our lives based on what we like, what we wish. Growing up I was reading alot and added artwork and playing every sport I could. I wonder why the stereotype is either knowledge or physical exertion? Why isnt both together a focus? Develop body and mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeolas View Post
    haha I know what you mean....people really shouldnt stereotype in life. nor should we ever feel bound to a stereotype, we should build our lives based on what we like, what we wish. Growing up I was reading alot and added artwork and playing every sport I could. I wonder why the stereotype is either knowledge or physical exertion? Why isnt both together a focus? Develop body and mind.
    I think it is the Japanese that have a whole system of ideas about balance between mind and body. Exert both, and the rest will follow...

Which only makes sense, develop the whole person.