Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    I think most fantasy fans would be DELIGHTED, if our children became fans of the genre, I know I will encourage it (and do... The Hobbit has already been skimmed for the benefit of my 6 year old)...

So, if we all have say, 3 or 4 kids... The fan base will be not too shabby by the time our kids get into print... Sorry Scott and Gary, no solution for you guys who deserve more acclaim...

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    The image of what's in involved with being the 'only' one at this orgy is not appealing. And since this is a pg13 site, we can't even talk about it.

"PG-13"

I probably should take this moment to inform everyone that my books are definitely 'R' rated. I mean that seriously. One of the things that freaks me out is the idea of young kids getting at my books. But until there's a rating system for fiction, what are you going to do?

And cool beans, S&B. I have to warn you though, those first 200 pages are humdingers!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bakker
    How about, 'I'm the only one at this orgy...'
    It explains why writers get such chronic wrist-aches

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    Back when I was in high-school, I actually for to take some interesting reading classes to fill english credits. Fantasy Lit, and Sci-Fi Lit. The teachers picked the books and for the life of me I can't recall any save the Princess Bride. All the books read were short such as that one and light being that we were kids. But then I take Classic Lit and get dumbed on with The Great Gatsby, Little Women, Moby Dick. All terrible reads for a youth, but I remember them. Why? I think it was my instant aversion to them that pushed me forcibly back to Fantasy. At least there I could understand what was happening. It was something written, usually, during my lifetime.

I'm a comic-reading, fantasy loving Geek and I couldn't imaging being anything else. It's guys like me that helped establish the stigma I think. I wore glasses, was shunned by women and guys who read saw what I read and said "Damn, I don't wanna be like that guy" and so didn't get exposed to the fantasy I read (such as Shanara). That's a sad thing. They missed out and society gained a Stigma.

My daughter is now getting into Chapter books. I think this is great. She sees what books I read and does want to read them, but she is still too young to comprehend them. I will, however, always make them readily available to her. I will encourage her to read Fantasy. Not because I want her to be shunned by polite society. Quite the contrary. I want her to be in polite society and urge those curmugeons to read something 'out-of-bounds'.

I won't force the issue, of course. I want her to find Fantasy willingly. I want it to be something that she enjoys instead of is expected to do.

And Fitz, I've got you beat. I've got nearly 10,000 comics, a statue of Groo, A laser sculpture of Cerebus, and a miniture of Bone. I collect the oddballs.

At one time I had two cats. Ernie and Hope named after Evil Ernie and Lady Death. I grew out of that pahse though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spears&Buckler
    "What's that? For English class? NO? Then why the hell are you reading it? Because you feel like it? Forget that! Reading is for losers."
    At least my wife doesn
    I always have my nose buried in a book, and I get that all the time. Some people just can't comprehend reading for pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    Geek Stats:
    [list][*]....and a pure silver replica of THE ONE RING from Lord of the Rings.....
    Given the cult status of the films, I'd say that's not such a geeky thing anymore. I know tonnes of fan girls who have One Ring replicas.

Nothing to worry about BoP, they'll be squeegeeing your windshield soon enough...

I actually have a prediction. There's been a consistent correlation in the decline in reading rates among teenage males and the downward spiral in their academic performance. This performance gap is a serious, and worsening problem. Within a few years, women will more and more come to dominate high-end professions, so my prediction is...

Soon, there will scarce be anything sexier than a man reading a book.

You countin' on that, huh?

Aaaanyway, why read the book when you can see the movie adaption!!??

I'm with ya on that one! I just started your book today, Scott. So far, so good. I'm also impressed with the maps. Nothing like a good map to go along with a good story. Cheers.
    Hah, I just started as well, and if I hadn't read this post I would have been none the wiser on the map and glossary. They're at the back of the book. I used to check the back of the book all the time. Now all this stuff seems to be at the front of books and I stopped looking. Anyway, this thread is for the geeks so I'm outa here.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar

Unless the title of said book ends with... For Dummies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleronomas
    Hah, I just started as well, and if I hadn't read this post I would have been none the wiser on the map and glossary. They're at the back of the book. I used to check the back of the book all the time. Now all this stuff seems to be at the front of books and I stopped looking. Anyway, this thread is for the geeks so I'm outa here.
    Wicked burn! It made me laugh, though. I hear you about the maps in the back. I had to put a post-it note on the page for quick reference. How geeky is THAT?

I have the maps and glossary at www.princeofnothing.com, for those of you who despise flipping back and forth (I quite enjoy it myself). Print'em up!

I hope you enjoy the book Kleronomas - despite your unconscionable prejudice against us geeks!

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza
    Unless the title of said book ends with... For Dummies.
    Or it's the latest Harry Potter.

That only one at the orgy remark reminds me of the Love Tarp scene from this old show called Men Behaving Badly.

"Just once I wish someone would stay"