Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greetings

Hello Tari,

Quote Originally Posted by Tari
    Gilraen say's hi. my friend is sitting next to me right now laughing at me . . . . yet again *hangs head in shame*
    LOL Hello Gilraen!

Quote Originally Posted by Tari
    P.S. I love u're pic. care to elaborate for me plz?
    Elaborate? ROFL no, I am just strange
    But aren't we all?

BoA Manager
    What i meant Richard was is there a reason behind your picture or is it just something random that you liked?

Gilraen is here again but she's busy at the moment.

GILARAEN: Hi Tuttles! Greetings from Down Under. I'm Bored. Bye.

It's Human Biology this time. school has to be good for something. plus i've finished everything here anywayz.

~ Tari

A question?

Hi Richard

I see your involved in the ebook industry and I was wondering if a) Is the industry worried about piracy at all (file sharing etc.)? And b) have they taken any steps to stop it before it starts?

I'm sure there is lots they can/have learned from the music industry's blunders.

Craig

Digital Rights Management

Hi Craig,

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrent
    I see your involved in the ebook industry and I was wondering if a) Is the industry worried about piracy at all (file sharing etc.)? And b) have they taken any steps to stop it before it starts?
    Craig
    An interesting question. The ebook industry does not think as a unit. In fact, there is wide divergence on the subject of DRM (Digital Rights Management). Most ebook formats offer some type of DRM for those publishers who wish to utilize it, and most distributors require some type of encryption.

Whenever one deals with the distribution of intellectual property there is usually some concern regarding the safeguarding of the creator's rights, and ebooks are no different than other types of electronic data in that respect.

What one sees in the ebook industry right now is a number of different DRM schemes. It seems like every format has a different scheme, and they are constantly evolving, seeking the point where the author's rights are secure, but the customer is not hassled. In my opinion, none of them make the grade yet.

I think a DRM scheme should mimic a physical book as closely as possible, meaning you can give it away, lend it to a friend, etc. The format designers get closer each year, but they are not there yet. In the last eighteen months we have seen most formats offer a 'lending' option, which is great for getting ebooks into libraries, but that needs to be extended to individuals so you can lend an ebook to your friends without a hassle.

As far as actually using the DRM that is available, publishers are widely split about it. The major publishers usually insist upon the ebooks being fully protected, while smaller publishers will distribute with no protection at all. My ebooks are actually sold both ways, depending on the retailer that makes the sale.

I think in the end, it all rests on the honesty of the public. Anything that is encrypted can be hacked, so DRM really only works when the books are in the hands of honest people. Right now there are places on the web to download almost any book you want for free. People scan the text of a physical book and post it on the internet, much like how music is being distributed. It is a shame in a sense because I am not talking about someone sharing something they like with a friend. I am talking about distributing someone's work to the entire world for free. While this probably won't be felt much by a big name author, it will drive some lesser-known authors out of the business.

Protecting rights while not hassling the readers is a complex problem. There is no solid solution today, and it may be some time before there is, but most publishers are not going to sit around and wait for the solution. Ebook sales are experiencing fantastic growth. As more people begin to realize the advantages that ebooks have over print books, the revolution will unfold whether or not there is DRM in place.

Regards,
    Richard

Thanks Richard

A very interesting answer for an interesting question. I agree that lending a book to a friend is a very old tradition with us bookworms, heh, but it's definitely a different story when we can lend them to fifty thousand people at once.

I really hope it won't hurt the small authors too much, maybe a balance will be struck somewhere and all will work out (we can hope).

Best of luck to you and all the e-book authors in the future, I hope the good outweighs the bad.

Craig

BoA Manager
    I think this thread is dying. so i'm contempleting how to revive it.

thinking . . . . .thinking . . . . . blah . . . . . thinking. oh well i'm brain dead so i might as well just say hi.

ready wait for it.. . . . .ready? . . . . okay . . . . .HI!!!! **dramatic music** sorry i had to do it.

nah. hi to any1 who's reading. howz life going? wat you up 2?

~ Tari

Quote Originally Posted by tuttle
    As for the feel of a real book, nothing can beat it, and physical books will never go away. What we will find in the future, however, is that more and more of our reading will be done electronically, although not neccessarily on a computer. Currently the ebook industry is in its infancy. There is no one standard for the format of an ebook, handheld reading devices are too expensive, and most large publishers do not understand how to attack the market, but all of those problems are solvable.
    Most of my ebooks come out in "multiformat" so that they can be read on the majority of the readers (or on a computer screen at home). Like you I'm enchanted over the idea of stuffing that many books into one little pocket-sized device. Now readers can carry an entire library along with them wherever they go!

Eighteen books, huh. You put me on my mettle; I just turned in my thirteenth.

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrayne
    Most of my ebooks come out in "multiformat" so that they can be read on the majority of the readers (or on a computer screen at home). Like you I'm enchanted over the idea of stuffing that many books into one little pocket-sized device. Now readers can carry an entire library along with them wherever they go!

Eighteen books, huh. You put me on my mettle; I just turned in my thirteenth.
    Hi J.D.

Multiformat is a great option especially with Fictionwise. The problem is that most distributors demand DRM, so unless you are selling only on Fictionwise, you eventually end up getting involved in the whole DRM thing.

I am not really concerned with piracy as some are, but there are other problems with multiformat, too. When you create an ebook for a particular format, you can utilize all of the features that are offered for that format (think in terms of links to webpages, email, TOC's, maps, etc.) to make a better end product. My books usually carry descriptions and covers of all of my others book in the back material, and I have found that readers appreciate it.

As your books are sold both in multiformat and DRM, I would be curious to hear how you think DRM affects your sales.

Oh, btw, I am working on number twenty-two now, so get back to work
    <threatens to bring out the whip>

Unfortunately, I don't get a breakdown of sales numbers for multiformat and other modes, so I don't know what actual difference it makes. The publisher supports four or five different formats. It's sort of like the wars between the various video players in the 'Seventies, and I'll be very glad when/if some manufacturer strong-arms the others into accepting one single standard. I'm not worried about piracy either. In fact, I have fond hopes that a whole host of frat kids are sitting around with beer, pizza, and copies of my books on the monitor screens in the dorm. I hope they're having a whale of a good time.

I hadn't thought of putting links to my other books in the ebook files. That's a great idea, and I will mention it to my publisher!

Twenty-two books. No whip, no whip!! I guess I could try working on mine three at a time...

It is very much like the VHS/Betamax wars. Eventually there will be one standard, but I wish they would hurry up and decide.

Now that I think about it, "Greetings" sounds like those old notices from the draft board...

I just thought I'd drop by and add to the posting count on the thread.
    I have been working; mostly on snippets of dialog. Writing a sequel is a whole new ball game for me. I write novels in series, yes, but they're self-contained and are isolated from the prior and succeeding books in that the plot for one doesn't affect any of the others. (As long as I don't kill off anyone important, of course.) Having to consider continuity and narrative hooks is something new. It's an interesting challenge.