Hybrid View

Who I Think You Really Ought To Be Reading by MWStover

Okay, Matt, have at us...you promised us a list. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael
    Okay, Matt, have at us...you promised us a list. Go for it.

Quick-like, off the top of my head . . .

Josef Conrad
    Lord Jim
    Heart of Darkness
    Nostromo

Ernest Hemingway
    The Sun Also Rises
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    A Farewell To Arms
    The Snows of Kilimanjaro (Collected Stories)

Rudyard Kipling
    The Light That Failed
    Captains Courageous
    Collected Stories

Mark Twain
    Huckleberry Finn
    Life on the Mississippi
    The Mysterious Stranger
    A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Lev Tolstoy
    War and Peace
    "The Death of Ivan Ilych"

Homer
    The Iliad
    The Odyssey

Euripedes
    The Trojan Women
    The Bacchae

Aeschylus
    The Orestaia

Jean-Paul Sartre
    The Flies
    "The Wall"

William Shakespeare
    Collected Works, but especially
    The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark
    The Tragedy of King Lear
    King Henry IV (Parts 1 and 2)
    The History of Troilus and Cressida
    The Tragedy of Macbeth

Christopher Marlowe
    Doctor Faustus

I guess that'll do for a start. Many of the above are actually in-genre, too.

No female writers whatsoever. I read alot (obviously) and a lot of classics too, and I try and get a gender balance. Having tried and failed to get interested in Hemmingway and Conrad, it is likely that I will not read quite a lot on this list. And surely Marlowe should be enjoyed on stage?
    But back to my original point. No female writers. Any chance of adding some to your list?

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    And I bet none are black or gay either!!! BURN HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leiali, if asked to make any list of favourites, should you be honest and state your faves or try and go for gender balance? Gender balance for the sake of a PC list seems pointless.

Sorry if I read too much into your post, the Internet is priceless for 'wrong-end of stick' grabbing.

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza
    And I bet none are black or gay either!!! BURN HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leiali, if asked to make any list of favourites, should you be honest and state your faves or try and go for gender balance? Gender balance for the sake of a PC list seems pointless.

Sorry if I read too much into your post, the Internet is priceless for 'wrong-end of stick' grabbing.

I take your points Glelas and Juzzza and I must confess I am instinctively PC. My issues were since women are half the population, a representative voice would be nice. And when I meant gender balance, I meant 'don't you have any female writers you like off the top of your head?' Not please satisfy my sense of PC ness. Although I appreciate that this is his list, and he can write what he likes, surely interactive feedback would keep this thread on its toes? I figured one obvious problem for me. And said it.

PS - Marlowe was gay
    PPS - Remember that sort of row we had about machismo Juzzza? I think this thread ties in with that for me, I personally found Hemmingway and Conrad difficult to get into because I found the writing dry and too masculine for me to have any real commitment to the reading. I won't even get started on Henry Miller. Again, part of the reason why I brought it up was to explore that....I forgot to add to that the fact that I really like Caine, which could be considered contradictory to the point I was trying to make.
    Last edited by Leiali; January 19th, 2005 at 08:55 AM.

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Leiali - This is Matt Stover's forum. What did you expect? Christopher Isherwood, Sylvia Plath and Evelyn Waugh? I think you have the wrong author for that. Here you get no-nonsense, hard talking, machismo. He's 'the bear', remember? Though I really do believe there is another side to MWS that maybe he will confess to one day. I don't think you can be a superb author and not be intuitive and sensitive, though that persona may not suit his image.

Quote Originally Posted by Leiali
    No female writers whatsoever. I read alot (obviously) and a lot of classics too, and I try and get a gender balance.
    It is a thread for HIS preferences not yours.
    If I am not mistaken none of those authors on the list were black-irish jews either, I don't see the black-irish jewish people complaining.

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    I was exhausted just reading the list. It looks like a reading list for a degree in literature (look, I said the dirty 'L' word in an sf forum).

My library has a habit of throwing out old books. I had to go and wrestle one of Andre Norton's early books out of the back room and I wouldn't give it back until they promised to tape it up and put it back on the shelves... I tried to tell them it was a classic. Perhaps I'm not quite in tune with the meaning of 'classic'.