Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    True, it will probably be my first amazon.co.uk purchase.

Uh, Moderator
    I'm guessing we're talking about Scott here?

Matt - you only listed the Earthsea trilogy. Are you one of the purists who sticks away from the later two books (Tehanu and The Other Wind)?

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just saw the most recent answers to "Questions for MWStover" - any chance of a 'What comics/graphic novels you ought to be reading' list?

IF I ever get through training, I might start tackling that list. As it stands I've read 5 of the general and 10 in-genre. And I, too, will be ordering Scott Lynch's book when it gets published. He sure can write....

Quote Originally Posted by Eventine
    I'm guessing we're talking about Scott here?

Matt - you only listed the Earthsea trilogy. Are you one of the purists who sticks away from the later two books (Tehanu and The Other Wind)?
    Haven't read 'em, that's all.

And yes, we're talking about Scott. That boy's a friggin' genius.

Could you tell us more about 'Scott'? Never heard of him, and I've heard of everyone else on your lists (not read them all yet though!)...This reminds me of when I first asked about Caine on this forum and Shehzad said YOU MUST READ IT..or something else as subtle. Anyway, I was also wondering about Larry Niven's Ringworld. I read Sci Fi intermittently, but not in great depth, and this is one I have never really heard anything about.
    I had a copy of the Mabinogian a while ago, but I gave it to a welsh man. Will have to ask to borrow it again as I can't remember it all that well - except for a cauldron and some serious geneology...

Thanks for the inclusion of female writers and some shakesperian comedies there. Do you read much contemporary fiction? Stuff like 'The life of Pi' or 'Brick Lane' or Ian Mckewan etc? My selection is very British sorry, but I just wondered where it stopped with you? I try and pick up the odd contemporary novel when I can but I usually never get round to reading it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leiali
    I had a copy of the Mabinogian a while ago, but I gave it to a welsh man.
    Shouldn't that work the other way?

Quote Originally Posted by Leiali
    Could you tell us more about 'Scott'? Never heard of him, and I've heard of everyone else on your lists (not read them all yet though!)...This reminds me of when I first asked about Caine on this forum and Shehzad said YOU MUST READ IT..or something else as subtle. Anyway, I was also wondering about Larry Niven's Ringworld. I read Sci Fi intermittently, but not in great depth, and this is one I have never really heard anything about.
    Scott Lynch is one of the regulars over at the Dead Cities board, and the quality of his writing, be it posts or excerpts of short stories or essays or even rants, is uniformly brilliant. His first novel, The Lies of Locke Lamorra is due out soon, the exact details of which Matt & Fitz know better. Suffice it to say that if it lives up to the general quality of his writing, it will be brilliant. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it, again, IF I ever get through the basics of what I need to study for work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kater
    Shouldn't that work the other way?
    No, the Welsh man was clever and "tight" why buy a book when you can get some nice person to give it you

Matt, I've recently stumbled upon Avram Davidson, and have liked what I've read so far. From what I can gather he is held in high esteem by writers within the genre, a writers' writer. How do you rate him and would you add him to any essential genre reading list?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook
    No, the Welsh man was clever and "tight" why buy a book when you can get some nice person to give it you
    A Welsh man who doesn't know the Mabinogion should be hit with the book

Scott Lynch? I saw someone say that they were going to get the book off Amazon.co.uk - any ideas on release date?

Quote Originally Posted by kater
    Scott Lynch? I saw someone say that they were going to get the book off Amazon.co.uk - any ideas on release date?
    He has to finish the bloody thing first.

Scott's so friggin' good he sold four books before he even finished his first.

Seriously.

He's that good.

Avram Davidson is a swell writer of lovely prose. I'm not overly enamored of the way he constructed his stories, and none of them have really stuck in my memory. I seem to recall that I liked his short-shorts the best.

For comics/graphic novels --

pick up anything written by

Frank Miller
    Alan Moore
    Grant Morrison
    Mike Baron (well, except for The Flash, maybe)
    John Ostrander
    Matt Wagner

You have to remember that I quit collecting comics around 1992, so I'm not too hip on the current guys.

Oh, and for the books list?

How could I forget

Michael Moorcock
    -- everything Elric, and --
    The Chronicles of Jerry Cornelius
    Behold the Man
    Gloriana

And, in a nod to well-constructed, competently-written Quest Fantasy with skillfully-done archetypal characters --

David Eddings
    The Belgariad
    (You can skip the interminably repetitive sequels . . .)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MWStover
    He has to finish the bloody thing first.

Scott's so friggin' good he sold four books before he even finished his first.

Seriously.

He's that good.
    Easy Big Bear - I've never heard of him and only wanted some information

Quote Originally Posted by MWStover
    For comics/graphic novels --

pick up anything written by

Frank Miller
    Alan Moore
    Grant Morrison
    Mike Baron (well, except for The Flash, maybe)
    John Ostrander
    Matt Wagner

You have to remember that I quit collecting comics around 1992, so I'm not too hip on the current guys.

Oh, and for the books list?
    One VERY overlooked apocalyptic piece by Miller with art by Dave Gibbons is the first Martha Washington minseries.

Thankfully for The Flash Mark Waid eventually got his hands on the book.

Cheers all, will keep an eye out for Scott Lynch. And please, the welshman hadn't got round to the Mabinogian yet, I was just doing him a favour bless him!
    I loved 'Behold the Man'. I have to be a philistine and say I did not get Elric at all, but this was something else..good choice Mr Stover.(I think being British I have to be formal, but if you don't mind, as I feel a bit of an idiot otherwise I'll call you Matt in the future....)