Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy: Extras

Ok, my new favourite thing, is watching all of the extra documentaries on making the incredible Lord of the Rings movies... Fascinating stuff!!! So far I have watched them all on the Return of the King, special extended edition and now I have moved on to the 'book to vision, vision to screen' specials on the Fellowship extended edition.

I thought this would be a good place for hardcore fans to post their fave anecdotes from the documentaries or facts and figures they found amazing.

Me first...

Jackson and Bean recall how after a harrowing helicopter ride, Sean Bean refused to take any more helicopter rides to location shoots. He said to Jackson that he would rather set out the night before on foot and climb, swim or run to the set, that step foot in another helicopter.

Unfortunately for Bean, another location came up that required a helicopter ride. He refused and had to climb up the mountain each day and the cast and Jackson recalled how they would look down from the helicopter each morning to see (in full Boromir wardrobe) Bean climbing up the mountain!!!

Class.

Blog Entries
    There is a bit on one of the RotK extended extra DVD's about the last shot.
    Elijah does it well, but Jackson keeps asking for just another take......after a while, everyone realizes what's going on.....he just can't face wrapping the final shot.
    So Elijah just keeps on......until finally, with what look like tears brimming, Jackson announces the end of the shoot.

That moment touched me greatly. I have long realized this film shoot was more than just an ordinary one.......but for some reason, that moment captured the reality of their 18-month-long community really intensely.

YES I love that part!!!

I also found the New Zealand crew's Haka for Viggo, after his last shot very moving. They saved a special Haka usually only used for royalty for the King.

Brilliant.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    There's SO many awesome moments, in the Extras from all three Extended Editions...

It pains me that so many people I know, even RABID fans of the LOTR Trilogy, don't own these discs and haven't watched the extras. I showed my friend about 5 minutes of the Aragorn vs. Sauron feature and he was like "Whoa, that was pretty neat. That's the first I've seen of any of this"...I wanted to shake him and tell him "It's worth it! You're a huge fan of the films and the books, WATCH the extras, they're great!"

I love all the moments with Billy Boyd (Pippin) and Dom Monaghan (Merry), their sense of humor is hilarious... talking about Pippin's helmet...pippin kissing aragorn...peter jackson swinging around the witch king's mace...the rohan documentary, where actors like faramir are trying to 'ride' the fake horse barrels...these are just some of the great moments I watched tonight. But I know there were so many more, and just on ROTK. In time, I'll probably re-watch all the extras from Film ONE and Film TWO...

What I love is that Peter Jackson is apparently a huge fan of the DVD medium, and approached these discs as a DVD fan and a LOTR fan, wanting to present the best possible collector's package... and he did it! From the look (the DVDs look like hardcover books, in rich colours), to the array of features, no fan could ask for much more.

Blog Entries
    We received a deck of playing cards with some of the Alan lee portraits along with the extended DVD set. I wish they had included some of the Rohan characters, but other than that strange oversight the deck is a wonderful keepsake.

The Maori Haka was stirring, wasn't it? What an unforgettable honor for Viggo and Bernard.

I've just started watching the extras on the extended Return of the King. I didn't watch the others because I thought that it would somehow ruin the movie. I didn't want to know about blue screens and green screens and how they built sets and what was real and what was CGI.

I was sure wrong about that. The extras add to the experience, especially the Book to Script part. These people had immense respect for the source material, and it really shows.

What an accomplishment.

I agree with Pam, the extras has stirred my interest again and I have watched through all three of the extended movie with more awe, respect and passion than ever.

This isn't in the extras per se, but it is an added scene, which made me laugh.

In Lothlorien, after the gifts are handed out Legolas has some of the Elvish bread and smiling, he says to Merry and Pippin "Just one bite can fill the stomach of a grown man." or something along those lines. He leaves the scene and Merry says to Pippin, "How many did you eat?"

"Four," replies Pippin and then breaks wind!!!

I can see why they took it out but I loved it!!!

juzzza, is that on the EE of Fellowship? I think I remember him eating 4 but not the breaking wind part. Too funny!

I need to figure out how to access the Easter Eggs -- I haven't been able to find any of them, on any of the disks.

Probably my favourite extended scene was the part where Eowyn was fighting on foot.

What did you guys think of the Saruman part from Rotk? fell flat a bit for me.

I was okay with Saruman's extra scene. I never knew him as anything but a bad guy, but Gandalf did, and the expression on his when Saruman fell from the tower said a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntiePam
    I was okay with Saruman's extra scene. I never knew him as anything but a bad guy, but Gandalf did, and the expression on his when Saruman fell from the tower said a lot.
    Except there's no good reason why Saruman has to die, as he doesn't in the book.

Didn't Grima kill him on the road to or from the Shire? I've only read the books once, so maybe I'm mis-remembering.

From ROTK, The Scouring Of The Shire:
    "suddenly Wormtongue rose up, drawing a hidden knife, and then with a snarl like a dog he sprang on Saruman's back, jerked his head back, cut his throat, and with a yell ran off down the lane."
    Then a Saruman turns into mist and sort of just dissipates, which would be kind of anticlimatic for a movie. I thought it was weird they never dealt with Saruman's fate in the short version, glad they included it on the DVD.

I spent the whole of monday at home watching the extras and the film for ROTK. No point remembering my favourite bits as you all have done so, but it was pretty amazing stuff. Loved it! What will we all do next christmas?!

Quote Originally Posted by Leiali
    I spent the whole of monday at home watching the extras and the film for ROTK. No point remembering my favourite bits as you all have done so, but it was pretty amazing stuff. Loved it! What will we all do next christmas?!
    Hopefully, before then, the Hobbit will finally be announced, so we'll have something on the horizon to look forward to. At least for me, there is the LOTR Museum Exhibit that will open in Indianapolis next Fall, only perhaps 20 minutes away. I feel like this whole 5-year LOTR journey has been a little bit of a dream (just as Frodo felt when coming back to the Shire).