Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Are you being your silly self, Kev?

I listen when I edit too. I listen to music just about 24/7 since I don't sleep very much.

Same music to edit by as to write by. I set my ipod on random, and since I know I love every song in my 2000 some odd song library, I'm content with just about any one. Once in a while, I'll skip to a different one. And once in a rarer while, I'll just listen to the entire catalogue of a particular artist (the entire catalogue that I've chosen to download, that is).

Why do I read? That's like asking me why I breathe.

Born and raised among books, a wall to wall from floor to ceilling bookcase filled with the written word, reading and writing is essential to me.
    I read every style, every author.
    So, in my travels through cyberspace I stumbled upon this "Kevin Radthorne" character who makes gorgeous computer art....and writes books. Well now,....now you do have my full and undivided attention.

Greetz from Pommerlis.

I didn't do it! Fantasyeatergal's Avatar
    Québec, Canada (yes, I'm a french speaker, so you guys be nice when I'm not grammatically correct)
    Once upon a time, in my teen years (alright, not that long ago), I was not that big a reader. Until one day I went to a book fair, and talk with to an author, Yves Meynard. He asked me about what I liked to read, and I responded I didn't read a lot (read not at all). The man talked with me for about 20 minutes, not about his books, but about fantasy and reading in general. Two days later, I bought his latest book, Le Livre des Chevaliers. The story is nothing extraordinary, a traditional initiative quest, although there are some interesting original ideas, but it sucked me in. Since then, I’m addicted. When I’m not in a rush in my study, I read about a novel a week, raise that at 2 novels a week on summer (God bless public libraries!).

I love to read. It makes me forget about anything stressful. Some times, it makes me feel angry, sad or even frightened, but always in a good way, for every novel I read is a unique experience. Even the boring ones have a place in my pantheon, because they induce criticism. I’d add that I also love books, the objects. I know it sounds funny, but it’s still true…

Hello, Pom and fantasyeatergal!

My house too is overflowing with books - we have bookcases everywhere (makes it easy to decide on wall colors - doesn't matter, since they're all covered up by books!). And many of the table surfaces seem to sprout piles of books like weeds. But they're weeds we love, and we seem to 'water' them regularly by adding more books to them. My wife and I just got back from a quick out of town trip to Portland, Oregon where one of the largest bookstores in the country resides, Powell's. Four floors of books! Needless to say, I came back with too many. The floorboards of the house are groaning...

Fantasyeatergal, your sentiments about the physical book itself are what leads me to believe that e-reader devices will have a tough time penetrating the market. Aside from the pleasure people have in turning an actual page, we also like to 'see' our books around us. They provide a sort of weird comfort that non-readers don't grasp. If all I had was just another little electronic device sitting with my iPod and my cell phone, the house would seem far less warm and inviting...

I didn't do it! Fantasyeatergal's Avatar
    Québec, Canada (yes, I'm a french speaker, so you guys be nice when I'm not grammatically correct)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radthorne View Post
    My wife and I just got back from a quick out of town trip to Portland, Oregon where one of the largest bookstores in the country resides, Powell's. Four floors of books! Needless to say, I came back with too many. The floorboards of the house are groaning...
    That seems all too familiar to me! Last summer, between two semesters, I went back to my hometown. (I had found a financially worthwhile job there. God knows us students need the money!) I don’t know what happened to me then, but without me realising it I was buying/reading an average of 3 books a week! I’ll let you imagine what my luggage looked like when I came back after 3 months… Poor heartbroken me had to leave half of those beloved little things behind.