Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Painted Man movie - how much will it suck?

I really enjoyed The Painted Man and The Desert Spear, and like most fans, I'm eagerly awaiting the last book. But, I must say, I'm not impressed with the author over allowing Paul W.S Anderson to handle the film adaptation. The man makes ATROCIOUS movies; such as: Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 , DOA: Dead or Alive, and Death Race 1 and 2

What kind of author would allow his work to be undoubtedly raped by such a horrible film-maker?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoki View Post
    I really enjoyed The Painted Man and The Desert Spear, and like most fans, I'm eagerly awaiting the last book. But, I must say, I'm not impressed with the author over allowing Paul W.S Anderson to handle the film adaptation. The man makes ATROCIOUS movies; such as: Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 , DOA: Dead or Alive, and Death Race 1 and 2

What kind of author would allow his work to be undoubtedly raped by such a horrible film-maker?
    I agree completely. I don't understand how his movies make as much money as they do, because they are almost all laughably bad. I haven't read the books yet, but I look forward to starting them, but I do not look forward to the movie.

By the way, the next book (The Daylight War) isn't the last in the series. Peter V. Brett says that it will be a five-book series. He sold three books to the publisher initially, but now is signed for a full five books.

wow. this really pisses me off. you rarely see good fantasy books become film adaptations and now they're handing this off to this ****ing guy? of all the directors in the world? what a joke. the mortal kombat films are probably his best work....that says a lot about him.

Quote Originally Posted by afireinside30x View Post
    but now is signed for a full five books.

Oh, cool. I didn't know that, obviously.

I'm not impressed with the author over allowing Paul W.S Anderson to handle the film adaptation.
    Not the author's choice. The film rights were sold to a studio or rights-holding company, and they got Anderson and his production partner involved.

That said, an author's viewpoint of, "Oh, I'm only going to let this be adapted by a really good director," also usually goes out of the window when they are offered enough money to never have to work again

Sounds like it'll be an improvement on the book.

Am I really the only person who didn't mind the first three Resident Evil films? Also, aren't there only four currently out, so how you can claim Resident Evil 5 is "atrocious"? Anyway, Alien vs Predator wasn't too bad.

I've not read the books, so I can't say if they'll work or not, but having a little faith won't go amiss. At least it's not Uwe Boll, right?

Not the author's choice. The film rights were sold to a studio or rights-holding company, and they got Anderson and his production partner involved
    Oh, okay. I was under the impression that he was approached by Anderson, going on some of the things Anderson has said.

Am I really the only person who didn't mind the first three Resident Evil films? Also, aren't there only four currently out, so how you can claim Resident Evil 5 is "atrocious"? Anyway, Alien vs Predator wasn't too bad
    I think its safe to say that number 5 will suck based on the first 4. All of his movies have one thing in common - they're made for the lowest common denominator. He's not as bad as Michael Bay, of course

Michael BLAM-BLAM EXPLOSION BLAM Bay!

Oh, Robot Chicken, how you made me giggle with that sketch...

The Painted Man is next on my to read list but this can't be good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoki View Post

This is a movie I will most certainly not be watching. I absolutely loved The Painted Man. I absolutely despised The Desert Spear. As for the director that is a bummer. You really need solid directing to adapt fantasy to the big screen. All that being said I hope it does well. The more exposure fantasy gets the better.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    This is a movie I will most certainly not be watching. I absolutely loved The Painted Man. I absolutely despised The Desert Spear. As for the director that is a bummer. You really need solid directing to adapt fantasy to the big screen. All that being said I hope it does well. The more exposure fantasy gets the better.
    not sure a horrible movie really is the kind of exposure that warrants 'better'. it just further propagates the commonly held belief that any fantasy not called lord of the rings sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    not sure a horrible movie really is the kind of exposure that warrants 'better'. it just further propagates the commonly held belief that any fantasy not called lord of the rings sucks.
    Good point. Still I hope it does well. Would rather root for it than against. I really liked the first book.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilKing View Post
    Sounds like it'll be an improvement on the book.
    Anything will be an improvement on the book, really. I thought it was terrible. I mean, can you make crap crappier? If nothing else, at least there will be some cool special effects or something.

Oh, okay. I was under the impression that he was approached by Anderson, going on some of the things Anderson has said.
    Checking Wikipedia, it appears that Anderson was alerted to the project by an intermediate 'producer'. That usually means that a rights-holding intermediary has bought the rights for a significant sum, and then taken it to a contact to see what they think. It's at that point that Anderson read the book, got excited etc. That's also how he got to see the book before it came out, as the publisher likely sent the ARC to a few producers, the intermediary saw it and took it to him etc.

The same thing has happened with Wheel of Time. A rights-holding company - Red Eagle - was formed to basically buy the movie rights from Robert Jordan and then pass them on at a profit to another studio, in this case Universal, whilst retaining a producer credit which means they get a slice of any profit the movie makes.

The other thing to note is that usually these movies don't get made. Richard Morgan and Scott Lynch made a lot of money from selling the film rights to Altered Carbon and The Lies of Locke Lamora, despite the fact that no movie has appeared in the intervening 10 years (for Carbon) and 5 years (for Lamora). They made vastly more money from selling the film rights than actually publishing their books.