I'm not good with plants or times........

I am not good about how strong or what plants supplies during what times of years, I know some good research would help like I think I should do before I start writing, but do you think and arrow could penetrate an oak tree?

I'm not sure I can help much, but I'm pretty sure oak trees go through something called a 'dry season' what time of year it is I don't know.. but arrows can penetrate trees in the movies ... If I remember right some friends of mine talk about stuff like that when they go hunting with a bow. Maybe it is possible. I think some research is in need here, I wish I could help!

Those new steel-tipped heavy duty, industry made arrows will... not sure about the wooden ones though. The arrowhead will penetrate, I am just not sure if the rest of the arrow would crack or shatter from impact. Either way, I don't think it is something any readers will care about, it's too minor of a detail.

The question raises more questions.

What type of bow? Recurve, composite, stave?

What type of arrow? Wooden, aluminum, handcrafted?

What material of arrow-head? Stone, brass, steel, bone etc..?

What style of arrow head? (And from what Age?) Target, hunting, etc..

In my experience -

An aluminum arrow tipped with any arrowhead will penetrate a wet or dry oak at least deep enough for the tip to become well and truly stuck. I have ruined many arrows/tips by trying to extract them from trees (says a lot for my archery skill eh?). This happens with any type of bow I have used, although even the replica stave bows I've toyed with were made of rather modern design.

Wooden factory-made arrows will penetrate a tree when released from a composite or recurve bow, provided you aren't an obscene distance from the target. The stave-type bow I used did not provide the velocity to penetrate deeply enough for the arrow to stick in the tree from roughly the same distance as the other bows. The more arrow-dynamic (no pun intended) target heads penetrated deeper than did the hunting tips I used (same for the aluminum arrows). That being said, almost every wooden arrow that did stick in the tree was damaged. Usually just a crack running 1-2 inches along the shaft starting from where the arrowhead screws into the shaft. Once or twice the wooden arrow "shattered" on impact - the arrowhead stopped too fast for the wooden shaft to withstand the impact - when the shaft collided with the head, it split down the shaft and continued forward, resulting in a splayed out pattern - imagine the head of the arrow embedded a finger length inside a mushroomed shaft.

I didn't have much luck with my home made arrows . Generally they didn't fly straight, far, or fast enough to penetrate a target dummy, let alone solid oak. I can say that when they whip side-to-side upon release they make an interesting whistle sound. When they collide lengthwise with a tree, the shaft snaps as would any twig.

I am by no means an expert but these are the very unscientific test samples I can offer.

DRW

drw, I think you ARE the expert as far as this site is concerned... I am not greatly experienced with bows (used them, like rifles more, done a lot of testing with throwing axes and throwing knives).