Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hmm... I've been waiting to use that profession in a story. The actual lighthouse is said to be haunted as well, but by an old lightkeeper. I've thought of this idea but I'm not too excited about it only because that's the expected ghost to be there. You think lighthouse you think dead lightkeeper ghost lol. But the shipwrecks could explain the ghosts of the two little girls. I haven't figured out why the one is evil yet, I just know that I want her to be on the bad side too. Make Ally's situation that much more horrifying I guess. As far as the main ghost, if he was also involved in a shipwreck, why would he be so angry? Does he take it out on the island for his boat being wrecked and his death? Maybe the town wanted him to make a late night trip that wasn't so neccessary and he wrecked. Captains are usually fond of their boats in a weird way. But then again, that doesn't give the ghost that much of a 'scary' background. Course, I'm not sure he even needs to have a scary background. ~shrugs~ My drawing board is slowly working it's way back up again

Back again ... Let's say that this man is of some importance to the town, maybe he transports medications or something. One night he gets a call and there is a deathly ill child in town and they've run out of antibiotics or something. He's called over in the middle of the night and takes his daughters along with him. The waters were getting rough and his boat was thrown around until finally crashing against the rocks of the island. The next morning when a search party was sent because of his failure to arrive, they found few scattered pieces of the boat and the body of his youngest daughter. His body and his first born daughter's body are yet to be found along with the rest of the remains of his boat. This would explain why they're spirits are not at rest at least...
    That's my start on a background for this evil spirit character.

How does this sound?

The ghosts of the two girls are the malicious spirits. They're bored and want someone to play with. They might not even know they're dead, just very clever at hiding. One of them has even tried tampering with the light, so a ship will run aground and they'd get someone to play with them. The spirit of the keeper catches them at it and chases them off. He might spend the whole night up there, keeping watch for the girls.

Of course, not knowing that and seeing/hearing the keeper chasing the two girls might make someone think he's the evil one.

It might be because of them he resents any intrusion around the lense now - but it might be that Ally reminds him of someone from his former life. He might grudgingly allow her up there... something the girls hope to exploit.

That could work. I like that the girls don't know that they are dead. And even though the lightkeeper is just a calm spirit keeping watch he could recognize her. That could help with my idea of her feeling she is in a prison. Maybe the ghost only wants her to be there and anyone coming to take her away or coming to intrude on him makes him angry? Hmm... how to explain my prologue then lol. Maybe the ghost killed the lightkeeper in my prologue because that guy murdered the ghost(when he was alive) to take his home and place as lightkeeper? Did I just confuse anyone lol? OOO and ideas are flowing with the two little girls lol!
    Last edited by Jay232; January 31st, 2005 at 07:37 PM.

The two girls came with a lifeboat but died of the cold on the island before the keeper could summon help. Then the spirit of the girls playing one of their pranks killed the keeper. Now his spirit tries to make sure they don't kill anyone else.

I imagine the light's been retired if the're selling the tower - but it may be the girls are hoping to fool someone by turning on the light again, then turning it off when they've come to the wrong course.

I think they're all lonely - the keeper and the girls would first welcome her but then the girls get bored again. The Keeper might be torn, wanting to protect her and at the same time guard the light.

Of course, he might be reluctant to show himself to Ally so what happens is doors fly open suddenly. She might even pick up on his anger but not realize its being directed at the girls, not herself.
    Last edited by Expendable; January 31st, 2005 at 07:48 PM.

If I were to write that the little girl's prank killed the keeper I would have to change my whole prologue. I think it's too violent to post in the community but I wish you could read it But I like that they play with the lights and I like how they were killed.
    I hope you're not getting annoyed with me just yet. My story has come so far since I started this post. I'm just stubborn

Why would I get annoyed? Its your story, do what you want. Oh, I edited my last post, take a look again.

Maybe what happened is the ghost of the keeper came to warn his replacement that the girls had done something - and gave the guy a heart attack. That might be why he's reluctant to appear in front of her.

If the girls had done something to the light and the ghost of the keeper came to warn his replacement and stormed suddenly into the room in front of him, the living keeper might have keeled over from a heart attack seeing the dead spirit of the old keeper there. Especially if the ghost looked incredibly angry.

An accident, but there would always be the story of the killer ghost.

I love that the doors fly open too. Is there a way that I could email the prologue? I've also thought that maybe the last lightkeeper could have gone insane from the first lightkeepers acts. Such as like you said doors flying open and things. Even though they were directed at the girls, the lightkeeper didn't see that and had gone insane believing that this ghost wanted to take over his mind. Therefore, he killed his friend who had told him that he was crazy for believing that his mind was being controlled, and killed himself believing that his mind was under the power of an evil spirit that really truely wasn't there. Maybe the spirit of this insane ghost is also fighting with the 'nice' ghost? Or maybe the spirit of the insane ghost isn't even there... but just a thought. Thanks for all of your help, I hope you keep giving me insights. I'm still new with developing good plots with no real big questions left over.

You're welcome ^__^

--Ex.

lol, the spirit of the dead keeper storms into the room, his replacement stares up at him wide-eyed and falls back in his chair.

"Jey-sus!" the keeper roared after a long moment, rising to his feet. "Shamus, you'd just about frighten me to death doin' that! Bloody cheek, tell'n me you's dead an' all."

Shamus stared blankly back at him, then at the keeper's feet. He looked down. He was standing with his feet vanishing into someone's stomach. His stomach. Turning, the keeper lurched back staring at the horrible contortion his face had twisted into when he died. Morbid fascination made him peer closely at his former body.

"Jey-sus, you did kill me," he breathed softly. Behind him, the girls giggled.

"Shamus, who was that...?" he began, glancing back. Something tugged at him, pulling him up. It was then he noticed the light, a tunnel streaming somehow through the roof....

hehehe sowwie, just my imagination having fun.
    --Ex.
    Last edited by Expendable; February 1st, 2005 at 11:16 AM.

LoL! That actually was very good. I wish I could write like that, but I stay to simple basics for now. Maybe you should write this story j/k.
    BTW I sent my prologue. I had to go through my hotmail though I couldn't just click on the link. I hope it's at least somewhat good for a rookie's work.
    *J*
    Last edited by Jay232; January 31st, 2005 at 11:35 PM.

Can't. You already wrote the prologue

You're so stuck with it now! hehehehe

--Ex.

I see how it is.. gee thanx
    This story is actually my first story that I'm passionate about since my first novel. So I do want to write it and I want to write it good. I want the story OF it to be something that people would want to see as a movie, not just read as a book.
    But like I said, I wish I could write as good as you

Don't wish. Do it better.

Write!