Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playstation 3

Man for my money the damn graphics are good enough, I wish they'd work with what they've got for longer than they do nowadays. They still seem to be innovating plenty on the current platforms, and seriously part of the big problem with video games nowadays is too much focus on graphics, not enough on gameplay. Throwing out new platforms and forcing programmers to learn to swim with new hardware every few years seems to me to be LESSENING the chance of the kind of golden age we had when the Super Nintendo ruled all.

Edit: boo-urns to FF. Square is running out of ideas and they can't bang out a soundtrack like they used to. I'd rather play other rpgs like the Suikoden series.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I dunno its tough, most consoles get four to five years before being replaced which isn't bad going I think. The trouble is the rush to get games out there to feed the market, there really are too many firms that push through crap which brings the overall level of quality down. Games really has become a mass market and like the movies experienced, there is really now a pressure to make a buck first and fun comes a distant second. I saw the Sega Sonic collection today and man that took me back, I remember getting the first one and it was awesome. Then it went 3-D and I lost all interest. Hopefully the Cell will be the final innovation in chip design for a good few years and we can look forward to some good second and third-gen releases. It will be interesting to see what Ninty do with Revolution, it could be wild.

Strange, it wasn't until the N64 came out that I became really interested in games, the change from 2D to 3D was huge, although I always loved the likes of Duck Hunt, Street Fighter, and Super Mario on the NES.

Regarding future gaming, I hear Virtual Reality programmes are going to dominate in the next 20 years, how true or not it is I don't know.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar

Here she is. 10 times faster than current PC processors. The developers say it is a super computer on a chip!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monty_mike
    Regarding future gaming, I hear Virtual Reality programmes are going to dominate in the next 20 years, how true or not it is I don't know.
    Virtual Reality 'dominating' has been a concept for years, there were a slew of films in the early 90's like Tron, Lawnmower Man, Virtuosity etc which convinced people this was the next step (The Matrix did nothing to harm the idea) and it may well be at some indefinite point in the future but what I think is the problem is there are currently serious costs involved which prevent mass production. I've seen a few cluncky headsets around but nothing to really convince that its either imminent or likely to get a stranglehold on gaming. Can you imagine coming home from a night out and trying to play a VR game? I'd be ill, ill, ill

Quote Originally Posted by kater
    Virtual Reality 'dominating' has been a concept for years, there were a slew of films in the early 90's like Tron,
    Tron was from the 80's heh, its still sweet though.

I thought they gave up on VR and were focusing on body stimulants or somthing , I heard that anyway, probably false info.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrent
    Tron was from the 80's heh, its still sweet though.
    Man that was the 80's? That makes me feel old
    Can you imagine the furore in conservative papers if games companies started introducing stimulants into gameplay?

There's an old saying in computer hardware that the momenet you buy the newest state of the art hardware, it's already out of date.
    Especially when you compare the commercial market to the corporate market.

The "new" hardware we are promised and sold, has been used by corporate clients for years before it hits the shelves for every Joe Bloggs to get his hands on.

What we are seeing are always are always going to be essentially industrial hand-me-downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs
    There's an old saying in computer hardware that the momenet you buy the newest state of the art hardware, it's already out of date.
    Especially when you compare the commercial market to the corporate market.

The "new" hardware we are promised and sold, has been used by corporate clients for years before it hits the shelves for every Joe Bloggs to get his hands on.

What we are seeing are always are always going to be essentially industrial hand-me-downs.
    Yeah, and the market has us trained to buy the stuff anyway, even if we know it'll be out of date in a matter of months.

http://www.psxextreme.com/scripts/ps3-news/news.asp

i get update letter from psxextreme.....its good reliable news on all PS items. fromt he PSP to the PS3.

Lord of Wallumbilla Gregorius_H's Avatar
    Hmmm... I'm beginning to feel the hype flow through me... trying to ignore it... can't... hold... back...

Mewahaaaaa! Cojackackackacka!! Jugbugawukawuk!

Need to buy...play...sta....

Woops. Back in control folks. Sorry about that temporary out burst. Mental processes shall return to normal shortly.

BLARGO!

Hmm, yes.

Anyway, I'm most interested to see what the cell processor is actually going to be capable of graphics wise, but I just hope to god that it means some more innovations in gaming. I mean, I'm getting sick of strategy, shooters, stealth adventures, and beat-em-ups. Why can't we have some...... chicken dancing simulations?

It is hard to be original... who would have thought?

i had read a review of this one game that is going to be on the PS3...it is also being released on PC. it look incredible. everything in the game can be interacted with. they showed this one scene where the character is facing a table which has on it swords axes shields and a bowl of fruit some water and a napkin....and you can eat some fruit have a drink and wipe your mouth withte napkin, then pick up a sword and kick some butt.....however i do not remember the name of the game, i will have to look trough my magazines and hopefully i will find it

Quote Originally Posted by Cwass
    i had read a review of this one game that is going to be on the PS3...it is also being released on PC. it look incredible. everything in the game can be interacted with. they showed this one scene where the character is facing a table which has on it swords axes shields and a bowl of fruit some water and a napkin....and you can eat some fruit have a drink and wipe your mouth withte napkin, then pick up a sword and kick some butt.....however i do not remember the name of the game, i will have to look trough my magazines and hopefully i will find it
    wow, sounds amazing. What magazines do you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cwass
    they showed this one scene where the character is facing a table which has on it swords axes shields and a bowl of fruit some water and a napkin....and you can eat some fruit have a drink and wipe your mouth withte napkin, then pick up a sword and kick some butt.....
    I can do all that already (minus the sword and butt-kicking bit).
    What's next, dropping your pants for a quick No.2 in the forest, after eating too much roast suckling pig the night before?

i get gameinformer magazine.....it came with my discount card for GameStop.