Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I'm the law... Administrator daigoro's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Spyware and Adware

If anyone has ever been in doubt, this site does not nor will ever run ads that automatically installs viruses and spyware on your computer. The ads here are served by two of the business' most serious ad networks.

If you think you have a problem with Adware or Spyware on your computer and is seeing a lot of strange ads on the net I would suggest that you try running Spybot or AdAware to check your computer for malicious software.

AdAware can be downloaded here.

SpyBot can be downloaded here.

What about pop ups? I find them more annoying than adware or spyware.

Just for the record, I've never had any problems

Most sites unfortunately depend upon pop up advertising to pay the bills (line their pockets ) I prefer banners as a rule, and have clicked on them to check out products. I will never click on a pop up ad, and try to black list said products when I see them.

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    In your internet options you may be able to disable pop ups, or you can download pop up blocker software.

Some chat windows and pm windows may also be stopped by these, so you should become familiar with how to turn them on and off.

Sometimes the pop ups you pick up at other sites appear to be activated when you visit here.

Very true, though I very rarely frequent said sites.

pop ups

If you add a google toolbar to your browser it has something that will disable most pop-ups.

Leisure time optimizer Moderator Nimea's Avatar
    Or use Firefox as your browser. Surfing the net with it is so much better.

The latest Service Pack for Windows XP (downloaded from Microsoft) comes with a pop-up blocker that I find works better than Pop-up-Stopper, which is what I used before. Any pop-up blocker though should be able to stop sffworld's pop-ups, as they're not too bad. I've never had any problems visiting this site.

People having lots of problems probably have gotten some adware on their computer that's acting up. I would recommend using Spybot to get rid of it. Adaware is good too, but IMO Spybot is the easier program to use. The first time I used Spybot on my computer it found so much crap I didn't know was there, I was shocked!

Blog Entries
    I must admit that I dislike pop-ups just as much as any other person. Then again I do also see it from a different perspective.

There are lots of pop-up blockers and also ad blockers which stop banner ads out there. So if you want to surf the net virtually without seeing any ads it's definitely possible. There is a big but though...

If everyone starts using such software, websites who is providing content and communities free of charge will have to cover the costs in other ways. Which pretty much leaves three options, the first one being to make websites subscription based and charge a fee and drop the ads. Another option would be to show even more pop-ups and ads for those few that don't run such blockers and the last option simply being that a lot of websites would be forced to just close down.

I definitely see this becoming a real problem in the not so distant future, then of course, maybe by then other options and revenue opportunities have emerged and it won't be a problem, but I'm not so sure it will...

Well, just some thoughts about the bigger picture.

Blog Entries
    I know of a number of sites that have become fee paying over the past few years, others run on donations, others sell everything from "t" shirts to mugs to keep going...

It's a choice, ads and blockers, or pay in some way... The net is changing

While we're on the topic of covering website costs, I'm curious Dag--do you get anything much from the links at the top of page to Amazon? I always try to follow that link when I'm ordering books but I often wonder if it's actually beneficial to you.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think you'll get a figure from Dag, Miriamele, but the site does get something from those links, and it does go towards paying the rent (but not totally). However, all contributions are gratefully received - so 'Thank You'. I also use them when I go to Amazon (which is very often! )

Don't think it's enough for the yacht yet though, nor the 'staff-perks' (hint hint ).

Hobbit
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Nope, no yacht, not even a small one. Well. I like it better up in the mountains anway .

The Amazon links definitely helps, but to say they're bringing in a lot would be to exaggerate. I got a check from Amazon.ca last week for $26 and that's probably for a whole year or even longer (can't really remember when I last got one from there). All in all I'd say that the various Amazon links pays for about 2 months worth of expenses.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Can we contribute directly to the site? Like the free set-up sites that charge a small amount for banner-free page views, is there a link?