Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm the law... Administrator daigoro's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not at the moment no, but I have been considering putting some work into creating a feature where you could subscribe to get an ad free version of the site.

Not sure if that many people would be interested in it to make it worth doing though, but it's there somewhere on the rather long todo list, just not at the top .

I would be interested!

I don't like ads, and I do like supporting sff. A winning combo, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Dag
    Not at the moment no, but I have been considering putting some work into creating a feature where you could subscribe to get an ad free version of the site.

Not sure if that many people would be interested in it to make it worth doing though, but it's there somewhere on the rather long todo list, just not at the top .
    I was actually thinking of suggesting this. I think it might well be worth while...

I hope this question is not out of place here, but do you have to have your cookies enabled ( I hope that's the correct terminology) to view and post on this site? Lately, using Firefox I can't log in at all and using IE I can log in but moving about the site my log in is forgotten again. For instance I've had to log in 7 times this visit.

Blog Entries
    As with most Internet sites disabling cookies is a really bad idea. They help you stay logged in, gives you access to various other parts, even helps limit the number of popups that sffworld is showing you...

Personally I must say that I've never really understood why anyone wants to turn of cookies. In my opinion the "propaganda" you hear against cookies is plain nonsense by people who don't really understand what they are talking about at all.

It turned out to be nothing to do with cookies but McAfee's Privacy Service. Instead of protecting me, it decided to stop me from signing in and corrupting others from my posts.
    However, this is the only site that I have had this problem.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I don't know if this is the right thread but...

For about 2 days (maybe 3) there seems to be a huge increase in pop ups here... I used to be able to use this site just fine, my pop up blocker getting rid of most of them, the occasional one coming through. Now, about every 15 seconds a new one pops up, it's getting out of control, almost debilitating to the point that I want to just leave. And it's only happening with this site...

Is it just me??

Blog Entries
    That sounds extremely strange to me. There shouldn't be many pop-ups served from the site at all lately actually. Since people started using pop-up blockers the ad companies doesn't really sell that many pop-up ads.

So there should be a very limited number of pop-ups and even if there were there is also a filter in place that limits the potential of a pop-up to once every 9 minutes.

Do you see what kind of ads are they showing?

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    It looks like spyware or something... 'registry cleaners', 'emoticons', etc... pop ups advertising silly things. I'd almost think my computer had an adware problem, but it is still ONLY happening when I visit this site! And it's getting worse... now it's so bad, there is non stop activity happening in my task bar in the bottom of the screen. I even had to cut and paste this post from a Word document, because I can't even type a post anymore...!

Blog Entries
    I have double checked the ads being serverd during the day and everything looks absolutely fine so I can almost 100% guarantee that the website is not the source.

It might be adware even though it's only at the site, I have at least heard that they hijack ads in different ways so it might be they are programmed to hijack ads served from the ad network that the site is using.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Evil - it's worth downloading Ad-Aware SE and AVG if you haven't got them already, they take care of any pop-up problems I have straight away

While we are on the topic, I would definitely pay to get an ad-free version of this site. While I haven't had the same problem that Evil Agent has described, I have issues with two of the ads in particular: First, the Brad Pitt paparazzi one that makes the camera clicking noise; I always have to reload the page to get it to stop, cannot concentrate on anything with that incessant clicking. Second, the SHOULD MARIJUANA BE LEGALIZED!!! pop-up, which is not only annoying and inappropriate at work (yeah yeah, I know, shouldn't be browsing the forums at work ), I believe this forum has guidelines which generally prohibits the discussion of illegal intoxicants.

OK, anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest!

The point being that I feel like this board has actually saved me money by allowing me to only spend my earned cash on quality reads. I would be happy to make some sort of annual donation to have ads removed from my account.

Is this still a possibility?

Blog Entries
    I have been thinking on it for years actually and I do have it on my todo list. Lots of technical issues to work out, but it should be possible. I simly just need to find the time to implement it.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent
    I don't know if this is the right thread but...

For about 2 days (maybe 3) there seems to be a huge increase in pop ups here... I used to be able to use this site just fine, my pop up blocker getting rid of most of them, the occasional one coming through. Now, about every 15 seconds a new one pops up, it's getting out of control, almost debilitating to the point that I want to just leave. And it's only happening with this site...

Is it just me??
    No it's not just you Evil. Most definitely not! Mine have been going insane, and only here. I was forced to increase my pop-up blocker from medium to high, and still some get through (again mainly for silly emoticons and smiley-face cursors and whatnot). I find that when I'm posting a reply or sending a pm my task bar will be continously loading ads and if I want to use italics, or a smiley, I have to click 'stop' first. Weird eh? All quiet so far today, but yesterday was particularly bad.

I also would pay for an ad-free membership: a, to stop ads and b, to support the site.

K

adventurebooks
    At AB of Seattle we have the Great Greg from Microsoft as our tech advisor. So, no popups. We have a ruthless blocker, trust me.

However, I noted on another thread that the homepage here has been taking 30-60 seconds to load, and this is annoying. I have a superfast broadband connection and a good computer. I was just wondering if this is typical for the site, or just me...

I have no problems most other sites. They load the homepage nearly instantly, or in 3 seconds or less.

It won't make me drop the site, but I was just wondering if this typical for this site.

To Administrator: Watch out for dial-up denial of service attacks on forums. They have been going around.
    Last edited by adventurebooks; August 8th, 2007 at 02:21 AM.