Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lynn Flewelling...

She's becoming one of my favorites in fantasy. I recently read her Tamir Triad and WOW! The books are so emotionally crippling and the writing is very poetic at times.

Also check out her Nightrunner Series!

Does anyone else like her?

Waaay back in May 2003 The Bone Doll's Twin was our Fantasy Book Club selection. I liked the first two books of that trilogy, but never got around to reading the third. I need to fix that.

Uh, Moderator
    I've read the whole trilogy, and enjoyed the first two but the third took a pretty drastic turn in enjoyment for me - it didn't share many (if any) of the strengths of the first two books (dark tone, gender themes, etc) and read much more like a traditional epic fantasy. I have the first of the Nightrunner books, but it' not screaming out to be read considering my bad experience with Oracle's Queen.

I've only read her Tamir Triad series (I do need to fix that and read more by her) but I loved that. Well, the first two books were wonderful. The third was good, but nowhere near as memorable as the others. I still enjoyed it though, just to a lesser extent.

She's quickly becoming one of my favorites, too. I recently read her Nightrunner series and enjoyed each book. (The first and second are definitely the best. I just finished the fourth and liked it, although it seemed like it was missing the second half.) I don't they're the most well-written books out there, but they're entertaining and fun to read. There's also plenty of angst, which I'm totally a sucker for.

I've got the The Bone Doll's Twin ready and waiting for when I finish my current book. Totally excited since I've heard a lot of really good things about it.

I enjoy the Nightrunners series too, and just finished the fourth book. I think I read the next one is coming out in "Summer 09", so I assume that is a year away before we get the "second half" (as Ademona called it).

I've read both Nightrunner and Tamir, and I enjoyed them both. I was a little disappointed by the ending of the Tamir trilogy -- I thought The Bone Doll's Twin was the best, hands down, out of any book that Flewelling has written. I'd definitely read more by Flewelling. I'm interested in gender issues, so it's fun to see it played out on a fantasy field.

I read her Nightrunner series (first three) and liked it, especially the second. It's entertaining and easy read, typical fantasy. The third was a bit different and it left a lot of questions unanswered but I don't feel any inclination to read Shadows Return soon, maybe when the fifth book comes out.

I have Tamir Trilogy sitting on my shelf for almost a year and think I'll read it pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomau View Post
    I read her Nightrunner series (first three) and liked it, especially the second. It's entertaining and easy read, typical fantasy. The third was a bit different and it left a lot of questions unanswered but I don't feel any inclination to read Shadows Return soon, maybe when the fifth book comes out.

I have Tamir Trilogy sitting on my shelf for almost a year and think I'll read it pretty soon.
    If you thought Traitor's Moon ended with unanswered questions, definitely don't read Shadows Return until the fifth book comes out. I wasn't exaggerating when I said that Shadows Return was missing its second half -- I meant it literally, too. Even though the page count is about the same, the font is almost twice as large as the first three books, and it's practically double-spaced! (Okay, maybe not that extreme, but it sure felt like it!)

I do recommend dusting off that Tamir Trilogy. I just finished The Bone Doll's Twin this week and it was excellent. While I think I still prefer the Nightrunner series (at least the first two books), I appreciate how much more is going on under the surface with the Tamir Trilogy so far. It's a lot darker, and it deals with much more complex themes. I would have liked to see the story progress a bit quicker; it was a bit bogged down by set-up in the beginning. Still, it's a great book.

The third was a bit different and it left a lot of questions unanswered but I don't feel any inclination to read Shadows Return soon, maybe when the fifth book comes out.
    How many are there in the Nightrunner series? I was under the impression that the series was finished, until I started reading posts on here mentioning a new book coming out. Kinda left me a bit confused about what's going on with that series since then.

There are four books in the Nightrunner series. The fourth, Shadows Return, was just released at the end of June. Her website site says that the fifth book, The White Road, is due to be released summer '09.

She left the Nightrunner series open after the third book, so I think she must have always planned to go back to it after finishing the Tamir Triad.

Moved by this thread I've picked up Tamir Triad and finished The Bone Doll's Twin few days ago and just loved it: IMO best of Lynn thus far, although closely followed by Stalking Darkness. I'm currently in the middle of Hidden Warrior.
    So, this reminded me a bit why I liked Nightrunner series and am wondering what it is about in Shadows Return: do we see more of Beka, Thero, Magyana, Phoria and the war, or is it just Alec and Seregil (cause I was a bit bored with them when they became a couple, they are just too similar IMO and don't make that an interesting couple.)

So, this reminded me a bit why I liked Nightrunner series and am wondering what it is about in Shadows Return: do we see more of Beka, Thero, Magyana, Phoria and the war, or is it just Alec and Seregil (cause I was a bit bored with them when they became a couple, they are just too similar IMO and don't make that an interesting couple.)
    Not really. We don't see too much of the other characters, mainly just Alec and Seregil, although we do get a little time with Thero (but not nearly enough!). I think--I hope--that Thero and Magyana will play a larger role in the next book.

As far as how interesting Alec and Seregil are as a couple, I can see where you'd be bored with them. They do become much more similar in character as the series progesses. I think part of that comes from Alec growing out of his innocence and naivete. Still, I think Lynn Flewelling does a good job of maintaining tension between them. She gives them realistic--well, so to speak; it is fantasy after all--ostacles to overcome, both individually and as a couple.

Hmm, than I' ll rather wait for the book five.
    But thanks for the info.

Ooh sounds interesting.