Can't remember name of scifi movie I saw

I once saw a scifi movie, wich I want to watch again, but I can't remember the name and can't find it.

I don't remember the story exactly anymore, but here's what I remember.

It's something about the world is really an ugly place. People live in ugly houses, look really ugly and eat ugly, disgusting food. However, noone sees it, because some kind of signal is being sent out, so everybody sees the world as if everything looks normal and good. Only one person, suddenly sees the world as it is, and I think he also finds other people who sees it too, and they start on finding out how to terminate the system that makes people not see the real world. (It's not "They live", even though it does have some similarities, not the Matrix either)

Can anyone remember this movie?

I've deffinately seen that film, but it was quite a few years ago and can't remember the name. When they saw the real world didn't it have like bar codes all over tha place and the 'system' was making people see certain things depending on the code (or something like that).

sounds vagely like Dark City, but I could be mistaken.

Not Dark City, quite different actually. It's on earth and bright. And the world does not change, only people see the world different than what it is.

Does someone know a website with a list of all sci-fi movies that has come out, so I can go through it by year from now and going back until I find this movie (despite it taking long )?

Leisure time optimizer Moderator Nimea's Avatar
    Okay, I don't really have any idea.

But I will throw in some things anyway: reading your first post I thought it might be the movie eXistenz (1999). But don't really know. Very unsure. Mmh, no, probably not.

If what monty wrote it is indeed with barcodes I felt like I really have seen something like that too - but not as a movie, rather an episode of Outer Limits?

Anyway, don't know a complete sci-fi movie list either, but maybe this site can help? Sci-Fi Movie page

If you find out, let us know! I am curious now.

Let me just specify. I think it was about 5 to 10 years about that I saw it, and I think it was new at the time. I don't remember if seeing it in the theater, on video or tv, so I don't even know if it was just a tv-movie.

It's not existens. There isn't really any cyberstuff in it.

I don't remember about the bar codes.

I think the closest other movie would be They Live, wich is what made me think of this movie!

Thanks for your help anyway. I will keep looking and tell when/if I find it!

I found it now, with help from people on imdb's forum. The part about the barcodes is also correct! The Movie is called Virtual Nightmare (2000)!

YAY!

Now that I know the name I think I'll be renting it out again. Damn good movie!
    Last edited by Monty Mike; February 17th, 2005 at 02:44 PM.

I finally have the name. But can't find it in the videostore or anywhere! I'll probably find it eventually though, now that I know the title!

Quote Originally Posted by jespero
    I finally have the name. But can't find it in the videostore or anywhere! I'll probably find it eventually though, now that I know the title!

Sounds like a decent film.
    Straight on the "to see" list.