Short Story Collections anyone?

I posted this thread befor but got no answer so I try again.
    Is anyone reading any short story collections?
    I started reading them after "Legends" came out, a marvelous collection of gems of fantasy.
    Since then I'm hunting for good collections of fantasy and can say it's really rewarding.
    Even if you're unlucky there' s at least one or two stories which are worth reading.
    But most of the time I'm really astonished by the great quality of the work.
    That's only to expect of course because most of the big names started by publishing short stories.
    I think it's a shame that the efforts of new or sometimes even well established authors on this field are so neglected.
    Especially because it is an area where you can get to know new authors first before you buy a full scale novel.
    Sadly collections tend to be out of print pretty soon and are seldom reprinted.
    So if anyone's interested I'd post a few recommendations and I'd be glad to get recommendations of good short story collections myself.

Thanks for the recommendations!
    I've Legends II of course but will check out some of the others.
    Sounds great.

Just one suggestion I'm reading at the moment: "Give me Liberty".
    It's a collections of older sf stories which circle around the idea of Non-Government edited by Martin Greenberg and Mark Tier. Interesting stories.

One book that is kind of a collection of short stories is the Lord Darcy book. It is set in a parallel universe, where magic is used to solve crimes. Sort of a CSI with magic style book. I have purchased the book, but am yet to start reading it (gotta finish the Empire series first).

Another collection of short stories, set in the same universe is Wild Cards (edited by George R R Martin). It is more sci-fi then fantasy I suppose, but the basic premise involves super heroes and the like. It is another on my long to read list.

I am not sure if they are what you are looking for, but I hoped I have provided you with some food for thought.

There are still many good story collections and anthologies being published. But many of these collections are nowadays being published by small publishing companies like Golden Gryphon, NEFSA, Telos etc... They publish some great stuff but I just can't afford to pay 25 $ for a hardcover story collection.

Some recent interesting story collection/anthologies by major publishers are :

-Collected Short Fiction of CJ Cherryh (DAW)
    -New Magics by Patrick Hayden Nielsen (Tor)
    -Faery Reel by Ellen Datlow
    -Year's Best Fantasy 5 by Hartwell (Eos)

Two recent and interesting collections of YA fantasy are :

-Year's Best SF and Fantasy for Teens by Jane Yolen

-Firebirds, an interesting YA anthology with a very strong field of authors like Lloyd Alexander, Garth Nix, P. McKillip, Nina Kiriki Hoffman, D. Wynne-Jones,...

The two mainstream publishers who bring out most story collections lately are Baen and DAW.

Baen have brought out a lot of story/short novels collections by "golden age" authors like Keith Laumer, Murray Leinster, James Schmitz, Randall Garrett etc...

DAW of course are bringing out around 10-12 story collections each year by the inevitable Martin Greenberg.

Thanks for your recommendations
    Michelle West has published an anthology with short stories "Speaking to Angels" which is now available in soft cover I think and it's very good.
    I have a lot of anthologys edited by Martin Greenberg. Some of them are quite interesting. I like "Villains victorious", "Assassin fantastic", "Sirius the dog star", "Battle magic", "Wondrous beginnings" which features the first stories of G.R.R. Martin, Orson Scott Card, Gene Wolfe, Stephen Baxter and others, "After the King" with stories by Patricia Mckillip, Steven Donaldson, Terry Pratchett, Emma Bull and others.
    I know the titles are quite stupid but there are still some good stories imo.

Oh. Wild Cards:
    I have a few volumes of that series.
    But I think it's not short stories but some kind of colloborated work novel by different authors ?
    Last edited by Ntschotschi; May 8th, 2005 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntschotschi

Oh. Wild Cards:
    I have a few volumes of that series.
    But I think it's not short stories but some kind of collaborated work novel by different authors ?
    It's a mixture of (a) novels collaborated on by a number of different authors, each doing a different character PoV and (b) books of interconnected short stories which form part of a larger story thread to a greater or lesser extent (Some are more episodic than others).

A couple of collections I have read recently and enjoyed:

The Fantasy Writer's Assitant and other stories - Jeffrey Ford

Secret Life - Jeff VanderMeer

Things that Never Were: Fantasies, Lunacies and Entertaining Lies - Matthew Rossi

The New Universal History of Infamy - Rhys Hughes

Voyages by Starlight - Ian R. Macleod

Breathmoss and Other Exhalations - Ian R. Macleod

Innocents Aboard: new fantasy stories - Gene Wolfe

Endangered Species - Gene Wolfe

Castle of Days - Gene Wolfe

Dreams Underfoot: The Newford Collection - Charles De Lint

Smoke and Mirrors - Neal Gaiman

Leviathan Three - edit by Forest Aguirre, and features work from Jeffrey Ford, Jeff vanderMeer, Zoran Zivckovic, Micahel Moorcock and others

The Essential Ellison: A 50 Year Retrospective - Harlan Ellison

I've gone on a bit of a short story kick lately, but concentrating on the magazines such as Asimov's, Mag. of Fantasy & SF, Andromeda Spaceways. Makes me think I'm keeping up with what's going on . These magazines will usually have a story by someone that has been recommended around the place and it's a great way to get a taste of their style.

I am slowly warming up the Short Story. I've been picking up Black Gate magazine when it publishes, editor John O'Neill consistently publishes quality stories. Of the three issues I have, the strongest writer, IMHO, is Todd McAulty. The only problems with the magazine are the erratic publishing schedule and the difficulty of purchasing the magazine. However, our good friend Neil at Clarkesworld Books has all the issues of the magazine.

As for anthologies, I've been getting the Datlow Years Best Fantasy and Horror every year, and I also like Hartwell's Year's Best Fantasy, up to *I think* the fourth or fifth edition.

I've got Jeffrey Ford's The Fantasy Writer's Assitant and Other Stories on my to-read pile at home. I've actually read a couple of the stories from this collection in other anthologies and been really pleased.

A couple of years ago, I reviewed Mojo: Conjure Stories, a very solid collection.

I'd like to get hold of the magazines but they're really hard to get in Germany.
    It's strange.
    I never really bothered reading short stories before but they've acquired a certain appeal for me now.
    Maybe it's because they experiment more with different kind of styles and language.
    Some explore really crazy ideas too, which would be difficult to extend over the length of a whole novel.
    The story "The ungoverned" by Vernor Vinge which I just read, deals with a time, when the idea of government is completely ridiculed and unimaginable to the people.
    The only way they can fathom a state is by compairing it to some kind of company.
    The stress of the story doesn't lie on the characters but on the development of this single idea. How would ungoverned people react to an invasion of an hostile army?