Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Going for books you may not have heard much about - in alphabetical order:
    Mike Resnick - Santiago
    Sheri S. Tepper - The Companions
    Johanna Sinisalo - Troll, A Love Story
    Sean Stewart - Passion Play

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    I may have to read for a longer period than I anticipated!

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    So I've a question. Why are you taking this 'break'? How did you determine when to stop and when to start back again?

WHEN IS BOOK 4 COMING OUT! Dang it!

Oh, I started book 2. You caused me to have to re-read the first couple of chapters because I didn't know it was the same series. You introduced new characters on me. I think you just like messing with readers' heads.

It's my head that's messed, Maus. I am just opening it up when I write.

Yes, a few new characters. They were there all along but they were busy in other areas off the screen.

Book IV is done, totally. I will send it to my editor soon. I've just been too busy lately to do the paperwork.

I am taking a two week break from writing just so that I can read a little and sound half knowledgable when I talk to people here! Honestly though, I need to read a few books. I miss it terribly. Two weeks will seem like an eternity.

I don't like rules. I thought we'd established that.

But see, now you've finally explained what you're going for -- new titles that are being talked about so you'll be more knowledgable with your reading time. Of course, I'm sort of useless there at the moment, as I've not had the chance to really sit down and figure out who's blazing across the market besides the established bestsellers (who all write series you don't have time to read.) Hereford Eye's titles sounded interesting.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like "American Gods." My reading of "Twins" has shown me that you have a very courtly style, and I think perhaps tastes, and the following two titles, while one is not current, might be up your alley:

"The Fox Woman" -- Kij Johnson
    "Duncton Wood" -- William Horwood

That they are both animal-related fantasies is coincidence. I think you'll like the style of those two.

But if we go with the hot new writers, I'm forgetting -- did you read Erikson yet or not? Who else in fantasy or epic fantasy, stand alone or at least a first novel that will stand by itself that's really big now? The Australians are very in at the moment.

Yes they are, aren't they. Lot's of titles coming from the south.

Erikson is one I do intend to read.

Interesting description, 'courtly style'. The books get darker and less formal, more fluid, as they progress. But yes, that's a good description as far as The Twins is concerned.

Some books I have loved in the past:

The Berlin Stories, Isherwood
    Magic Mountain, Mann
    Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Nietzsche
    The Deryni Chronicles, Kurz (yes, I loved them!)
    The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test, Wolfe
    In Watermelon Sugar, Brautigan
    Copperfield, Twist, Great Expectations, Dickens

A bit schizo perhaps, but true.

Uh, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Wassner
    Scott and I agreed to exchange books a month or so ago. I am anxious to read both of his, and he now has the first three of mine as well.
    Maybe yourself, Scott and Matt Stover should do a three way swap. It'd give you at least 4 books to read and make for some more interesting discussions...

Guarded by the Moon Moderator Lani's Avatar
    About Kushiel Dart, I did like it a whole lot, but I am pretty sure this sort of story is not for everyone and it's hard for me to tell whether it's your type of story, but I can honestly say that I would give that book 10/10 for reading experience. Objectively speaking the book had some faults in presentation of material and in plot but it was also one of those books you thoroughly enjoy reading/don't want to put down type. I really liked the setting, I liked character dynamics, the plot was also excellent for the most part. I enjoyed the fact that it had more complexity than what I'd call a "D&D" plot including politics and such, which is the sort of thing I enjoy. I felt a bit iffy about the first person narrative, but I think the writing in itself was excellent. I do feel that I might have liked it more for a female protagonist which is just my sort of thing, but I would definitely not think that reading it would be a waste of time. Some really interesting cultural ideas there that I haven't encountered before. So yeah, do make it one of the four!

Interesting you should say that, Eventine. Scott and i have already done that. He now has all three of mine. And, though Matt and I never discussed this, I actually just bought Heroes Die from Amazon. They had this promotion running and I bought two books for one of my sons along with Heroes Die for $.01!! Yes, one cent! Pretty good deal. It would cost Matt more to send it to me.

I am going to put all the suggestions together from both here and deadcities ( i asked the same question there) and see what I can come up with. I want some diversity, but I also need stand alone books. This has been really helpful so far.

I am also, believe it or not, reading my own books in their final form for the first time without having the ability to make corrections. It's too late for that. I am about 200 pages into The Twins and I have found only two minor errors, both of which I don't know if anyone would ever pick up on. Of course, I cringed at each and I looked around me, embarassed, as if they were being broadcast in Times Square. When I suppress the urge to read critically and I read for the story, I am actually enjoying it.
    Last edited by Gary Wassner; February 24th, 2005 at 07:54 AM.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    LOL, matt will be delighted with that! What you need Gary, is for Amazon to offer Heroes Die for $.01 to people who buy The Twins

You can't even get 1 cent bargain bins can you?

Yeah, I thought it was a mistake when the website totalled the bill. I went back and tried to figure out what I did wrong. I bought my son GRRM's A Game of Thrones as well as Blade of Tyshalle and Heroes. Someone's losing money here. I didn't tell Matt.

Oh it gets better. It would be REALLY funny, if they did that with Goodkind or Jordan, then Matt would be spitting bullets.

LOL. What a tie in - Goodkind, Jordan and Stover. They could promote them all together - if you liked this, then you will like......

Go on Gary, you know you want to...

Go into Matt's forum and post:

SPECIAL DEAL AT AMAZON... BUY GRR MARTIN'S A GAME OF THRONES AND GET STOVER'S HEROES DIE FOR $.01

Now THAT is poking the Bear.

But Juzz, you misunderstood me. I got all three for just $.01

I didn't pay for GRRM's book separately. I should tell Martin as well.