Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    You're darn right they will. In fact, it was my publicist who helped my publisher get this mess straightened out. Which leads me to my next new thread.......

No one mentioned Greg Keyes? How about Kay?

Gary, I absolutely love Greg Keyes work. I think his Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone is more enjoyable than Martin's saga. I'd be hard pressed to honestly choose between his work and Scott's (Bakker) as my favorite unfinished ongoing saga in which I've read all the books thus far.

Matt (Stover) has praised The Briar King very highly, too.

GG Kay is good too.

I just ordered Caitlin Sweet's book, but it's not going to arrive for a while. So I think I will take you up on Kingdom now. Even though I am madly writing my own at the moment, I just recently learned that I can read on the eliptical machine at my gym. I read most of TWP that way. So that gives me an hour a day when I absolutely cannot write. My laptop kind of bounces off of the top, and that really messes it up. (LOL)

Some recent fantasy reads ( released in the last couple of years) I thought were excellent:

The Light - M. John Harrison
    The Etched City - KJ Bishop
    Secret Life - Jeff VanderMeer
    The Last Guardian of Everness - John C. Wright (also has a fabulous Sci-fi series)
    The Year of Our War - Steph Swainston
    Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke
    The Family Trade - Charles Stross
    Iron Council - China Mieville
    Fourth Circle - Zoran Zukovic

It's older than a few years but I find many people l haven't read the Cornelius quartet by Moorcock which is ridculously good about his English assasin/messiah/musician among other things:

The Final Program
    A Cure for Cancer
    The English Assasin
    The Conditon of Muzak

I just bought the Etched City as well from Clarkesworld. I hope one of the three that I just purchased arrives soon!!!

I just bought the Etched City as well from Clarkesworld. I hope one of the three that I just purchased arrives soon!!!
    I really enjoyed it, Mrs. Bishop is a very nice lady as well, In fact I just finished an interview with her today that she was gracious enought to agree with and will probably have it posted on my site in the next couple of days

Fantasybookspot.com

I think I will read it before I read the book. That should be insightful. What is your website address?

You mentioned something to me the other day about my own books. Is someone reviewing them, do you know? If so, I hope they read and like Epic Fantasy. I had a reviewer once who prefaced his reivew with a caveat: I do not like Epic Fantasy. As that was the first line of the review when it was posted, I almost didn't bother reading any further. As it turned out, he did call it a 'fine piece of Epic Fantasy', and his criticisms were primarily about the genre. He made some good technical points about my writing as well, but what a start!

I just saw the your website address. no need to repeat it. I was sure it wasn't there a minute ago?

You mentioned something to me the other day about my own books. Is someone reviewing them, do you know? If so, I hope they read and like Epic Fantasy. I had a reviewer once who prefaced his reivew with a caveat: I do not like Epic Fantasy. As that was the first line of the review when it was posted, I almost didn't bother reading any further. As it turned out, he did call it a 'fine piece of Epic Fantasy', and his criticisms were primarily about the genre. He made some good technical points about my writing as well, but what a start!
    Nobody at the site tends to have an aversion toward epic fantasy, in fact if their was an inbalance it would be the otherway around IMHO. I am probably the most critical of some writers of epic fantasy there, but I believe I am fair. Martin and Bakker, and Keyes write great epic works and I'd grade them as such if I reviewed them. That said if something is terrible I don't sugar coat it either, I try to have some semblance of integrity, I don't read just novels that I think I'm prone to like. The first novel will be reviewed by someone other than me, I will probably go ahread and review the rest since I'm buying them this weekend. My site is dedicated for all branches of the genre, regarding reviews, fans, and interview selections. For instance our first interview will be with KJ Bishop, a new small press, critical favorite, down ths road I have also reached an agreement with Mr. Salvatore, a shared world, sword/sorcery writer (and branch of the genre no one is more knocked than shared worlds). If you wish would care to particpate Mr. Wassner, after I read your books I would love to do an interview.

It was not your website I was referring to when I mentioned that review. I took a look at yours and it is obvious that Epic Fantasy is not something that you shy away from.

It would be my pleasure to participate by doing an interview with you. I would like that.

I have a lot of respect for Bob Salvatore. He is a very sincere man. He has struck the hearts of many many readers with his stories and his characterizations. I very often encounter people who think that he created in Drizzt one of the best fantasy personalities of all time. Who should measure success for us and by what standards? I would hope that we all try to write the best books that we can. It's a shame that some people can't see past their own prejudices when they evaluate the work of others. If the author has integrity, as Bob most certainly does, and if he has talent, which Bob unquestionably does, then the fact that he is writing in a shared world rubric shouldn't matter at all. It's what he does with it that counts.

Mr. Wassner, although the proper linkage is not done yet the interview with Mrs. Bishop is up at our site. It's short as our feature is desined to be conveinient to the author, thus our feature is limited to 7 questions. If your interested it's Here

Fantasybookspot.com

Okay these are two, three or Four books, but really they should just be one mother lovin' book:

Three Kingdoms attributed to Lou Guanzhong. Uhh I guess my moniker would make it obvious that I would choose these.

Also would take:

Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima

Plato The Republic

Shogun by James Clavell

All these are books that changed my life in some way.

The Republic i have read many many times of course, and studied more than i want to remember.

Shogun was also one of my all time favorites! Did you read the rest of the series?

Yeah.

King Rat: Loved it
    Noble House: Never got to it. But love the movie mainly due to Pierce Brosnan and Jonathan Rys Davies.
    Whirlwind: Couldn't finish it.
    Tai Pan: Great! I even like the movie.
    Gai Jin: Oh god I love that book! And I even like the the movie the Last Samurai seems to seamlessly pick up where it left off.

Also there is one other book but not by Clavell.

Shimabara. It takes place during the same time as Shogun but this one is a fantasy tale. It's about a left handed samurai named Jubei who becomes a ninja and he has some powers. It's a fun little book.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Wassner
    The Republic i have read many many times of course, and studied more than i want to remember.

Shogun was also one of my all time favorites! Did you read the rest of the series?

oh yeah to follow your orriginal guidlines here's a book:

The Rules of Ascension by David B Coe Copyright 2002 printed March 2002.

I'd compare it to George RR Martin Game of Thrones (just less barabric sex, and sex in general which is my preference anyway) and Melanie Rawn's Dragin Prince Series. It's highly political and itn it's about well the "Rules of Ascension" in this Kingdom where the Dukes sort of share the crown. He makes a very good Feudal State quasi constitutional. Also the magic is unique but very limited. Only one race has it and they only have certain "spells or powers" each and mostly only 1 or a few of them. Also there's some pestilence that I can't remember the specifics of but the first chapter of the book is great and first chapters of fantasy novels (actually the first few) tend to take an effort to see if they are worth it, but this one hooked me. The only flaw that I can see is that the first chapter and the characters within don't seem to have too much to do with the rest of the book. But that part and the rest are good enough stand alone to accept. Although I may be wrong and missed the part where the tied together but as far as I can tell the first chapter just serves to set up the premise of the story.

Anyway I know nothing of this author and got the hardcover on a reduced rack at chapters and it saddens me a little to see that but then my wallet grins at me and I shut up about it.