Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I think I'm in love...

I finally picked up Nylon Angel today, I'm only about 60 pages in but I'm really enjoying it.

I likje the fast, almost arrogant style, it reminds me somewhat of Michael Marshall Smith, except he doesn't have Parrish.... *swoon*

And that is of course the point of this thread. She's an odd character, she seems a strange mix of competence, insecurity, arrogance and tenderness, I'd be interested to know how you created her, or if she just created herself...

J

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LOL..... I'm sure (of course!) that Parrish is based on Marianne herself, and despite claims that she's 'writing' (ie: making it up) it is all based on Marianne's real-life.

Honest.
    (What do you mean - Australia's not like that?)

she seems a strange mix of competence, insecurity, arrogance and tenderness
    Yeah - I think I'd agree with that, actually. That sums up Parrish for me too; A tough outer skin, with a real soft centre... she's not had it easy, has she?

Hobbit
    Mark

Marianne de Pierres
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacquin
    And that is of course the point of this thread. She's an odd character, she seems a strange mix of competence, insecurity, arrogance and tenderness, I'd be interested to know how you created her, or if she just created herself...
    J
    Why thank you Jacquin! How lovely.

Yes Parrish is all those things you say. It would be untrue to deny some of myself (Hobbit! ) in there, but she also has attributes that I have encountered in other people and been fascinated by. How is it that we can be so competent in some things and so hopeless in others? So forgiving on one issue and obstinate on another?

Contradiction is the spice in human nature. So to answer your question. She's a little bit of me and a little bit of (all of) you - taken to extremes!

MDP

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Can I just say at this point that I went to the Brisbane book launch of Nylon Angel and Marrianne came dressed in red leather sporting a Lara Croft pony tail. Make of that what you will but I'll further add (cos it's good for rumourmongering) that Marrianne is a very tall basketballer. I'm a tall netballer but I was glad it was a bookstore and not any kind of court.

BoA Manager
    and unfortunately i'm still waiting for my copy of Nylon Angel to come in. so this convo is quite enlightening so plz continue

Blog Entries
    I went to the Brisbane book launch of Nylon Angel and Marrianne came dressed in red leather sporting a Lara Croft pony tail.
    See, see - I was right!

AND.....
    Marianne is a very tall basketballer.
    If I remember right, one of the points made by Parrish in Nylon Angel was that her height made her stand out, so it made it difficult when she needed to alter her identity.

LOL..... I rest my case.

How is it that we can be so competent in some things and so hopeless in others?
    Oh, I find that quite easy to do, except with more of the hopeless, less of the competent.

Hobbit
    Mark

Marianne de Pierres
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Sheep
    Can I just say at this point that I went to the Brisbane book launch of Nylon Angel and Marrianne came dressed in red leather sporting a Lara Croft pony tail. Make of that what you will but I'll further add (cos it's good for rumourmongering) that Marrianne is a very tall basketballer. I'm a tall netballer but I was glad it was a bookstore and not any kind of court.
    Hah! Bren, you tell a good story

MDP
    P.S. Now I've had my say about CPunk, I'm waiting for you all to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by MDP
    Hah! Bren, you tell a good story
    Yeah yeah, we need pictures!

I'm now almost finished and I'm still very much enjoying it. I love the fact that she's convinced she's nothing special but every man she meets thinks she's gorgeous.

I know this is the first Parrish book but was it your first ever book? If so I'm very impressed (I'm actually impressed anyway, but I think I might have got that across already). Ok, enough boot licking now, I'm off to think on Cyberpunk...

J

Marianne de Pierres
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacquin
    I know this is the first Parrish book but was it your first ever book? J
    Hi Jacquin,
    I have very bad SO in my bottom draw (with a couple of good scenes in it which I hope to extract and use one day!). So NA is my second novel but my first published novel.
    best
    MDP

Apart from children's novellas... don't forget those...

Marianne de Pierres
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Sheep
    Apart from children's novellas... don't forget those...
    my children's work consists mainly of chapter books and short fic. I don't think I could claim anything resembling novel status.

Harcourt have bought one of my SPINOUTS stories for adaption into a little stand alone early reader. It's called 'Techno Trouble' (about kids getting trapped in their computer) and seems to be coming out in hardback. How amazing my first (and possibly only!) HB is for eight year olds. Cool

MDP

Very cool. Lots of good things happening in the MDP camp.

Marianne de Pierres

"Parrish Fan Fic competition"

For anyone that might be interested in a bit of fun (Hobbit?!) there is a Parrish Fan Fic competition running for the the Aussie National Convention.
    Details below:

FLASH PARRISH!

A Parrish Plessis fan fiction competition will be held to celebrate the release of Crash Deluxe, the final chapter of Parrish's exploits, and in honour of Thylacon 2005.

The competition is open to both Con members and non-members and will be judged by Marianne de Pierres and her editor at Orbit, Darren Nash.

Your task is to write a fiction of no more than 600 words, taking Parrish out of her world, and placing her in a contemporary setting where conflict arises - e.g. the hairdresser turns her hair the wrong colour, she gets short-changed at the supermarket, working as a secretary she gets harassed by her boss, etc. It may be as humorous or serious as you like.

Winners of the Con-members section will be published on Marianne's website and in the Thylacon Souvenir Book and will receive autographed copies of Nylon Angel, Code Noir and Crash Deluxe.

Winners of the open section (non-members) will also be published on Marianne's website and in the Orbit e-zine and receive autographed copies of Nylon Angel.

All entries should be submitted to mail@mariannedepierres.com by 1 May 2005. The winners will be announced during Marianne’s Guest of Honour speech at Thylacon 2005.

THYLACON 2005
    National SF & Fantasy Convention: Hobart, Tasmania. 10-13 June 2005
    Guests of Honour: Anne Bishop, Marianne de Pierres & Merv Binns.
    Wrest Point Convention Centre.
    write to: Thylacon PO Box 345, Kingston, TAS, 7051
    email: thylacon@tansyrr.com

Blog Entries
    That sounds cool, Marianne... the thought of 'Parrish at the hairdressers' made me laugh!

Sadly, writing's not my thing - don't get enough time to read the stuff, nevermind write it! but I like the idea. And appreciate that you thought I could do it. (Note to Sheepie - point it out in the Writing section, would you?)

And as an off-topic post (i'm good at those!) - is 'your editor Darren Nash' THE Darren Nash, 'he-who-is-ex-of-Earthlight'? If so, I've heard great things (he comes highly recommended!). If so, sounds like you're in good hands...

Guest of Honour too. Sounds like fun!

Hobbit
    Mark

Marianne de Pierres
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit
    And as an off-topic post (i'm good at those!) - is 'your editor Darren Nash' THE Darren Nash, 'he-who-is-ex-of-Earthlight'? If so, I've heard great things (he comes highly recommended!). If so, sounds like you're in good hands...
    Guest of Honour too. Sounds like fun!
    Hobbit
    Hi Hobbit,

yes he is THE Darren Nash. Lucky me, huh! I must have been good in my last life...or the one before...

GOH will be fun. I love to meet new people and Hobart will be a relaxed and friendly con.

I think I'm on a panel at Interaction. That might be a bit scary.

MDP