Trying to get back into the Fantasy Genre

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been trying to find a good reason to get back into the fantasy genre. For the last year or so I've been addicted to science fiction, from the newest stuff to the classics, but I've been missing fantasyland (the closest I've been is the Waterwalker portion of the Void trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton).

I was wondering what you guys thought of Charles de Lint. I bring this author up because I know he's going to be coming out with a previously worked on but sort of forgotten epic fantasy novel (100,000+ words) and thought that might be a good way to jump back in. I've also read he likes to write something called "urban fantasy" of which I've never heard of.

Any thoughts on this author or any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Charles de Lint is an excellent writer. I didn't know about the epic fantasy story he was working on - thanks for the heads up!

'Urban fantasy' or 'contemporary fantasy' is fantasy set in the modern, real world. It’s akin to TV shows like Buffy or Charmed. You could even consider some episodes of the X-files urban fantasy.

If you'd like to check out the genre, I'd recommend Jim Bucher's Dresdon Files. It's about Harry Dresdon, the only wizard listed in Chicago's telephone book. It's sort of like Sam Spade with magic.
    Last edited by hippokrene; May 4th, 2009 at 04:52 PM.

Hippokrene: thats for the response. Yeah the new (old?) novel was apparently written during the time he was writing Moonheart. What threw me off due to my ignorance is what type of fantasy the story would be. I've been reading up on urban fantasy and as it stands I don't think it'd be something I'd enjoy. His new story is supposed to be epic/high fantasy, so i had to finally make sense of that in mind. Should be coming out in the falls.

Rob B: The woodworks were getting a bit dusty and I though some sunshine would be in order. I went through the Charles de Lint thread already, but it seemed to deal more with his urban fantasy writing than his epic fantasy stuff so I though to start a new topic.

Just add to the older threads, no problem.

As for woodworks getting dusty, as a lurker, I'm sure you've seen all the recommendation-type threads that pop up every week.