Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spears&Buckler
    That second cover is hilarious! Is that a German cover or something?
    That's the Russian cover. And it's not nearly as silly as the French cover, which my vanity forbids me to post . . .

Doug Beekman, a very fine artist, did the original HD cover. No, I do not have cover approval (Del Rey does not grant this even to authors MUCH more successful than I); however, I did see a number of Doug's preliminary sketches and treatments for the cover, and I can attest that the white-bread thing is not wholly his fault. His original concept was exactly the way Hari is described in the novel . . . but I think the Powers That Be found the image too scruffy and sinister-looking. In those days, the Powers That Be had no idea what I was about . . . and none of them had actually read the novel, which Doug had. Every word.

Doug actually wanted to use Ma'elKoth's Great Work as the backdrop -- which I think would have been dynamite -- but the art dept. just wouldn't go for it.

Such is life.

I agree, however, that the mm looks considerably less silly; I'm hoping that the eventual re-issue will look even better.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Ah man, Ma'elkoth's clay would have been an awesome cover.

Any chance of using that for the re-release?

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza
    Ah man, Ma'elkoth's clay would have been an awesome cover.

Any chance of using that for the re-release?
    Dunno. We'll check on it in six months or so . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MWStover
    That's the Russian cover. And it's not nearly as silly as the French cover, which my vanity forbids me to post . . .

Doug Beekman, a very fine artist, did the original HD cover. No, I do not have cover approval (Del Rey does not grant this even to authors MUCH more successful than I); however, I did see a number of Doug's preliminary sketches and treatments for the cover, and I can attest that the white-bread thing is not wholly his fault. His original concept was exactly the way Hari is described in the novel . . . but I think the Powers That Be found the image too scruffy and sinister-looking. In those days, the Powers That Be had no idea what I was about . . . and none of them had actually read the novel, which Doug had. Every word.

Doug actually wanted to use Ma'elKoth's Great Work as the backdrop -- which I think would have been dynamite -- but the art dept. just wouldn't go for it.

Such is life.

I agree, however, that the mm looks considerably less silly; I'm hoping that the eventual re-issue will look even better.
    So we can conclude that the Powers that Be can be idiots, particularly when selling to a foreign market? Whatever happened to market research and focus groups and taste?

Sorry Matt, that was a bit harsh...I am just a bit surprised that such a good idea was sidelined for cheese! I guess that I like understated covers - I think there was a thread where we discussed the fact that different nations have different covers due to taste..
    Last edited by Leiali; March 9th, 2005 at 10:00 AM.

Hey I can edit this! alan empty's Avatar
    The French cover would be this one presumably?

Omigod!

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I find it amusing that the French title means "Heroes Die As Well" or "Heroes Die Too". Why do translations always have to change stuff around?

Book-addict

Omigod

Lol thats priceless! Ooh I got the giggles so hard my sides hurt.
    No wonder your vanity intervened Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by alan empty
    The French cover would be this one presumably?
    Quite.

How can I ever thank you?

In a way that involves neither private pain or public humiliation, that is . . .

*sigh*

I have decided to be a good sport about this.

Reluctantly.

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    I am glad I bought the American version! That one I really wouldn't read at the gym. Sorry Matt. You deserve so much better.

Hey I can edit this! alan empty's Avatar
    Glad to be of service

*makes note to keep head down over at dead cities*

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    The French

Matt, if you think you got a rough deal check this out.

I have this version of Stephen Laws book The Wyrm:

It's okay, it's the original Britisth edition, it has a much swankier cover now...

but this is the French cover!!!

Maybe you should start a thread to see which of our published members have the worst international cover

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza
    Maybe you should start a thread to see which of our published members have the worst international cover
    Wow.

Y'know, the French edition of IRON DAWN (AUBE DE FER) has a dynamite cover: one of my favorites, Theseus slaying the Minotaur from late Greek red-figure pottery. Same publisher.

It also didn't sell squat.

LES HEROES MEURENT AUSSI, on the other hand, is still the only publication of my works to yet earn out its advance. I get royalty checks from France. Little tiny ones, but still . . .

Go figure.

Blog Entries
    I guess you really can't judge a book by its cover.

Now let's talk about good covers. I went to Dave McKean's website (Blade of Tyshalle cover artist) recently, and I did not realize that he has so many album covers. I actually own a few of them. He's done some Dream Theater covers (whom I love), Fear Factory (awesome), and many others. Very talented guy.

I'm thinking for your next book you should pitch a cover with a manly man ripping the bodice of a well endowed woman 'Caine and Pallas Ril - the love that knew no boundaries.' I am sorry but it is too much fun! I take your point about sales Matt, and I guess my jaundiced consumerist eye should not expect packaging to imply content. I think I ought to try not to judge a book by its cover.

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Yeah, but when you go to buy a book, it makes the first impression, unless you know beforehand what you want.

A lot of book cover artists have a history of album cover design. My covers were done by Robert Sammelin who lives in Norway. He did Goth stuff and album jackets, and when we started working together, he was excited about the prospect of book covers. He did a great job and we conversed often. He would email ideas and we'd tweak them and color them etc. He is a real gem, a kind, hardworking artist, low key and professional.

I sat in on a panel discussion at WFC last year on cover art. Four artists who work for major imprints were on the panel. They all said that their contact with the author is minimal throughout the process. I find that so strange. I don't get the point of that. Covers should represent the mood of the book. Why the hell not?