Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar

The Hobbit Movie Thread

Yes LOTR fans, the rumour mill commences with the news we have all been waiting for!!!

Jackson, may make The Hobbit!!!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=8728

Registered as What?
    Well, I guess that we'll see if this rumor is true in 3 to 4 years. Though I'm sure that Jackson will need to find a new Bilbo, since Ian Holm is a bit too old to play the younger version of Bilbo. Though it will be cool to Andy Sedaris(sp?) play Gollum again.

Serkis played Gollum and I agree, that would be excellent!!!

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by juzzza
    Serkis played Gollum and I agree, that would be excellent!!!
    I knew that I had his last name wrong. Thanks for the correction.

I already thought it was confirmed that he was making the Hobbit....

From what I heard it was to be released in 2007.

woooooooooo iwonder if they'llhave the guy that played elrond playinghim again ooh ooh ohh! i wonder who will play beorn ( the bear guy) , wooooo! i cant wait i hope they dont leave anything out. The LOTR films were good but they missed out the best characters- Incl. TOM BOMBADIL!!

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I wouldn't be surprised if they leave out Beorn...

But anyway, of course Jackson will do the Hobbit! But as that article says it's at least 3 years away (I think 5 years is a more likely bet).

I've heard some rumors that Elijah Wood could play the young Bilbo, but I think that would just be terribly confusing. But there's also rumors that Dom Monaghan and Billy Boyd (Merry and Pippin) might play their ancestors, such as the Old Took or the master of Buckland. John Rhys-Davies could possibly play Gloin, Gimli's dad.

Most likely Ian McKellen will also return as Gandalf. And maybe Legolas will make a cameo, since he's the son of Thranduil (the Elf King who imprisons Bilbo and the Dwarves).

Wonder if he's going to try his hand at Sil too.

I doubt it, he'd need a trilogy of trilogies! Just think of the DVD extras!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marymoonshine
    woooooooooo iwonder if they'llhave the guy that played elrond playinghim again ooh ooh ohh! i wonder who will play beorn ( the bear guy) , wooooo! i cant wait i hope they dont leave anything out. The LOTR films were good but they missed out the best characters- Incl. TOM BOMBADIL!!

That Elrond 'guy' would be Hugo Weaving, a very fine actor!

Hey, cool! I would love to see Jackson make a movie of The Hobbit. My six-year old daughter would love it too, since she's crazy about Lord of the Rings but doesn't understand the more adult elements of the storyline...The Hobbit is a simpler and more playful story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    That Elrond 'guy' would be Hugo Weaving, a very fine actor!
    lol i can never remember actors names

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Clearly you're not as obsessed as some of us.

I even know the names of several Orcs, Riders of Rohan, and various other stuntmen and extras!

lol i just have a bad memory when it comes to actors lol. besides the lotr films were by far not as good as the books. Give me a book any day lol.

I think there is going to be one major problem with the Hobbit, primarily for those (pretty fanatical) Tolkien purists who decried any changes whatsoever made to Tolkien's story of the Lord of the Rings.

The problem is this. If the Hobbit is made it will be made solely because the LotR made mega bucks at the box office. That being so, the movie studios backing the film will want a film that is like the LotR. And the Hobbit is not that film. The Hobbit is aimed at a much younger audience and that is an audience that would not bring in nearly as much money. The studios will want it aimed at the same audience that LotR was. That will mean darkening the story line that Tolkien wrote. Having seen the LotR Gandalf they will not want to confuse people with the Hobbit version, who is altogether far more prickley.

For my money the following may well happen;

1. Gandalf will be as per the LotR.

2. The number of Dwarves will be severely downgraded. A 2-3 hour film is not going to be able to give seperate personalities to 12 different Dwarves. I would think we will be left with Thorin (obviously), Balin, maybe Dwalin, possibly Bombur (if they are going for comedic elements), Gloin (for the "fans" ref'ing Gimli) and maybe Fili and Kili, so that they can be killed for Pathos at the end. That would leave somewhere between 4-6 Dwarves which would be a far more manageable number.

3. Talking trolls. Hmmm, this will be extremely difficult to handle after the trolls depicted in the LotR. I can see this being changed to an action sequence.

4. Misty Mountains. This can remain pretty much as is, but I think would be expanded to a large action sequence similar to the Moria sequence.

5. Wargs and the Eagles. For starters the Wargs won't talk. And unless they severely ramp up the number of Orcs and Wargs present, filmgoers will be unsure of why Gandalf and a handful of Dwarves can't kick their asses. After all they will already have seen Gimli going through Orcs to the dozen in the LotR. Additionally the introduction of the Eagles is not as vital as it could be because we have already seen, in LotR, that they help Gandalf and participate in battles. So this sequence could be cut.

6. Beorn will be cut or altered considerably. The scene as is may be seen as too comic, and if there are less Dwarves may not make as much sense. And an immense bear (as seen at the Battle of the Five Armies) may be seen as too implausible. (though given giant spiders et all who knows)

7. Mirkwood, expanded and turned into an action scene. Will they keep the Elves treating the Dwarves badly? Hard to say.

8. Laketown, briefly shown I should think.

9. Smaug and his death will be shown of course.

10. Battle of the Five Armies will be shown, maybe without Beorn and the Eagles though.

That would be my view of how it may pan out.