Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    I don't think everyone should be so negative.

When I heard Jackson was doing LOTR I couldn't believe it! The Jackass who did Bad Taste! Come on, it will suck! And look what he delivered.

It will only fail if the studio does not find someone who loves the source material, as Jackson did/does for LOTR.

The studio took a huge risk in Jackson (as did the Tolkien estate) and there are plenty of good film makers out there.

I vote for Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth), Sturla Gunnarsson (Beowulf & Grendel) or John McTiernan (13th Warrior)... even better would be the brilliant Josh Whedon!

It would be a shame if Sir Ian and Serkis turned down their roles but not the end of the world.

Before LOTR, who the hell knew who Jackson or WETA were? There must be directors and SFX units out there who deserve such a chance with the Hobbit and frankly, the thought of the Troll capture scene, a whole cast of Dwarves and Smaug... makes my entertainbuds (new word coined for this thread (C) ) drooooool.

Shame on you.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar

More Hobbit News...

I see what you're saying, juzzza, and yes I agree that any version of The Hobbit on the big screen will probably be totally amazing. I remember when the main question was whether there ever would be a movie. It looks like it's definitely going to happen now, which is a good thing.

However, you can't expect people to not be disappointed. I never even heard of Jackson when the original trilogy was announced, but now that we all know who he is, and have him to personally thank for making the entire thing possible, people want him to do the job. He's somehow connected to Tolkien's world now, he's familiar and reliable, and having a stranger suddenly take the helm feels wrong.

Anyways, here are some new tantalizing tidbits:

New Line owns the rights to production, and they're saying Jackson is dropped.

MGM, however, owns the rights to distribution. They were the ones who were very vocally keen on getting Jackson. Their spokesman just said that "the issue of Jackson directing The Hobbit film is far from closed".

And as for who the new director might be......? Apparently there are reports from a "reliable source" that Sam Raimi is being approached with the offer. I'd still much prefer Jackson, but this is actually rather good news to me. I love Raimi's Army of Darkness and Evil Dead movies, and I am a fairly big fan of the Spiderman films (although they're not quite dark enough, in my opinion). Hopefully Raimi could pull it off (though I worry a bit about his tendency for lots of humour and comic relief). Also, probably the biggest question, is wheter Raimi is a fan of Tolkien. I just thought of this right now... and I have no idea whether he's even read the books!

Yes, I can see that... I would prefer Jackson to be involved too, absolutely, it would take all concern about the adaptation out of the equation... he's a proven quantity. I just think we have to be open to being amazed (or at least, satisfied) by another film maker as we were with the LOTR movies when Jackson was unknown to most of us or, only linked with poor horror movies and The Frighteners, which I did enjoy. The jump from The Frighteners to bringing to life Middle Earth seemed impossible!

Raimi would be interesting, considering his work on the Xena and Hercules shows... at least he isn't new to genre per se. Whilst I wouldn't like to see this Tv-light style humour for the Hobbit, the book is quite funny and lighthearted... a totally different feel to LOTR. I would be equally disappointed if whoever ends up making it, tried to give it the feel of LOTR.

Alex Proyas would be interesting, I loved the feel of Dark City and The Crow.

You do make a good point: the leap for Jackson to move from low budget zombie flicks to LOTR was one of the most amazing things in film history, IMO. Almost totally unforseeable. I think that, in that light, we do owe any new director the benefit of the doubt.

Another tidbit: Apparently Saul Zaentz (the guy who owns the worldwide rights to any Tolkien films, and made the LOTR films possible) has said that apparently New Line's rights to the Hobbit expire next year; hence, their eagerness to press on and find a director. But Zaentz seems to think it will still be Jackson, and that Jackson is stalling for time, so that next year, when Zaentz regains the rights, Jackson can go to him instead of New Line, who screwed Jackson over.
    Last edited by Evil Agent; October 16th, 2010 at 01:32 PM.

May the Force be with you Rheingold's Avatar
    Retroactively; A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....
    I heard on the IMDb that they were making two separate movies...is that true?

I heard on the IMDb that they were making two separate movies...is that true?
    Apparently so. I'm not sure how I feel about that. If they are both good and faithful to Tolkien's work, then I'll be incedibly happy. But if they just try and squeeze one extra film out of it, purely for the money, who knows...

Apparently one film will be primarily based on the Hobbit, and the second prequel will draw on addition sources, dealing with the events leading up to the Lord of the Rings (whatever that means).

The second one won't be the Silmarillion, then?

Zaentez says the Hobbit WILL be directed by PJ.

No, the second film won't be "The Silmarillion". In fact, there's no way The Silmarillion could be one film. They'd either have to focus on one of the stories/chapters from the book, or else make a whole trilogy of its own.

The Silmarillion would be to confusing for mass consumption in it's entirety I think.

Interesting news about The Hobbit, hopefully New Line can't complete a deal and the rights fall back to Saul Zaentz but either way I'm looking forward to it!

I'm of mixed feelings, really. I don't feel sorry for Jackson in this. I doubt the man has trouble putting food on the table, so I'm thinking if he wants to make the Hobbit, he can make the Hobbit. New Line are not the only greedy ones if he holds out.

That said, it does concern me to think what "version" of the Hobbit we'll get if someone else directs it.

I actually think this should be merged with The Hobbit thread in the TV and FILM forum, where we were already discussing this.
    Last edited by Evil Agent; December 1st, 2006 at 03:54 AM.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Through the magic of the Internet, 'tis merged.

Hobbit
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by wardog25 View Post
    I'm of mixed feelings, really. I don't feel sorry for Jackson in this. I doubt the man has trouble putting food on the table, so I'm thinking if he wants to make the Hobbit, he can make the Hobbit. New Line are not the only greedy ones if he holds out.That said, it does concern me to think what "version" of the Hobbit we'll get if someone else directs it.
    I don't really think feeling sorry for Jackson is the issue. It's more feeling sorry for ourselves and for what might have been--not to mention a bit of general outrage over the greediness of whomever is stalling this! I mean think about it. If MONEY is the issue for New Line or for Jackson, how dumb is that? Having Jackson and his team do the 2 Hobbit movies is MONEY IN THE BANK, scads of money, delirious, neverending, oceans of money. LotR movies raked in, what, a billion in ticket sales alone??

Now after stringing us addicts along for several years with no Tolkien magic on the screen...people will turn out in thunderous herds for a new Hobbit movie! So, if money is the reason, we fans can be legitimately peeved.

Could another director pull it off? Sure. Jackson is not the only talent out there with keen insight into Tolkien's world. BUT, imho, a Jackson made Hobbit Duo would be infinitely better than anyone else. The main reason why is that Jackson has already worked out the kinks. He would immediately have a framework to build off of. He would be able to spend creative energies on brining the story to life rather than, "Oh crap, how am I going to do this?"

There's also something to be said for thematic continuity. Jackson's Hobbit would have the same look and feel, there would be no disconnect, and Middle Earth would seem like one place rather than two. If any of this makes sense. lol

Just my .02

I agree, Wayne. With Jackson and WETA, the transition will be seemless.

However, there's no reason why there should be a disconnect for any other director... they will have seen the LOTR movies and understand the context for the Hobbit. The framework is there for anyone who comes along, the kinks as you say, have been worked out. But I hold to my previous point, in that the Hobbit has/had a different feel and I don't think I would be delighted if the darkness in LOTR was evident in an adaptation of the Hobbit. So even Jackson needs to give it a different vibe. The Hobbit is mainly through Bilbo's POV.