My biggest problem is with -ise and -ize.. some words just don't look right with -ise tacked at the end
Well, Wikipedia (link to article) tells me things aren't really black and white as far as that diffrence goes. I think part of my problem comes from the fact I also speak French, which uses -ise: it's not always easy to know which part of my brain is commanding me to write words a certain way!If I saw 'ize' written, I would assume it was by an American, and would therefore be surprised if it were written by someone from the UK. Perhaps it could be a way of distinguishing us all from each other. Except, I see from what Rhiannon says, for the Canadians who obviously don't have a territorial need to assert their individuality
Okay, so there's American English and The British English. Does that mean Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and the United Kingdom spells things all the same? Except for America? Right?
Indoubtably.
(That was my point.) The word is actually 'indubitably' (a fact that cannot be doubted) but it was my attempt to make a weak joke/pun. (Hence the). Apologies for any confusion.
Leiali said:If I saw 'ize' written, I would assume it was by an American, and would therefore be surprised if it were written by someone from the UK. Perhaps it could be a way of distinguishing us all from each other. Except, I see from what Rhiannon says, for the Canadians who obviously don't have a territorial need to assert their individuality
Technically, there is such a thing as Canadian English as well, which basically means that we can use British or American spellings as we please, so long as we're consistent. This varies a bit, however. For example, on Grade Two spelling tests we could write "favourite" or "favorite" and be right either way. At university, they seem to prefer Canadian or British English to the American.
Am I the only one who finds it odd that the trend in Britain is towards -ise rather than -ize? One would have thought that with the internet and the increasing Americanisation of cultures throughout the world, the opposite is what would have happened. I know that when I was in lycée (high-school in France..) we were encouraged to use the American spellings (and pronunciations). Hrmm.. could it be more of a counter-trend?Linguists do detect a trend in Britain towards "-ise" (despite the OED's preference for "-ize"), so that soon it might actually be the norm. I wonder whether that's an effect of globalisation, and at least in part internet-culture?
Well, when I say encouraged, I don't know if it's in the official guidelines but that seemed to be the trend with most of the teachers I had. Much more time was spent on the history and culture of the United States than that of Great Britain.