May / June 2016 Short Story Contest

Micro flash is tomorrow
Reg. flash isn't until the 23rd. (Thursday)
Deep Breath. :)

I'm in on the Micro already, and I just finished re-writing the Flash into a piece I like. Now to do some minor edits (wish me luck because I'm exactly at 1,000 words) and I'll have that in before the deadline :D
 
I'm in on the Micro already, and I just finished re-writing the Flash into a piece I like. Now to do some minor edits (wish me luck because I'm exactly at 1,000 words) and I'll have that in before the deadline :D
Fingers crossed for you
 
Where can we read the stories from this thread, is there a separate page or just search back through previous pages? and where do we upload our own? I've almost finished mine at last, just got to have a final read through.
 
Where can we read the stories from this thread, is there a separate page or just search back through previous pages? and where do we upload our own? I've almost finished mine at last, just got to have a final read through.
There won't be an official voting thread til the deadline, so yeah the option is to look through the thread or go to the stories subforum and look for the titles with something like (may/june short story ...)
 
Where can we read the stories from this thread, is there a separate page or just search back through previous pages? and where do we upload our own? I've almost finished mine at last, just got to have a final read through.
Upload your story in the subforum and then come back to this thread and post a link so we can find it. I usually go through the posts in the contest thread because I'm less likely to miss stories that way.

So far we only have two All the Heavy Lifting and Succession but more will likely trickle in over the next few days as the deadline gets closer. I

If you have trouble uploading your story, come back here and let us know and someone will walk you through it.
 
Oh man.....I still would like to write something for this one, but I'm not feeling it.....and the deadline is looming....:eek:
 
Well, I'm still coming up blank....but I offer this for inspiration...

"..Little Assassin, Ore Going Deep for My Heart..."


One of my absolute favorite poems "The Gift" by Li-Young Lee one of a handful of poets I would die for. Was going to post the text but ran across the above where he reads the poem himself (I had never seen/heard him read it...wow! Just the way I imagined when reading it myself) He is an amazing poet and has an incredible family history.

At least it involves metal. :)
 
Last edited:
Wow I came out of that three day metal festival alive...if barely. Three days of inebriated bliss. Coming down is rough to put it mildly (eight hours of sleep between Thursday and Sunday, continuous fun with no responsibilities...recommended, will do again).

Anyway, what is definitely not alive, is my short story. The draft, still missing two scenes.. I just didn't find the words to make it shine. Maybe it was because of a genre I've never tried; maybe because the characters ended up too bland...and I think I went with the wrong narrative style..bah. POV didn't really work...a mess with potential.

And I'm just not getting that time I need to salvage and rebuild, despite wanting to. It will have to wait for another opportunity. I thought it was a very cool theme this time so it hurts a little extra :cool::p

I'm not sure I'll be online once deadline hits, so if you haven't seen a voting thread by the end of July 1st, feel free to make one.
 
Last edited:
Well, just popping my head in to remind you I am still in fact alive after going dark for a couple weeks. Busy, busy, busy is all I can say. It's annoying when life does that to you and writing seems so, so far off in the distance. Totally missed deadlines for micro and flash fictions. Hoping I get the short story in by deadline, however impractical it seems.
 
Wait....wait.....I think I'm getting an idea.....something......maybe......
nope it's gone, musta just been gas.
 
Hemingway said.... (in A Moveable Lunch) "I have written before, I will write again....Just write one true sentence........"

This is my one true sentence, if anything goes wrong I can always back up to the one true sentence:

'The day the Metal Men arrived was the day everything changed.'


I've got four days, what could go wrong?
 
Last edited:
Wow I came out of that three day metal festival alive...if barely. Three days of inebriated bliss. Coming down is rough to put it mildly (eight hours of sleep between Thursday and Sunday, continuous fun with no responsibilities...recommended, will do again).

Anyway, what is definitely not alive, is my short story. The draft, still missing two scenes.. I just didn't find the words to make it shine. Maybe it was because of a genre I've never tried; maybe because the characters ended up too bland...and I think I went with the wrong narrative style..bah. POV didn't really work...a mess with potential.

And I'm just not getting that time I need to salvage and rebuild, despite wanting to. It will have to wait for another opportunity. I thought it was a very cool theme this time so it hurts a little extra :cool::p

I'm not sure I'll be online once deadline hits, so if you haven't seen a voting thread by the end of July 1st, feel free to make one.

Dude. Just do it. If you've only got two scenes to write you are way ahead of me, I've only got one sentence.
 
I've got about 500 words, another 501 and I'm done, right? :D

ETA: Up to 650 now....and I'm really just now getting rolling. :)

825....
 
Last edited:
Ha! Just hit 1012...that means I'm done right? LOL!
Sorry @Facing I overshot the mark and I've still got a ways to go....at least two, maybe three scenes. :D

Boy that Hemingway....he's a cracker with that one true sentence thing....he's okay. :)
 
'The day the Metal Men arrived was the day everything changed.'

This sounds like the first story I was working on for this month's contest, before I scrapped it for the story I submitted. Initially I dug up an old unfinished piece that's sort of like Terminator, but in a fantasy setting.

Keep at it, I want to see more entries!
 
Okay, I got a complete draft of a story....about 1500 words. Will sleep on it, then do some cleanup over the next couple days before roasting.....um.....ah....posting the story.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top