Reading in Science Fiction, June 2020

Hobbit

Cat Wrangler and Reader
Staff member
Joined
Jul 16, 2001
Messages
18,613
And so to June.... still in lockdown. (But possibly signs of easing.... for some!)

Nevertheless, it is in these strange and uncertain times that perhaps you telling us about what you've been reading in Science Fiction this month is most important. Communication on such matters means that you may feel less alone. Remember, good or bad, we still want to know what you think.

Continue to stay safe and stay well.

Mark
 
Locus Magazine out today says that the book's been handed in...
 
I ordered something from the US and the UK both around the end of March. The US item turned up last week, the UK item (From Goldsboro Books) I'm still waiting on!! There has been a lot in the news about standard international parcels being held up (international express and local delivery get priority), so I'm just going to have to wait a bit longer. A bit frustrating though.
...and delivered today - only took a bit over 2 months!
 
I just pre ordered the new Christopher Priest, The Evidence. Looks like a return to the Dream Archipelago.

I'm reading a collection of JG Ballard stories (in German) - Das Katastrophengebiet (The Disaster Area). Pro-tip: have the English version to hand for reference!
 
I just pre ordered the new Christopher Priest, The Evidence. Looks like a return to the Dream Archipelago.

I'm reading a collection of JG Ballard stories (in German) - Das Katastrophengebiet (The Disaster Area). Pro-tip: have the English version to hand for reference!


Didn't know about it so excellent news - will also get it on release of course; happy to see the author returning to the Dream Archipelago as imho it is the setting of some of his best work; his 9/11 conspiracy theory novel was interesting (had major doubts but it absorbed me) but by the end, it felt like another conspiracy theory novel so to speak and quite forgettable

Back on topic, bought and started L Tidhar's New Atlantis novella (many thanks to the people mentioning it in the thread last month - love the prose and setting and will finish it soon) and also got an earc of the upcoming G Egan novella, Dispersion which sounds truly weird (and obviously very pertinent to our times) - had time for only two pages last night but it looks really good - see blurb below:

"In a world not quite our own, every living thing is born into one of six discrete “fractions” that are incompatible with—and often invisible to—each other. These fractions have coexisted peacefully for centuries, but now a disease has appeared that seems to drag the infected parts of the body into a different fraction. The effects are devastating. Individual victims suffer painful, protracted deaths. Entire communities turn against one another, and a state approaching perpetual war takes hold."
 
And here's the cover:
YdFub8b.jpg


happy to see the author returning to the Dream Archipelago as imho it is the setting of some of his best work; his 9/11 conspiracy theory novel was interesting (had major doubts but it absorbed me) but by the end, it felt like another conspiracy theory novel so to speak
Yes, agree with both points here...
 
I finally managed to get my hands on a Head of Zeus UK copy of Vagabonds by Hao Jingfang (translation Ken Liu). Times are hard so I thought it best to support this independent UK publisher over Saga Press (USA).
 
I finally managed to get my hands on a Head of Zeus UK copy of Vagabonds by Hao Jingfang (translation Ken Liu). Times are hard so I thought it best to support this independent UK publisher over Saga Press (USA).
600 pages of this would be too much. DNF.
 
1WSoMv9.jpg


I read The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

Set ~1,000 years in the future and humans have dominated space-travel through the use of the Alderson Drive that allows instant travel between locations, and have colonised many systems. But when a ship approaches from the coal sack area of space a contingent is dispatched to investigate, leading to a first contact story that is thorough and well-developed.

There's plenty of hard science and astronomical concepts, and interesting aliens with a lot of detail on their physiology, culture and communication methods. The author also does a good job of making their motivations ambiguous throughout; they seem to be calm and welcoming, but there are elements that allow the reader to question otherwise in the back of their mind. I especially liked the second half of the novel as humans visit the "Moties" home planet then things switch up a notch.

There is a big but however!
I found there was an overarching sense of arrogance and sexism that pervades a number of the characters (though the Captain especially). Passages of the novel refer to all the "men" on the ship who make all the decisions, with one token "girl". Admittedly it's probably just a product of it's time in the early 70's, but as a reader you can't get away from it. Also at least the female character is intelligent (an anthropologist) who stands up for herself, but a love interest that develops felt a bit implausible. Many of the characters aren't that likable either, presumptuously referring to an alien Motie in a number of instances as "stupid" and a "moron". The whole vibe just didn't feel great.

That said though, I found this much more prevalent in the early stages of the novel, and by halfway as the story shifts gear it's not as much of an issue. So overall an impressive and detailed first contact novel, weighed down by some unappealing characterisation, and lacklustre dialogue at times.
 
Did not finish M. John Harrison's The Sunken Land Begins to Rise. Read about 100 pages before deciding not to waste any more time. Grim and unremittingly depressing setting, unlikable characters, lots of meandering to little purpose. Not for me, I'm afraid.
found there was an overarching sense of arrogance and sexism that pervades a number of the characters (though the Captain especially). Passages of the novel refer to all the "men" on the ship who make all the decisions, with one token "girl"
Because at one point all the military forces (and certainly in the 1970s) were men only, and the book reflected that? Interesting that Heinlein wholeheartedly supported this book, he being an advocate of greater equality in the genre. But this may have reflected the times they were written for. Been meaning to reread this one for a while myself...
 
Because at one point all the military forces (and certainly in the 1970s) were men only, and the book reflected that?
True, but it was more the approach and language that was a bit off-putting (eg being referred to a "girl" a number of times, even though she's an adult woman).
 
Did not finish M. John Harrison's The Sunken Land Begins to Rise. Read about 100 pages before deciding not to waste any more time. Grim and unremittingly depressing setting, unlikable characters, lots of meandering to little purpose. Not for me, I'm afraid.
I hate when that happens. Vagabonds just wasn't for me either. Luckily I was able to return the book to the online retailer for free. Something I normally only do with damaged books, but there were zero signs of use. I had already put transparent archival plastic around the dustjacket.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top