The last one waffled on a bit much IMO, I got fed up and DNFCan't go wrong with Bobverse, imo. Thoroughly enjoyed that series of books.
Ooh, now there's a blast from the past!
Recently read the Terrence Dicks omnibii, which I enjoyed much more than I thought I would:
Book 1: http://www.concatenation.org/frev/dicks-essential.html
Book 2: http://www.concatenation.org/frev/dicks-essential-vol-2.html
To the best of my memory (it's been a decade) Cryoburn (2010) picks up the series again. Unfortunately I do remember Captain Vorpatril's Alliance quite well, and do not recommend it. Bujold tries to tie up various threads and ideas from quite early in the series, to the detriment of action or even interesting characters.Finished Bujold's Diplomatic Immunity. Perhaps not the best volume in the series (it does take quite a while before the action picks up), but still very enjoyable. Have now however just started Captain Vorpatril's Alliance. And for the first time since I started the Vorkosigan series I wonder whether I'll finish. It says "Bujold" on the cover, it's the familiar universe, familiar characters etc...but the writing is somehow off, not flowing anymore. Ofc Ivan is not as interesting a character as Miles - but even taking this into account, the quality seems to have dropped. Too many sentences that are not very well constructed or, even worse, that interestingAh well, we'll see whether things pick up -- I do hope so!
Agree pretty much. To the best of my memory, this was where my affection for the series started to flag.Flag in Exile
![]()
Put on half pay and temporarily relieved of command in the Royal Manticoran Navy, Honor Harrington retreats to her holdings in Grayson where she is soon given command of a battle squadron. But the historically male dominant society on Grayson is strong and resentment of her status grows among some of the powerful Steadholders, who plot to discredit Harrington and bring about her downfall.
This, the fifth in the Honorverse series, is another decent read and content-wise is set more or less equally in space and on the planet Grayson. The wordage given over to hammering home the bad guys’ religious justifications does become a little tedious at times, but it wasn’t enough to put me off for little surprises me when it comes to human behaviour, especially that of crackpots. Other than that I mostly enjoyed this episode. As for the rest of the series, I will keep moving forward, though I am beginning to suspect that repetitiveness will eventually compel me to at least have a break.
That cover is just terrifying in its naffness. It looks like medieval re-enactment group, who haven't had time to change out of their office clothes, performing on a tv gameshow set, with a stuffed big cat.