The Hard Sci-Fi Dilemma: Balancing Technical Accuracy and Audience Reach

IvanMalikhov

Registered User
Joined
Sep 24, 2026
Messages
12
Hey everyone,
I'm currently working on my very first novel—a hard science fiction story set on a lunar base. As I dig deeper into the writing process, I’ve hit a bit of a dilemma that I’m sure many speculative fiction writers face.
Hard Sci-Fi feels like a very specific, niche genre these days. Readers often lean toward fast-paced space operas, litRPG, or softer sci-fi with fantasy elements. Meanwhile, trying to write strictly within the laws of physics requires an immense amount of legwork.
In the spirit of Andy Weir's The Martian, I spend hours verifying orbital mechanics, structural engineering, environmental controls, exact timelines, and making sure every single "Chekhov’s gun" is grounded in real-world science.
The main challenge is that without a large team of beta readers or immediate technical feedback, it's tough to gauge whether the balance between rigorous realism and dramatic narrative holds up.
How do you guys approach this? For those writing (or reading) Hard SF, do you feel the audience for highly technical, realistic stories is shrinking, or is it just harder to connect with the right niche? How much scientific detail do you usually include before worrying about losing the reader's momentum?
Would love to hear your thoughts!
 
I don't read hard scifi. Sorry that I can't speak from that perspective. However, I can speak from some other angles which I hope you'll find useful. I read history, which is often seen as a dry, recitation of facts from historians who are meticulously detailed. Additionally, I work in an administrative role for medical research ethics where, in my role as an editor, I daily encounter medical and scientific concepts that are far beyond my abilities to understand--we have physicians and specialists who do understand it, so that's covered.

See what I did just there? I didn't simply say what I did, but I added an aside, I spoke directly to you to address any concerns you might have regarding the involvement of this non-medical, non-scientific person in reviewing and approving medical research trials. That's just one tactic you can use to connect with your readers, which I'll speak more on in a minute.

As a writer of other types of scifi and fantasy, I see your question as essentially the same as those of any other writer in our large genres. How much backstory do readers actually need to be informed of and understand before the book begins? Or, before this next part of the book can occur?

I think what you need to do is to find common ground with readers. Yes, you have big scientific principles that are essential parts of your book. You need to simplify them just enough that a lay person can understand them, and make those passages entertaining so readers don't skip them. The way to do this, as I see it, is to connect directly with the lay reader. What do they absolutely need to know? How does this directly affect the characters in this scene?

That last one is the most important for readers. What does the scientific principle mean to the characters in the scene and at that moment? Are the centrifugal/centripetal forces of an out of control spinning spacecraft going to make them dizzy, make it difficult to reach or use the controls they're trying to use, what might happen if they activate the a different control? I this situation, maybe they are bouncing around the cabin, turning on the music that was turned all the way up as they had a dance party the night before and it wasn't reset. There's some physical comedy and/or slapstick that could happen, too. Lots of things.

Try to find the things your garbage man, your postal worker, your waiter/ess at tonight's restaurant might care about in the given situation that is affected, or only exists because of a thing that advanced scientific knowledge can explain.

That's my role in my day job. I ensure all the T-s are crossed and the I-s are dotted, that advanced concepts are simplified and explained at a lower reading level to the extent possible in a paragraph of 3 - 5 sentences. I help ensure the medical research consent forms are understandable to patients with no medical background. And, no, the consent form isn't to be used entirely on its own, but in conjunction with a discussion between the patient and their doctor. In regards to the scientific concepts you're using in writing your hard scifi story, I think your goal should be a review of the concepts, simplify them as much as possible for a paragraph of 3 - 5 sentences (1-2 inches of the page and no more), connect that to the characters, and leave the intricacies of the scientific principle for the reader to research on their own.
 
I don't read hard scifi. Sorry that I can't speak from that perspective. However, I can speak from some other angles which I hope you'll find useful. I read history, which is often seen as a dry, recitation of facts from historians who are meticulously detailed. Additionally, I work in an administrative role for medical research ethics where, in my role as an editor, I daily encounter medical and scientific concepts that are far beyond my abilities to understand--we have physicians and specialists who do understand it, so that's covered.

See what I did just there? I didn't simply say what I did, but I added an aside, I spoke directly to you to address any concerns you might have regarding the involvement of this non-medical, non-scientific person in reviewing and approving medical research trials. That's just one tactic you can use to connect with your readers, which I'll speak more on in a minute.

As a writer of other types of scifi and fantasy, I see your question as essentially the same as those of any other writer in our large genres. How much backstory do readers actually need to be informed of and understand before the book begins? Or, before this next part of the book can occur?

I think what you need to do is to find common ground with readers. Yes, you have big scientific principles that are essential parts of your book. You need to simplify them just enough that a lay person can understand them, and make those passages entertaining so readers don't skip them. The way to do this, as I see it, is to connect directly with the lay reader. What do they absolutely need to know? How does this directly affect the characters in this scene?

That last one is the most important for readers. What does the scientific principle mean to the characters in the scene and at that moment? Are the centrifugal/centripetal forces of an out of control spinning spacecraft going to make them dizzy, make it difficult to reach or use the controls they're trying to use, what might happen if they activate the a different control? I this situation, maybe they are bouncing around the cabin, turning on the music that was turned all the way up as they had a dance party the night before and it wasn't reset. There's some physical comedy and/or slapstick that could happen, too. Lots of things.

Try to find the things your garbage man, your postal worker, your waiter/ess at tonight's restaurant might care about in the given situation that is affected, or only exists because of a thing that advanced scientific knowledge can explain.

That's my role in my day job. I ensure all the T-s are crossed and the I-s are dotted, that advanced concepts are simplified and explained at a lower reading level to the extent possible in a paragraph of 3 - 5 sentences. I help ensure the medical research consent forms are understandable to patients with no medical background. And, no, the consent form isn't to be used entirely on its own, but in conjunction with a discussion between the patient and their doctor. In regards to the scientific concepts you're using in writing your hard scifi story, I think your goal should be a review of the concepts, simplify them as much as possible for a paragraph of 3 - 5 sentences (1-2 inches of the page and no more), connect that to the characters, and leave the intricacies of the scientific principle for the reader to research on their own.
Thanks for the feedback. Good point on focusing on how physics directly affects the characters in the scene rather than over-explaining the tech. That’s definitely the right balance to hit.
 
I would disagree that hard sf requires a certain density of technical exposition to qualify for its genre. It simply means that whatever 'science' is offered correctly - not even necessarily explained in any detail.

With all fiction, the exposition needs to serve the needs of the plot. Those science details provide either the setting, the problems or the solutions. But the plot needs to be about the choices characters make that are somewhat unrelated to what would be the technical solution. Stories are about human choices. The exposition can only support the story, not be the story.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top