Work was busy the past three days. And, before that, I was stuck on the next chapter in Relics and procrastinating hard. I'm still procrastinating, but I've at least opened my outline/pre-written version and begun reading over it to identify what's essential in the new version I need to plan.
Did I say before that I entered a short story in Spillwords' Halloween contest? Well, I did, getting it in on the last day of the submission period. No word yet, but I'll know soon, so fingers crossed! Actually, I originally wrote the story for a Halloween contest here at SFFWorld. It's changed a bit since then, but if you want to read the early versions, check out the 2023 microfic version
Strange Summoning or the longer, but still shorter than the current version, spring 2024 flash fiction version
The Summoning. Just some good Halloween fun about a little girl summoning a big scary demon at Halloween.
I've also made progress on Snowbound Yule--a Victorian Era fantasy following teens who stay at their boarding school where they learn magic over the Yule/Christmas holiday and the dangers they face during that time. And I've had ideas for two other stories.
The contemporary fantasy Lake Proper novella I wrote this summer is the third story in its internal chronology, but I have yet to write either of the two prequel ideas I have. The middle story is a strong concept, but barely formed. The earliest has a lot more ideas to it, but seems to be two very different stories between the first and second halves. Well, I thought this week that while I like and want the stuff in the slow, cozy fantasy first half, maybe I really need to focus on the second half of the story idea and work in the first half stuff as background rather than showing it in its entirety. I like that thought which means, ofc, that now I have to put some effort into exploring and developing it.
The last idea I've had this week was about another, unrelated high/epic fantasy novella I partially wrote in 2022/2023 before getting stuck on some point of philosophical/religious debate in the story--it follows a paladin who's at odds with certain members of her church. Anyhow, I had the idea that while I liked the paladin's adventures in that particular story, I might need to write an earlier tale with her going about her normal, paladin life before getting into something like in that story.
I see your surprise at how all my work seems to be part of a series--even The Summoning (now a short story) is the first is a series of short stories about the characters, and Snowbound Yule is a standalone entry that's part of a planned series following some of its characters in life after school LOL. However, the very first stories I ever wrote were epic fantasy series. Two of them. Then a contemporary fantasy series. So, now that you know that, are you still surprised?
