April 2016, Micro-Fiction Contest

Window Bar

We Read for Light
Joined
Nov 19, 2009
Messages
1,720
All right, I've got a bead on the April micro-fiction contest theme. Sorry Kenny, it's not squirrels. Last night was a major dream night for me, so the notion of hallucinations was sort of pushing itself forward, and who am I to argue? So that's it: Hallucination(s). As usual (maybe even more than usual) the theme can be interpreted broadly, narrowly, upside-down or rightside-up. Have fun.

********************************************

THEME: HALLUCINATION(S)
WORD COUNT LIMIT: 100 words maximum.
DEADLINE: April 23, 2016

So jump right in, one and all. Let's explore the parts of our minds that defy exploration.

If you are new to the contests, here's a general outline of what to do:

1) Think of a story idea that includes speculative fiction elements (fantasy, science fiction, horror elements) and fits the theme stated above
2) Write story
3) Edit story
4) Post story in the Stories sub-forum. Title your work with some facsimile of "April 2016 Micro-Fiction: Story Title," so it will be easily identified as an entry in this contest.
5) Come back here and post a note that you have posted your story. In your posting, provide a link to that story (makes it easier for readers to find your story, and for your global fan network to award the millions of votes you deserve.)
6) Read the other entries and offer comments that help the writer both know what they did right and what they did wrong (in your humble opinion)
7) Vote when the voting poll goes up. This is extremely important. Unless all entrants vote, the voting loses its basic fairness. We cannot maintain a level playing field when a specific entrant can receive votes while not bestowing votes.

The winner takes over the next contest and has the honor of picking its theme.

CONTEST GUIDELINES:

PG-13 - generally, the forum restricts its contents to what would be acceptable at the PG-13 rating. However, we are lenient for creative purposes in the writing forum. Please warn readers if your story contains adult situations.
Once you post your contest entry, we discourage writers from altering the original text submitted. While it may be okay to change a few typos here and there, please do not revise your piece substantially. If you would like to respond to feedback, you are encouraged to post your revision within the thread (but not the original post).
Please refrain from voting for your own story.

***************************
Okay, let's put the wild side of our brains to work.
 
Now I get to spend the rest of my work day thinking of stories beyond the simple "my main character had a hallucination" scenario. I was checked out for the week anyway ;)
 
Now I get to spend the rest of my work day thinking of stories beyond the simple "my main character had a hallucination" scenario. I was checked out for the week anyway ;)

Maybe your main character IS a hallucination. :)
 
Dear Abby--

The problem with the hallucination theme is that I'm likely to remember having posted a story, yet discovering it's never even been written. Of course, that event becomes the story, but it still has to be written. Sign me -- "Confused."
 
Last edited:
It is a popular thing from another forum I frequent. A way of bookmarking a post so you receive updates etc.

All you got to do is click the "watch thread" link at the top (upper right just above the first post).
 
Wow! Great theme! I had a rather good dream night last night too, you see I often will fall asleep meditating on a single object, and last night I chose a pure white rose. Well as soon as I was asleep and dreaming I became aware, and thought 'I know! I'll make a white rose appear and grow out of my hand.' The first attempt failed, I made something green and tatty, but when I tried again I put some real power into it, and boom! I shot up a whole bunch of beautiful white roses out of my hand, they grew to be quite long. Getting to that stage of being able to control your dreams always seems like a great breakthrough to me :)
 
Back
Top